+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 284 FirstFirst ... 8 48 56 57 58 59 60 68 108 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Hardon Collider     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Wow @_@ I've never seen that before. How exactly does that work?
    Put the water in a microwave on high for a long time?

Old Merits
    BG Level

I'm not going to wade through this entire topic to see if you've discussed this yet or not, but I found this article (and one like it I read last year) to be very interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/13/sc...3lhc.html?_r=2

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

tl;dr version? Is this more doom and gloom bullshit written by someone repeating hearsay or is it actually informative and factual?

Old Merits
    BG Level

It's basically talking about how the LHC failed because it succeeded. Some physicists theorize that the discovery of the Higgs Boson is so against nature that when it's discovered it causes a ripple in time that damages the LHC. It's a weird theory and hard to explain fully, you'd have to read the article.

Here's an excerpt:
    Then it will be time to test one of the most bizarre and revolutionary theories in science. I’m not talking about extra dimensions of space-time, dark matter or even black holes that eat the Earth. No, I’m talking about the notion that the troubled collider is being sabotaged by its own future. A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Well I understand the Higgs and get my jollys off on particle physics I was just making sure I wasn't reading more doomsday propaganda started by M.A.L.H.C or some fringe paranoia group like that.

STRAIGHT BOSON

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

That article is a bit too close to saying nature actually being a sentient thing for my liking.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    tl;dr version?
    Edit: internet borked. See oldoldman's post below

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

It's worth reading, though I don't necessarily believe it. But if there's a chance that you'll ever hear of this again, it's good to read it.

They're saying that the creation of a higgs boson would create a ripple in time that goes backwards and stop itself from every being created. Future higgs bosons are breaking the LHC so that the LHC can never create a higgs boson.

The article also claims that the higgs boson created by the SuperConducting SuperCollider in Texas traveled back in time and stopped the SSC from ever being built in the first place. So apparently the Higgs boson isn't a particle, but a politician in washington.

Picture of the Higgs Boson

Spoiler: show
    http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content...robotsantb.jpg

"Nice try, but my head was built with paradox absorbing crumple zones."

They then go on to say that it isn't the Higgs boson that's causing this, but the universe itself (because the universe is totally sentient). The universe is going back in time to fix itself because the creation of the Higgs boson will destroy it. And instead of just hurling a meteor at the Earth and riding itself of it's destroyer once and for all like any universe with half a brain would do, it would rather blow up magnets and convince western politicians to use their money to invade middle eastern countries instead of science.
    Woozie always says it so much better.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

I just told a guy in the physics department about this article and he something that was relevant to the whole sentient universe thing.

He said "Haven't you ever wondered why the universe is really expanding?"

I answered with big bang and dark energy.

He said "No, the other galaxies found out that this one is infected with Humans and are trying to get the hell away".

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Rofl. gonna save this one.

Btw, your ninja edit destroyed your postsomehow, if you were going to add something that wasnt in oldoldman's quote.

Renegade Philosopher
    BG Level

The irony of trying to say that a Higgs boson stops itself from being created is that if it leaves any kind of effect that can be detected, then we still have evidence that a Higgs boson was created. If somehow the Higgs boson stops itself from being created and we can never tell it happened in the first place, then it's the same thing as saying the Higgs doesn't exist (more or less).

I'm waiting for someone to connect the Higgs boson to 2012. Hell it's probably already been done, I'm just too lazy to sift through all the stuff to find it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I just told a guy in the physics department about this article and he something that was relevant to the whole sentient universe thing.

He said "Haven't you ever wondered why the universe is really expanding?"

I answered with big bang and dark energy.

He said "No, the other galaxies found out that this one is infected with Humans and are trying to get the hell away".

ROFL nice.

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

I'm using that as an ice breaker when I transfer!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I plan to use that one on my first day of class.

29 in magical dog years
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jackson Junior
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    Rofl. gonna save this one.

Btw, your ninja edit destroyed your postsomehow, if you were going to add something that wasnt in oldoldman's quote.
    Twas a joke? Boson went back in time, destroyed woozie's post?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Neo and Max would be angry if señor higgs were to be found.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Neo and Max would be angry is señor higgs were to be found.
    But how entertaining this thread would become, yet again...

assburgers
    BG Level

I won't be pissed, I'll just wonder why I wound up with a working model of physics for the wrong Universe.

This one doesn't need a Higgs boson (as I said, literally it is a field that glues matter to spacetime in these models) to function, so it would be baffling to find one anyways.

Also: that supercooled water thing is awesome and terrifying, awesome because it's cool to watch, terrifying because of the possibility that the vacuum is in a metastable state which could be "knocked" into a more stable form... not sure you wanna think about the spacetime you're embedded in undergoing another phase transition while you're watching it... but it sounds scary to me.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Neo and Max would be angry if señor higgs were to be found.
    Does anyone believe we will find Higg boson anyway? The only reason their model works is because they used a lot of duct tape to patch every hole.

Also: that supercooled water thing is awesome and terrifying, awesome because it's cool to watch, terrifying because of the possibility that the vacuum is in a metastable state which could be "knocked" into a more stable form... not sure you wanna think about the spacetime you're embedded in undergoing another phase transition while you're watching it... but it sounds scary to me.
    Yeah, sudden destruction of the universe is on top of my "How I want to die" list. It's kinda scary, but awesome at the same time. I wonder if it's possible to make an argument against that demonstrate something like this is not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia View Post
    Does anyone believe we will find Higg bosom anyway? The only reason their model works is because they used a lot of duct tape to patch every hole.

I'm sure someone's already found that one.