Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I can't take this shit first air is a metal and now jello jiggles without you touching it fucking science man

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

"Wouldn't it be super weird if you jiggled the Jell-O and found that somehow it responded at a different period?" said Yao.

"But that is the essence of the time crystal. You have some periodic driver that has a period 'T', but the system somehow synchronises so that you observe the system oscillating with a period that is larger than 'T'."
    Mind blown

Burninate all the things.
    BG Level

Too lazy to VPN onto university network to get past the APS paywall on the actual paper. May give it a read on Monday. The SA article seemed to be all over the place.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm going to hold off on official comment until I read the papers but I need to emphasize now:

If you are reading an article that purports to explain this in a way that makes sense via metaphors that don't involve hard physics in any way, they are wrong.

That is all.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

I saw a Facebook comment on the crystals which was more detailed and informative than the articles lol.

Strange question : did a star go Nova tonight? There's a REALLY bright star/planet roughly 2-3 inches aboveish the moon atm. Over here, you CAN count the stars in the sky, usually on one hand, so a star thing at least as bright as the moon itself stood out like a neon sign.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level

Perhaps I'm wrong in my thinking but I would have to say no nothing happened tonight as it would take time for the light to travel here?

yes, you are wrong in thinking that way... though by my wording i could see how youd get confused. by a star going nova tonight i meant to say a star going nova however many years ago and the light from said explosion reaching us tonight.

that said, i'm not sure if it's just the planet venus or not... i mean it might be but it looks like someone took the full moon and shrunk it down to a dot... its small but really bright. its a bit bigger than the other stars too. its actually brighter than the crescent moon atm.

a coworker looked at it when i showed them and she thought it looked too bright for a planet as well.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Spoiler alert: it's probably Venus

If it was a supernova visible to the naked idea it would be getting more press coverage than Trump.

nah, only if it was a story about how some team of scientists predicted a supernova happening in the next 20 years with a slight chance of wiping humanity out.

and according to one site it appears to probably be mars. still seems too bright though, and it doesnt look very red

edit:: actually it might be...uranus? if im looking at this planets thing on bing right. but that doesnt sound right, because even though the position is about right, and the distance... uranus is rather far away and fairly dim, isnt it? this thing looks really bright, and both mars and venus seem to be very close to the moon atm. in fact, venus seems to be positioned behind the moon, with mars right above.

::edit 2:: yeah, the positions for venus and mars are both very wrong for this, according to space.coms january night sky thing. the closest is uranus and thats hard to see even without light pollution. this things full moon bright in a place with max light pollution. i am confused \o.o/

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Considering I'm not you and have no idea what you're looking at I can tell you that it is definitely maybe one of those things.

But yeah in like 2000 years of recorded history there have been like 6 or 7 supernovae visible to the naked eye.

They actually happen less often than events which nearly wiped out all of humanity. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...aches_to_Earth

went to try and get a picture of it so you could see, but the moon has already set, and the star thing is either below the horizon now or too close for me to see through the tree line. guess ill have to try tommorrow after work.

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

It's Venus, which is the third brightest object in the sky following the Sun and Moon. Mars becomes visible too, but it's Venus.

Atheist Douchebag.
    Pony Slayer of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zetanio Breaux
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Odin

yeah, thats what i figured after tracking it a few nights weird though, the planet looks as bright as a planes headlights approaching for a landing, only it doesn't move. ive honestly never seen it nearly this bright before in all my years of stargazing, not even when it was lined up with the other planets a while ago. the sheer brightness of it and the fact it looks blueish-white like an LED headlight is confusing the heck out of me.

Fuck It, I'm Goin Deep Fan Club President
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

It's the comet coming right at us that is going to kill us all that sat won't save us from

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meliadoul Tinjeru
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

It'll just burn up in the atmosphere like in the Simpsons obviously.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...r-solar-system

NASA will hold a news conference at 1 p.m. EST Wednesday, Feb. 22, to present new findings on planets that orbit stars other than our sun, known as exoplanets. The event will air live on NASA Television and the agency's website.

Details of these findings are embargoed by the journal Nature until 1 p.m.

Limited seating is available in the NASA TV studio for media who would like to attend in person at the agency’s Headquarters at 300 E Street SW in Washington. Media unable to attend in person may ask questions by telephone. To attend in person or participate by phone, media must send an email with their name, affiliation and telephone number to Dwayne Brown at [email protected] by noon Feb. 22.

Media and the public also may ask questions during the briefing on Twitter using the hashtag #askNASA.

The briefing participants are:

· Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of the Science Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters in Washington

· Michael Gillon, astronomer at the University of Liege in Belgium

· Sean Carey, manager of NASA's Spitzer Science Center at Caltech/IPAC, Pasadena, California

· Nikole Lewis, astronomer at the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore

· Sara Seager, professor of planetary science and physics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge

A Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) about exoplanets will be held following the briefing at 3 p.m. with scientists available to answer questions in English and Spanish.
    Was reading elsewhere that they found a large blue planet. Hoping it's big announcement.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Lol still getting excited for pre-announced NASA press conferences.

My bet is proxcen stuff and "look at how many exoplanets we have discovered!"

I work a few doors down from the most prestigious exoplanet fellow in the country and I haven't heard anything good. Though to be fair, I haven't gone out of my way to ask her anything.