BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    1.) Read Boring Physics Books
    2.) Publish Interesting Crib Notes
    3.) ???
    4.) Profit!
    lol I should take a picture if my bookcase at home, you'd fall asleep just looking at it

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    Particle/wave explanations, but not mass yet =/, but.. they are related and I have a few guesses.
    I'd like to hear the particle wave explanation.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Particle/wave explanations, but not mass yet =/, but.. they are related and I have a few guesses.
    I personally cant wait to see it, I remember you mentioning it last summer or shortly thereafter. Let me know because I am definitely interested in the model you are working on.

You're better than me, I don't even have the balls to begin.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I mean don't get it twisted, I got da balls. What I meant was time, yes definitely time.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

You all testicles, and no shaft! What happened to ya shaft, Robert?

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    lol I should take a picture if my bookcase at home, you'd fall asleep just looking at it
    I have 17 differential equation books lol.

Master of blackface Range Rover beer bottle throwing.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    (A neutrino is a byproduct of neuclear reactions. The sun is spitting out tons of them every second. By the time you finish reading this sentence, trillions of them will have flown right through your body. They don't interact electrically, magnetically, or through the strong nuclear force, so typically they can fly through solid matter without affecting it. A neutrino can fly through a few light years of solid lead before it actually collides with anything. Neutrinos are likely massless, so they can't be darkmatter).
    IIRC, neutrino's have been discovered to actually have mass, as they flavor oscillate, which requires mass. They are still trying to figure out the absolute neutrino mass scale though, but they do have mass.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Shojin View Post
    IIRC, neutrino's have been discovered to actually have mass, as they flavor oscillate, which requires mass. They are still trying to figure out the absolute neutrino mass scale though, but they do have mass.
    I was going to say, wouldn't particle collisions imply at least some insanely small mass...?

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by quannum View Post
    YouTube - Physics 10 - Lecture 22: Relativity I

this is the "physics for dummies" course at ucberkeley, there's very little math involved.

Muller's my homie, the whole series is interesting.
    Thanks for this, will be watching his all his other lectures. This guy is the kind of teacher I wish I had.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    I personally cant wait to see it, I remember you mentioning it last summer or shortly thereafter. Let me know because I am definitely interested in the model you are working on.

You're better than me, I don't even have the balls to begin.
    I just want to be able to say I knew the guy who discovered a TOE. Even if it was only through a video game and an internet forum.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shojin View Post
    I keep hearing conflicting things about whether or not neutrino's have mass, so I'm just going to stick to the idea that they don't until I personally see hardcore proof with my own eyes (like a peer reviewed journal article with a conclusive experiment). If this has already been produced, then I need to find it.

I keep hearing conflicting things about whether or not neutrino's have mass, so I'm just going to stick to the idea that they don't until I personally see hardcore proof with my own eyes (like a peer reviewed journal article with a conclusive experiment). If this has already been produced, then I need to find it.
    Ya, it is kind of odd to picture more than 50 trillion solar electron neutrinos passing through the human body every second and still having even a little mass associated. Then again, we really need to redefine mass Q.Q.

Not to mention they are measured to travel at or DAMN CLOSE to the speed of light.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I have 17 differential equation books lol.
    lol damn....

BG Level

Most of it is from the results of the Super-K in Japan, the huge neutrino observatory. But the results have been supported from other experiments and publications. There is said to be at least one mass eigenstate which is at least .004ev. But I'll admit I don't know much else about them, and would like to study more.

Particle physics/astronomy has fascinated me ever since I was a child, so I am hoping we get some answers from the LHC.

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

Ya, it is kind of odd to picture more than 50 trillion solar electron neutrinos passing through the human body every second and still having even a little mass associated. Then again, we really need to redefine mass Q.Q.

Not to mention they are measured to travel at or DAMN CLOSE to the speed of light.
    It's damn close. They beat light here from a supernova, granted they're emitted before the actual explosion.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoldman View Post
    It's damn close. They beat light here from a supernova, granted they're emitted before the actual explosion.
    I think the actual value tested for their speed was slightly greater than c, but the error on that value certainty made it most likely at or just below the speed of light.

I would venture to guess massless and traveling the speed of light, with mass like properties (wave/particle interactions). Even if they were rediculously small mass, the amount of momentum required to get them to 99.9999% c or closer would be enormous.

It just goes back to the same problem: We really have no understanding of what mass is.

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

I think the actual value tested for their speed was slightly greater than c, but the error on that value certainty made it most likely at or just below the speed of light.

I would venture to guess massless and traveling the speed of light, with mass like properties (wave/particle interactions). Even if they were rediculously small mass, the amount of momentum required to get them to 99.9999% c or closer would be enormous.

It just goes back to the same problem: We really have no understanding of what mass is.
    Whenever I try to explain to people at my work that we don't know what mass is I get looked at like I'm an idiot, I need a simpler way to explain it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Welcome to the club. People at work try to get me to explain Relativity and why Jesus is real vs the Physics and ideas of the Big bang and space. Don't bother. Ask Neo, hes been barking up that tree for years.

You're wasting your breath, I've learned that I can best equate it to teaching Trig to a Chimpanzee.

assburgers
    BG Level

Well then, hello Gentlemen.

Mizzle: my nizzle, thanks for the hizzeadlle upizzle, dizzawg!

Neo: wouldn't it be just as valid to say duration goes away? Keep in mind though, for considering the reference frame of a beam of light, we're now heretics.

At the speed of light, one should observe all points in time as being simultaneous. The difference then becomes the relation between spatial events at those points in time, and for points which are only separated by time, there would no longer be any spatial difference.

Perhaps if you expanded the distance as you are describing, while reducing the temporal portion of the interval from some value, it wouldn't explode any more?

Woozie: I wouldn't say I hate QM, I'm pretty sure I found a way to make QM fall out of General Relativity, after all. I'd say I think trying to build a Universe from the bottom up is overly difficult. The reason it is so difficult is because time is treated as if it stops being important at 0 mass, and there is thus only one way interactions can flow along it. Smolin and I have a nasty tendency of rambling into language we're trying to construct to explain the terms we're trying to explain... my first paper on Simply Relativity is HORRIBLE to read for that same reason.

Mass is interaction, but interaction between what?

Reduce everything you possibly can, model the absolutely simplest Universe you can, what can you not do away with before losing the sense of a Universe at all?

Directions! If you do not have a way to define a stage, you can't have actors at all!

QM doesn't work unless you say beforehand: "This is the stage, these are it's limits", and work from there.
    GR doesn't want you to be able to say: "This is the stage, these are it's limits", and not consider what the stage itself does, it is as important as the actors!

QFT and String Theory assume that the stage can be built from tiny little actors and inserted when that is understood.

LQC and Spinfoam models assume that you can build a stage from tiny little bits which are really only identifiable against themselves, and that you can then insert the QFT/Stringy stuff later.

What if the stage has a sense in which it can be defined against itself, one which would allow it to be deformed dynamically, but which would require no smaller components than the very directions we identify along it?

There is a very interesting body of work done by a fellow I met recently, Christoph Schiller. [0905.3905] Deducing the three gauge interactions from featureless strands is the first paper I saw of his, this site has his other papers.

Essentially the difference between his work and mine can be summed up in my focus on time, and his focus on the indistinguishable nature of the strands.

I'd love some of you guys to look over his stuff, I've talked to him a bit, still waiting for his latest paper on the origin of particle properties.

If you take what he has, and allow what seems to be a background dependence to emerge in the definition of the strands from featureless except for crossings, to (x,y,z) threads but unobserved except the crossings and relational interactions, you arrive at what I'm working on.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

My pleasure homey.

Awesome, I'd love to look over those papers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 284 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast