• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Best Vista x64 driver for "Dual Boxing" on 1 PC?

I originally had the 185.85 drivers installed and was able to "Dual Box" on my PC with two Windower FF11's running at once, but despite the framerates being easily playable on each game window, I was getting massive texture flickering.

I downloaded the nvidia 169.25's which are very old, and the framerates are absolutely brutal when doing this vs the 185.85's, but no texture flickering

Does anyone here know of a driver that works well with this method of dual-boxing?

Please no "Use another PC" posts. Stay on this topic please

Appreciate any input

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Incase anyone was also curious about this, the 178.24 driver for Vista x64 works perfectly, no flickering, no drop in framerate when playing the game in two windows. I even had both games running fullscreen mode 1920x1200, good stuff

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

thanks for this post, i don't play FFXI much these days, and when i started it up today i almost shit myself when i saw that flicker lol.

I thought my video card was breaking down, but it was odd because i play stuff like Prototype and Team Fortress 2 all the time with 0 glitches, anyway ty again.

holy fuck lol I just experienced this upgrading the graphics (I had issues with my pc freezing with the ones that Windows 7 intially pickedup) Thanks so much for the save!

(Edit) So i tried to install windows vista 64 bit drivers that you suggested, and it won't work on Windows 7 D: most updated Nvidia drivers for windows 7 also give texture flicker, guess I need to find older drivers =(

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I had a problem similar to this on my x64 laptop using the laptop2go modded nVidia drivers. Can't say I've ever had the problem on my desktop though (x64 as well).

I recently upgraded both desktop and laptop (about a month ago) to the newest nVidia drivers and haven't had a problem with flickering while dual-boxing on either one.

Note: My desktop video drivers do rarely crash and kill FFXI (every few days tops) when the video driver stops working and resets itself. I think this is more an issue with the recently added support for multiple monitors running through SLI video cards though. Happens regardless of whether I've got 1 or 2 instances of FFXI open though.

Edit: New drivers out June 18th according to nVidia's site. I'll try and remember to update and let you know which version of drivers I'm running on my desktop/laptop when I get home from work.