+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

what is your most embarassing obsession?

some people collect shit. my boss is considering devoting an entire room to Elvis in her new home. me? I know more about Tori Amos than any human being has a right to (first single: Baltimore, age 13. was homecoming queen. had three miscarriages. attended the Peabody Conservatory but was kicked out for her love of rock and her refusal to read sheet music. I could go on and on...) I also have oh... 40 or so of her various singles? and that's still not half of what I could own.

so, posters of BG, what are you obsessed about? star wars? star trek? secret collection of rainbow brite and my little pony dolls? can you recite the tracklist from every Journey album in order, including the singles? do you secretly own every movie the Olsen twins ever made?

do tell.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

My DBZ cards/figures.

I also have lots of the "wooden train sets" (forgot the brand name)
    And a whole collection of the thomas the tank engine train toys

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

I'm obsessed with people who are obsessed with Tori Amos. How you doin.

I collect DVD's at 230ish now. People think I'm weird when I tell them :/. Transformer toys as well, can't forget about them.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

I collect DVD's too.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

The internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kajii View Post
    The internet.
    And glassblowing, but I have neither the money, nor the training to be any good at it. Btw, anyone want to buy some pieces off of me?

Annihilation Banwave
    sprout sprout sprout
    2031 No.1 Draft Pick
    Pittsburgh Penguins

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Probably collecting dvd's. Especially zombie movies or horror movies in general. Other than that, I actually play pinball with a bunch of guys in a league. Fuck you I know I'm a dork. Hmm I used to read comics but quit. But now I have four giant boxes of them in my closet gathering dust.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

And here I was expecting you to be a PJ Harvey fan Yuri....

I'm a huge Depeche Mode fan. I have every single album and DVD and know a ton about the band.

I also collect vinyl and have some rare items I'm pretty proud of.

Finally, I have an exhaustive digital collection of old school / rare soccer matches; primarily focused around Chelsea FC and the Swedish NT... but I have a lot of other stuff too, including all 15 DVDs of "The Premiership Years".

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by volcanicweather View Post
    And here I was expecting you to be a PJ Harvey fan Yuri....

I'm a huge Depeche Mode fan. I have every single album and DVD and know a ton about the band.

I also collect vinyl and have some rare items I'm pretty proud of.

Finally, I have an exhaustive digital collection of old school / rare soccer matches; primarily focused around Chelsea FC and the Swedish NT... but I have a lot of other stuff too, including all 15 DVDs of "The Premiership Years".
    oh I love Polly Jean (and if you were guessing by my name, you were right), just not as much as I love Tori. she was the first musician I ever obsessed over. although she's not as good now as she used to be, I'm not a big fan of her career post-Scarlet's Walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodwahh View Post
    I'm obsessed with people who are obsessed with Tori Amos. How you doin.
    hey baby

Airplanes.

Been wanting to fly since I was like 3. Wrote a letter to the Navy requesting information on being a naval aviator at like 6, got back a whole packet of information, lulz.

Designed my own single-seat aircraft, complete with in-flight manuals, propulsion systems (simple peddle-props, lol) and dynamics at around 8. Already had Bernoulli's Theorem written out on like every book I owned, as well as a simple understanding of fluid dynamics. Routinely crafted model airplane wings out of wooden dowels, linens / thick paper etc, and would hold them out the door of the car to get them to fly / optimize their shape / curvature for maximum lift. Made paper airplanes all day every day- I bought the fancy books from Barnes n Noble that taught you how to make all the best designs. For a while had the record-holders for paper airplane flights memorized.

Took flying lessons, played all the flight simulators (combat and civilian) and would fly virtual airliner flight paths on Flight Sim 98... The entirety of them. (I'd set up a 14 hour flight from LA to Australia and leave it overnight on autopilot, similar to what real pilots do- I'd be awake for takeoff, approach, and landing.)

I can name most civilian airliners by sight, sometimes down to the engines they carry, as well as most US fighters / bombers and some foreign (SU, MiG, etc)

Its pretty sad, but I love it.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Just magic cards. :/

I have few obsessions, none of which I am embarrassed about. An obsession with buying cheap musical instruments off eBay and teaching myself how to play them? Not really embarrassing, but I am running out of room to keep them all. A knowledge of several hours' worth of folk tunes on five instruments without the need for a scrap of sheet music? Again, not embarrassing, and actually occasionally useful.

Those aren't really obsessions though, are they? It's just stuff I enjoy, and stuff I'm good at. I'm no more "obsessed" with music than I am "obsessed" with the intellectual history of late imperial China (fascinating though it is).

I suppose I'm moderately obsessed with recording music, and trying to get a perfect guitar/bass tone, but once again that's not embarrassing to me. I'm afraid I can't beat the walking Tori Amos Wikipedia page.

2600klub
    ǝƃuɐɥɔ ǝlʇıʇ ɥʇ01 ǝɥʇ ǝʞıl sı sıɥʇ ƃɯo ʎuunɟ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ɥɐlq ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ puǝıɹɟ ʇsǝq s,poƃ ǝsɹoɥ ǝɥʇ sı ǝɥ ǝǝǝǝǝǝlopuɐʌ

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Vandole Horsegod
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

uh, i have a gundam model and a star trek enterprise hanging from my ceiling.

i like palindromes too.

i'm obsessed with the mars volta too, incase you can't tell.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Argent Dawn

Collecting vanity items in games has gone somewhat past an obsession into a sad ritual and I always collect manga of anime i've already watched.

And they're spectacular!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mitzy Mystfire
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Titan

While I stopped actively collecting a few years ago after I purchased my home, I have a fairly large collection of game music CDs. I frst started collecting in my early 20's, and many of my original purchases were of "official bootlegs" produced out of China. When I finally realized that they were not the offically licensed product, I went back and replaced every one of them with the original production. A thousand or so dollars later, my OCD was sated.

If I had to estimate, I probably spent somewhere around 6-7k USD over the course of a few years in amassing my collection. I have about 400 or so unique CDs (not including the bootlegged duplicates), accounting for well over 150 different games. The vast majority of my shopping came from gamemusic.com. They import almost everything from Japan, so most of these CDs are pricey compared to dometically-produced ones. I'd venture a guess that I was their #1 retail customer back in the day.

Sadly, having a mortgage payment and a GF has hampered my disposable income, and I don't have a single CD from any current-gen game.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Obsession with collecting and storing tutorials of any kind. I have about 15gb of After Effects video tutorials, and I haven't opened AE since starting my collection.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

hangovers

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I also have a collection of key cards from every hotel I've been to and can tell you exactly where each one is from. I started doing it as a kid because I just thought key cards were some really cool, crazy futuristic thing.

When I was a kid I also collected the small shampoo and conditioner bottles they gave you, not anymore though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast