+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level

Moving out of U.S. Halp plz

Anyone know what agencies and what not I have to contact if I plan to move out of the country?

Anyone know how dual citizenship works? Say American's are allowed 30 days in a Thailand, and I'm there as a Thai citizen for 2 years. How does the American passport work? I only have an American Passport atm. so I can only get that one stamped first, then get a thai passport over there.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

You have to apply for a visa like anyone else coming into the United States. Find the Thai embassy, apply for a visa (you need a reason, such as employment offer or student) and then emigrate.

Most Visas are only good for 30-90 days depending on reason. You can't just go somewhere. Travel requirements and immigration requirements depend completely on where you're going... so as I said... contact the nearest Thai embassy.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Eh, he shouldn't need a Visa if he has a Thailand citizenship.

Thailand - you don't need a Visa to enter Thailand(for 30 days&less, even with a US passport.). Besides, you should be able to get a Thai passport from Thailand embassy in united states if you don't want to deal with it there(again, assuming that you have a citizenship).

BG Level

Well, no. If he has citizenship there he doesn't. He didn't say he was American-Thai... I assumed he meant he wanted dual-citizenship.

E. Body
    BG Level

To clarify. I have Dual-citizenship. But the Thai's stuck me in the central registry(basically means I'm unaccounted for according to them), since I haven't dealt with their government for so long . So I can't get a Thai passport until I go in person.

So I need to get a stamp on my U.S. Passport, then get the thai passport over there. So dunno what the U.S. will say if I'm there "illegally", but the Thai gov. shouldn't care.

Planning to stay a rather long term there. Dunno how to report it in U.S. Tax-wise, social security-wise, etc. (Just the government stuff).

BG Level

They won't care.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

If you plan on entering with your US passport and leaving with your US passport (thai's have a hard time getting visa's on thai passports) then you will probably want to go the thai embassy and apply for a one year multiple entry visa. As a US citizen I wasn't able to get a 1 year visa in Thailand, but since you hold dual citizenship you may be able to. Call one of the embassies and find out.

I was in Thailand from last Sept till April. In order to return on your US passport and not get fined (500 baht a day over your visa) you may need to keep your visa up to date. You will have to do visa runs by bus or plane to certain countries (I know Malaysia is one, maybe Cambodia) where you can get 60+30 day visas.

As far as taxes go, I haven't done anything, though I read that it is unlawful for US citizens to be out of the country for more than 90 days. . . but whatever, I'll find out July 2nd when I try to get back into the states lol.

E. Body
    BG Level

Nah, just wondering about taxes cuz my friend says it's a good idea to keep the social security benefits over here going. I know you can be out of country from U.S., I think if you're out for at least 6 months u even get a tax break so I'm not sure where you heard that it's unlawful

Yea, I was worried about the extending visa shit too. Would be stupid if I had to do that as a dual-citizen, but iono I haven't dealt with stuff like that for a while. And I wasn't the one to pay/take care of it when I did

Quote Originally Posted by 510Meeze View Post
    If you plan on entering with your US passport and leaving with your US passport (thai's have a hard time getting visa's on thai passports) then you will probably want to go the thai embassy and apply for a one year multiple entry visa. As a US citizen I wasn't able to get a 1 year visa in Thailand, but since you hold dual citizenship you may be able to. Call one of the embassies and find out.

I was in Thailand from last Sept till April. In order to return on your US passport and not get fined (500 baht a day over your visa) you may need to keep your visa up to date. You will have to do visa runs by bus or plane to certain countries (I know Malaysia is one, maybe Cambodia) where you can get 60+30 day visas.

As far as taxes go, I haven't done anything, though I read that it is unlawful for US citizens to be out of the country for more than 90 days. . . but whatever, I'll find out July 2nd when I try to get back into the states lol.
    If he's a Thai citizen he shouldn't even need a Thai Visa. You just...go. And that 90 day thing isn't true except under very explicit circumstances I don't remember.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Ask Sathfenrir (A user on this forum)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Iono View Post
    To clarify. I have Dual-citizenship. But the Thai's stuck me in the central registry(basically means I'm unaccounted for according to them), since I haven't dealt with their government for so long . So I can't get a Thai passport until I go in person.

So I need to get a stamp on my U.S. Passport, then get the thai passport over there. So dunno what the U.S. will say if I'm there "illegally", but the Thai gov. shouldn't care.

Planning to stay a rather long term there. Dunno how to report it in U.S. Tax-wise, social security-wise, etc. (Just the government stuff).

the U.S. doesnt care where you go, only thing you should need to worry about is the thai government(work/school/tourist visa ect.) generaly if you're just there on a visa you only need to register for similar version of a SSN(if they have one), get a drivers license(if you need one)and let their imagration agency know if you have a change of adress.

as for U.S., only thing i can think to do when i was outside the country is to file any earnings you had for that year come tax time, close all revolving credit/accounts you dont need anymore. its really no different than just being un-employed for the time your gone.

contacting a thai embassy or INS agency for thailand would still be the best choice rather than risk time in a thai jail over advise you got from the webbernetz game forum :3

E. Body
    BG Level

I think I pretty much got my bases covered. Just coming to see if anyone has any other thoughts of what I'm supposed to do, that I don't know of.

Short Yellow Bus Driver
    BG Level

I briefly read through this, so sorry if someone else mentioned it who has experience.
    my girlfriend has dual-citizenship with the UK, so when she leaves the US, she uses her US passport, and lands in the UK, she uses her UK passport. Reversed for coming back to the states. You're a citizen of either country, so the way they see it, you're free to leave at any point, what you do is up to the other country (needing an entry visa) but since you're a citizen of your destination, you don't need a visa.

A Thai consulate will have all the authority to issue you a passport and put you back in the system.

Keep in mind, should you lose your US passport in Thailand, replace it at a consulate, but if for some reason you don't (im not sure if the US restricts thai immigration, EU can come for awhile w/out any special paperwork iirc), you WILL have a "limited time" to stay here, although you are citizen, just because you came in on your thai passport instead of your US passport.

If you're planning on coming back to the states, its best to keep everything rolling. My family went to Saudi for 2 years and it was soooooooo much easier to not deal with it.

If it's confusing, you're probably close to understanding.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Don't people just marry thai girls and get automatic citizenship there? lol ONLY 5000 bahts!?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by wop View Post
    Don't people just marry thai hookers and get automatic citizenship there? lol ONLY 5000 bahts!?
    Fixed that question. Most people that marry hookers take them home to their home country and have children.

I know the owner of the gym where I trained had to do a visa run to Australia (he's kiwi) to apply for a 1 year visa. I'm pretty sure he was married to his hooker, but not 100%.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

beware of thai hookers, you cant tell which one used to be a man....

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    beware of thai hookers, you cant tell which one used to be a man....
    Your avatar mesmerizes and creeps me out at the same time...

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kiki Tsakiki
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I moved to Canada 12 years ago from the US and am now a dual citizen. The US taxes its citizens based on citizenship, not residency, and you must file US tax forms every year, no matter where you live. There are specific forms for Foreign Income and Foreign Tax Credit to fill out in addition to the normal 1040 and assorted schedules you'd use while living in the US. Depending on the country and whether or not there's a tax treaty between it and the US, you may end up owing no tax to the US, but you still have to file.

See Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad for more details.

Dolmen

Quote Originally Posted by Tsakiki View Post
    I moved to Canada 12 years ago from the US and am now a dual citizen. The US taxes its citizens based on citizenship, not residency, and you must file US tax forms every year, no matter where you live. There are specific forms for Foreign Income and Foreign Tax Credit to fill out in addition to the normal 1040 and assorted schedules you'd use while living in the US. Depending on the country and whether or not there's a tax treaty between it and the US, you may end up owing no tax to the US, but you still have to file.

See Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad for more details.

This. My firm has numerous clients that reside outside of the US, but they're still US citizens so they are required to file tax returns. Basically, they file as a sort of expatriate.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Just curious, any Thai FFXI players here?