+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Summer New Game Release discussion (Jun/July/Aug)

Haven't made one of these posts in a few months... Summer is typically either very hit or miss in terms of releases, with either a few blockbusters among a sea of shovelware or virtually no games of note. This year seems to be something of an exception, with a bunch of big name anticipated titles (especially in august) coming out before things start really ramping up in September for the holiday season.

What are you all planning on picking up this summer? Anything you're really looking forward to? Here are most of the big releases:

Out this week, week of 6/22:
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor (DS) - SMT meets sRPG looks like it'll be amazing, anyone pick this up/pirate yet?

Fallout 3: Point Lookout (360) - Already covered in fallout thread but this is pretty much worth the 800 points. Supposedly PS3 Fallout DLC is on the way this summer too!

Overlord 2, Overlord Minions, and Overlord Dark Legends (360/PS3, DS, Wii) - The original Overlord was a somewhat shallow but otherwise good overlooked game. Overlord 2 has gotten decent reviews so far, not too sure about the DS/Wii versions but I'm not huge on Wii adaptations so who knows.

Also out this week: Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil a remake of the original remake.

Week of 6/29:
    Flower, Sun, and Rain (DS) - Everyone loves Suda 51/Grasshopper games (Killer 7, No More Heroes), this looks like about as off the wall interesting as their other stuff.

BlazBlue (PS3/360) - I'm not a huge fighting game fan but people seem to really be looking forward to this, I guess because it's like Guilty Gear?

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (PSN/XBLA) - I can't help but wonder if capcom is releasing MVC2 this week to compete with BlazBlue, but I expect this to be a huge release as well.

Also this week: C.O.R.E. (DS) - An FPS with local multiplayer.

Week of 7/6:
    Infinite Space (DS) - Spaceship RPG for DS, this one has done really well in Japan so far. Being made by Platinum Games, former Clover employees who made Madworld/Bayonetta.

Tales of Monkey Island (PC, WiiWare) - More episodic adventure gaming ala Sam & Max, people have been really looking forward to this. I expect we'll see an XBLA release eventually, and the re-release of the first Monkey Island on PSN/XBL should happen this summer as well.

Trine (PSN, PC, XBLA) - Not sure if only the PC version will be out this week, but a demo is up already. Looks to be like a lot of fun and a great multiplayer game.

Also out in July: Unbound Saga (PSP), a arcade/comic book-style beat-em-up; Little King's Story (Wii), a sim RPG from the makers of Hotel Dusk and published by Xseed.

Week of 8/3:
    Phantom Brave (Wii) - A port of the PS2 version, which I've never played. Any good?

Wolfenstein (PC, 360, PS3) - A new game, the sequel to Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Looks vaguely promising but who knows if the series is out of gas.

Week of 8/10:
    Mana Khemia 2 (PS2) - Atlus keeps on cranking out ps2 games. The first mana khemia was supposedly good, if you're an atelier iris fan.

Week of 8/24: (big week!)
    Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (DS) - Can't wait, the original was great!

Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii) - Technically a rerelase/repackaging but yea...

Cursed Mountain (Wii) - Interesting looking survival horror for the wii, why is it front page news when an M-rated wii game comes out?

Disgaea 2 (PSP) - expect bonus material over the ps2 version.

Dissidia: Final Fantasy (PSP) - Lots of people have played this already, but I'm sure it's a really anticipated title regardless.

Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3/360) - Another of the big summer action games. Looks promising but I'll wait for reviews.

Darksiders (PS3/360) - Described as Zelda for grownups, hopefully it's good. My personal pick for most anticipated game.

Also in August: Madden NFL 10 which gamestop is already pushing, Fifa 10, Afrika (PS3) finally, does anyone care?, and I Am Alive (PS3/360), an interesting looking survival horror game without the horror.

That's about it, someone let me know if I missed anything.

Personally I'll probably pick up Darksiders day 1 if it gets at least semi-decent reviews, although it seems like the kind of game that will drop in price pretty quickly. Professor Layton is a must play for me as well, as is (maybe) Flower, Sun & Rain. For whatever reason I'm not really looking forward to Dissidia but that might change when I start to hear people talk about it more. I'll be following I Am Alive as well. Other than that I'm not overly thrilled about that much stuff coming out, which I guess is a good thing considering I still have an assload of games on my backlog.

What are you most looking forward to? What are you going to pick up day 1? What looks promising?

New Odin
    BG Level

Can't wait to get to play the new Tales of Monkey Island... I loved the newer Sam & Max episodes, hopefully guybrush will deliver as well!

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Only games you listed I'm looking forward to are BlazBlue and Professor Layton. BlazBlue doesn't even have a release date in Europe though. I'll probably have to import it, I got so hyped for it before I realized it wasn't being released here.

Dissidia was damn fun, I got around 100 hours playtime out of it before I started to tire of it, entirely single player.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    Week of 7/6:
    Tales of Monkey Island (PC, WiiWare) - More episodic adventure gaming ala Sam & Max, people have been really looking forward to this. I expect we'll see an XBLA release eventually, and the re-release of the first Monkey Island on PSN/XBL should happen this summer as well.
    hell yea!

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Blazblue is the only thing I plan on getting and I may get Disgaea 2 for psp because I never played the ps2 version. I haven't touched a madden game since '08 and '10 has co-op online so that pleases me into wanting to buy it.

Dissidia also because I still haven't downloaded it and I'd rather play the NA version anyway. I'm not entirely sure if I'm going to buy darksiders but I'll rent it.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

BlazBlue isn't just 'like' guilty gear, it's its spiritual successor and looks to be the same kind of awesome mix of 'what the hell is that' character design and combo dancing that GGX fans love. I've been waiting on this one forever and it's a good thing I got my Hori sticks shipped in earlier so I can use them out of the gates rather than have to transition from pad -> stick like with SF4.

Trine looks amazing. It's LBP's coop platforming without shitty controls? SOLD.

I should also mention that for you iPhone owners, Mass Effect Galaxy is out today. I think it ties into the story of ME2, and it's only $2.99, but I'm not sure how much I like the idea of top down shooting.

I had heard they were going to make some sort of ME-related announcement today, I hope that's not it

CustomTitle
    Banned for Duping
    HOT LITTLE SNATCH

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jam Valesti
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan

Ugh, I heard that something from the iPhone ME game would carry over into ME2, I hope they don't restrict anything unless you have it.

Do you think actual content will carry over, or will it just be the stories that are related? I can't imagine how annoying it'd be to import stuff from the iPhone game when that's more or less being released as an impulse purchase.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Wow, so many good titles. C'mon Phantom Brave...

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

now I can't be the only one looking forward to Devil Survivor... haven't picked it up yet but will this week I think.

anything SMT is good in my book, and the reviews are backing this title up enough for me to feel confident saying it'll continue the trend.

now if only those fuckers would release the handheld versions of SMT and SMT II.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Already got Point Lookout. MvC2 and Batman are my only must buys, but I'm keeping an eye on Darksiders and perhaps BlazBlue. I kinda want to get the Metriod Prime Trilogy, but I own 1 and 3 already.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zap Brannigan
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Blaz blue(ps3) and mana khemia 2 for me.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Why would anyone get Blaz Blue with a shitty XBox 360 controller, unless you have an arcade joystick?

Also, Street Fighter 4 is coming out for PC on July 7th in the US. The release date was today (6/26) for EU.

BlazBlue, MvsC2 and KOFXII ( 8/28 ).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    I should also mention that for you iPhone owners, Mass Effect Galaxy is out today. I think it ties into the story of ME2, and it's only $2.99, but I'm not sure how much I like the idea of top down shooting.
    I heard it's one of the biggest PoS's on the iPhone lol

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Forgot about Conduit which I heard is pretty good

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Meian View Post
    Forgot about Conduit which I heard is pretty good
    Yes it is the single player is alright but the multiplayer makes up for it kind of like Cod4 sorta

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

This is the summer of 2D fighters, basically.

I have Blazblue and KoF both preordered and I'm snagging MvC2 on PSN as soon as it drops.

Other games I'm jonesing for this year (not just summer releases persay) are Dragon Age : Origins, Soul Calibur Broken Destiny, Arkham Asylum, Tekken 6, Demon's Souls (probably importing the Asian version next paycheck), Gran Turismo PSP and Uncharted 2.

All in all it's a good solid lump of gaming all the way thru this year.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    now I can't be the only one looking forward to Devil Survivor... haven't picked it up yet but will this week I think.

anything SMT is good in my book, and the reviews are backing this title up enough for me to feel confident saying it'll continue the trend.

now if only those fuckers would release the handheld versions of SMT and SMT II.

You know I'm there, I have a constant boner for Atlus titles so I tend to just not bring it up

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast