BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ferien Terzo
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I love all of you.

assburgers
    BG Level

His stuff is VERY interesting, I've been stressing over whether or not I'd be able to have the proper relationships emerge between forces and interactions due to a purely topological structure.

He has shown that you can in fact do that in a BEAUTIFULLY formed manner, far prettier than I was expecting at first.

I've been starting from basics, using principles from set theory as I attempt to construct a primary framework upon which to define interactions relationally.

As below:

He has come out of left field with the way to define the interactions I was looking for and a very interesting point that by ignoring the portions of the (strands/threads) aside from the crossings you can satisfy both camps regarding the background independence and SM fitting.

Again though that is where my approach to time comes in, my thread mesh would be the typically verboten defined background, except that I am working in a definition of TIME which emerges from the relationship between the threads and themselves/their neighbors. So while the sense of directionality remains defined in a sense, it is only frozen out at the planck scale, and at that point a non-commuting interaction takes over which provides the observed sense of time having an arrow.

Technically time should be utterly reversible, QM and QFT model it as though it is, but this doesn't fit with our observations, and is thus known as "the problem of time".

Quote Originally Posted by Max™ View Post
    Perhaps if you expanded the distance as you are describing, while reducing the temporal portion of the interval from some value, it wouldn't explode any more?
    The temporal portion is directly related to the interval portion. My model is worthless if it doesnt come back to a clear representation of the current space/time dynamics.

What you're asking is like "just let the mass go to infinity as the gravitational pull goes to 0", which is contradictory to the relationship itself.

What I need to do is expand my 2D model to 3D, without having to do it in 2 phases.. I have a few areas I am leaning too, and have had a few breakthroughs recently, but Im not quite sure if Im really close or very far away from the answer I am looking for Q.Q.

assburgers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    The temporal portion is directly related to the interval portion. My model is worthless if it doesnt come back to a clear representation of the current space/time dynamics.

What you're asking is like "just let the mass go to infinity as the gravitational pull goes to 0", which is contradictory to the relationship itself.

What I need to do is expand my 2D model to 3D, without having to do it in 2 phases.. I have a few areas I am leaning too, and have had a few breakthroughs recently, but Im not quite sure if Im really close or very far away from the answer I am looking for Q.Q.
    I realized that I said that incorrectly actually.

You're describing the distance portion of the interval going to 0 at c here:

Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra
    I say distance goes to 0 as in relative distance in your (the c traveler) frame of reverance. That is v = d/t, d = vt, d = c*0 (0 time once at c), thus you have 0 distance. Not to mention once time slows down, you dont get any more time to accelerate. To you (the guy riding the photon), it is as if you instantly hit your destination.
    So the relationships between points normally separated by some t interval from what that photon labels as Now would go away. Now = t, so any duration would be 0, simultaneous with every other event.

Now being definable as a timeslice, which that given observer claims contains simultaneous events. Relativity is all about the relationship between different observers and the angle at which their Now is oriented. Time dilation is nothing but looking at a sequence of events from a more narrow angle.

If I'm reading your logic correctly, it told you that a photon should have the broadest possible angle, it should observe all events as simultaneous, shouldn't it?

Only in one vector direction. Which is the problem.

So, about these neutrinos... what happens when one actually DOES crash into a particle, as rare as it is? Big fireball? A meager photon released? What? :s

assburgers
    BG Level

Ah! Now I see your problem clearly.

Have you ever considered uh... how to phrase this properly...

I once attempted to explain it to a friend as if time for a photon became something which was more akin to what we would label a spatial direction.

I'll think about how to say this better, but I've long thought about the same thing.

assburgers
    BG Level

Regarding Neutrinos: Neutrino's slightly jostle things if they impact them.

I thought of a model once to explain beta decay in the knot framework I've been working on.

Wrap a rubber band around the knuckles of one of your hands, then slide your other hand inside it, so the band stays taught on your knuckles.

Hold your hands out in front of you like you were praying, with the palm side of your fingers touching, but your palms apart at an angle.

Now bring your fingers apart just enough to roll your fingertips past each other and fold your fingers inwards. Continue until your knuckles are touching.

What happened to the rubber band?

It should have popped off with a certain speed, yes?

The rubber band is an electron, the palmsides/fingers out position is a neutron, the knuckles together/fingers inwards is a proton.

When you altered the arrangement of your hands enough, there is no stable state the electron can be in (let's assume for simplicity that fingers outwards has neutral charge from the addition of the rubber bands negative charge, and fingers inwards is now positively charged), so it is ejected.

Again, that is not literally what happens, just a visualization, there aren't electrons tied around neutrons.

When the band popped off, did you hear a sound?

That sound was the neutrino produced in that process.

Consider hitting something with your hands, or a rubber band, now consider yelling at it.

That's how feeble neutrino interactions are.

I hate simplistic descriptions of quantum mechanics Q.Q. I just want to tell people "No, I cant explain it to you with your current understanding of the subject. Read these books, work out these methods, then we can talk about it.".

But basically Max, what I am saying is photons arent really particles at all, they are expansions in space time, interactions between 2 states that are extended relatively due to something.. But only vectorally >.>

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Thanks guys. Even just the brief overviews of some newer(and older) concepts has given my nerd mode a bit of a jump start. Not that it necessarily needed one due to talking physics on an online forum for a mmorpg. Just needed some redirection.

Something i would recommend to anyone is a book by Frank J Tipler, The Physics of Immortality. I have read it probably 20 times since i was 15 and understand and draw more from it each time. It is very much on the physics/philosophy tip. A good read for anyone imo, especially us nerds, who will definitely enjoy him explaining why it is impossible to jump to the moon. Geek humor is awesome.

Woozie. You mentioned a nasa mission in 2016 to use some device that will answer some questions on dark matter and the debate with GR. What exactly do they have planned? I read some about a gravitational wave detector(i might be making this word up) that will be used to detect gravitational waves emitted by colliding super massive black holes.

Holy hell i started this like 3 hours ago.... oh well *Mash button*

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by bigrougabagel View Post
    Woozie. You mentioned a nasa mission in 2016 to use some device that will answer some questions on dark matter and the debate with GR. What exactly do they have planned? I read some about a gravitational wave detector(i might be making this word up) that will be used to detect gravitational waves emitted by colliding super massive black holes.
    I'm not 100% sure how it works. I have really bad ADD and I zoned out for most of the presentation. Some of the details might still be on the APS site, but I doubt there will much.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I'm not 100% sure how it works. I have really bad ADD and I zoned out for most of the presentation. Some of the details might still be on the APS site, but I doubt there will much.
    Are you talking about the Mars 2016 Astrobiology Field Laboratory tentatively set to launch the summer of that year? I know they were hoping to study Dark matter and a few other things on the way to the Red Planet, this isn't just a rover mission. 2016 is on some lets tangibly touch this bitch and get out potential site survey on.

Again, this all tentatively set and still in the basic of basic planning phases.

assburgers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    I hate simplistic descriptions of quantum mechanics Q.Q. I just want to tell people "No, I cant explain it to you with your current understanding of the subject. Read these books, work out these methods, then we can talk about it.".

But basically Max, what I am saying is photons arent really particles at all, they are expansions in space time, interactions between 2 states that are extended relatively due to something.. But only vectorally >.>
    I'm a relativist at heart, I love figuring out phenomenological explanations.

Photons aren't particles, though I'd call them helical ripples in spacetime, which is the same as your description of vectored expansions.

Also: working from the rubber band crap I posted up there, a layman could make some sense of a Feynman Diagram such as the one representing it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Decay.svg.png

The udd state is fingers pointing away.

The w- state is best represented as the point when your fingertips roll past each other, the most stressed part of the interaction, and that is roughly when the rubber band pops off, with the anti-neutrino "pop".

The udu state is fingers inwards, knuckles together.

Naturally it isn't exact, but for someone who is trying to reduce these theories to topological interactions between single dimensional threads, it's helpful to consider what is actually going on in those diagrams.

Hell, for what I was talking about earlier with the extended t for a photon, imagine a feynman diagram where the Time arrow shrunk perhaps?

Or one where the photon lines are extended in the t direction, and "dragged" across the space axis.

As you increase mass, you lean the lines over towards the space axis.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

For the people reading this and have no clue what the fuck is going on, let me post some pretty pictures for you to drool over.

This is one of the Hubble telescope moments before it is to be tethered to the Shuttle Atlantis for repairs back in May....

Here is one of the Hubble Telescope transiting across the Sun...

Here is one of the Shuttle Atlantis transiting across the Sun...

These were shot via a Takahashi refractory telescope. Neat huh? Figured I'd give you all some nerd eye candy. It's shit like that that makes me love Science and everything space. It's not magic. I have shit tons of those at home if anyone is interested.

MEGA HUEG but it really puts the ginormous size of our Sun in perspective. Imagine if these pictures weren't taken from millions of miles away...

With that done, off to home I go finally! Work sucks....

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    Are you talking about the Mars 2016 Astrobiology Field Laboratory tentatively set to launch the summer of that year? I know they were hoping to study Dark matter and a few other things on the way to the Red Planet, this isn't just a rover mission. 2016 is on some lets tangibly touch this bitch and get out potential site survey on.

Again, this all tentatively set and still in the basic of basic planning phases.
    I'm not sure if it's the same thing and I'm not even sure about the 2016 date tbh. I'll try to look it up.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

For the last one, look in the bottom left lol. I forgot how tiny and insignificant our little toys here on earth were.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the same thing and I'm not even sure about the 2016 date tbh. I'll try to look it up.
    Ok lol. I was watching a show about it a few weeks ago and was blown away. That 2016 date resonates endlessly in my head now.

assburgers
    BG Level

A shot of a flare in beautiful detail.

A representation of the current sheets induced by the suns magnetic field rotating through the solar wind.

Solar system to scale.

Solar system distances for comparison, the above picture is not accurate on these.

Voyager 1 and 2 are the furthest manmade objects from the Sun.

We made objects and sent them into Space, and they are now entering the region where the Sun no longer holds total sway over it's neighborhood.

As the Sun trundles around through the Milky Way, it pushes through the interstellar medium with it's magnetic field and solar winds.

This is the Milky Way, not in Spoilers because it's not worth risking people not seeing it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...-annotated.jpg

This is our views of it put into a single image.

This is beyond epic, and truly gives a glimpse of the immensity of the object which we are embedded in.

Link to the full 4000 pixel version of the picture above.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Oh wow, that Oort cloud one is nice. Funny when you look at that and realize how far our Voyager probes have gone respectively. It really has a way of putting the size of our little nook into context.

assburgers
    BG Level

Edited a couple things since you posted that.

One thing to remember when looking at pictures like this:

If we were to translate that image to show where we are in this image:

Imagine you're standing on the spot marked "Sun", with your head pointing out of the picture, and your gaze is directed upwards towards the central mass.

Hopefully the depth of the view will make sense then.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 284 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 56 ... LastLast