Thread: Large Hardon Collider     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Large Hardon Collider

I realized that this isn;t even talked about anymore, and I went to the wiki page to try to find out more...

CERN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The initial particle beams were injected into the LHC August 2008.[9] The first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC was at 8:28 GMT on 10 September 2008,[10] but the system went wrong, due to a faulty magnet connection, and it was stopped for repairs on 19 September 2008. After repairs the magnet must be recooled, and with the previously scheduled winter shutoff (due to power consumption) no results are expected before July 2009.

So, it's July 2009. Is there still nothing new happening besides fixing the broken super-magnet?

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yes still undergoing repairs, they are actually taking the time to check the rest of it for malfunctions as well. It's still alive and well thankfully!

Dr. Kaku was talking talking about it on SciQ recently when someone asked about it. That's my personal Mecca, bitches better recognize.

User was infracted for this post.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

In the meantime, I'm developing a real BFG. Just in case this Large Hadron Collider works, opens a portal and demons come pouring into our universe.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Death by black hole, I welcome it. Gettin' mah deGrasse on dawg.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    Death by black hole, I welcome it. Gettin' mah deGrasse on dawg.
    Oh, You

http://assets.aarp.org/www.aarp.org_...D_TYSON_01.jpg

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Yeah that's my boy! Dude you should call his office at the Hayden planetarium and talk to him or get his voice mail, its funny because he actually answers!

I stuttered when I called him about a month ago lol, I emailed him on facebook to get a gift for my daughters birthday in August and he told me to call the Planetarium and ask for him if he didn't pick up. In typical tool fashion I immediately said "Wow, you sound just like you do on tv" lol.

First time ever being star struck. lolpun.

Anyway, I ended up getting a signed poster from him to my daughter, a Hayden Planetarium shirt autographed and some other neat schwag all at no cost. Even got my copy of Origins and Death by black hole signed by him as well.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Astrophysicist rock star!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Any idea what kind of experiments they have lined up? Or is it just the standard, "lets make a black hole and destroy the earff"? Last thing i read, they still had plans to find the higgs particle.

Yeah that guy is the shit. I rarely see scientists who are as visibly into what they do as he is. He talks with such enthusiasm it would make someone who knows nothing or gives less than two shits about astronomy be interested.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by bigrougabagel View Post
    Any idea what kind of experiments they have lined up? Or is it just the standard, "lets make a black hole and destroy the earff"? Last thing i read, they still had plans to find the higgs particle.
    Yes, the God particle is where its at in my book. Although they have a multitude of things lined up such as replicating the super hot conditions that were present only mere seconds after the big bang, they also want to rediscover and observe the Standard model at work and see what new and unknown things should be noted and added, particular regarding top quarks and behaviors of leptons.

Besides the search for the Higgs they are hoping to also observe how neutral, stable particles behave and are created in high energy collisions in hopes of defining and getting a better understanding of Dark matter. This goes hand in hand with understanding the characteristics, idiosyncrasies and mechanics of black holes up close and personal. You can't possibly put a price tag on something like that, I'd kill to be at CERN when this happens.

Those are just a few things that the LHC has to offer us. There literally is an entire smorgasbord of theories and ideas we want to test and observe. That's the great thing about science, when in doubt you build shit to figure it out! Man I am getting all frothy just thinking about it lol. I shit you not when I say I seriously love this machine and am excited about all the things we will find in our lifetime, keep an open mind because everything we perceivably "know" will change and only grow tenfold by time we expire.

I'm sure Woozie, Max, Neo, Zoob and a few others will contribute more since I know they all have a great interest in the LHC and particle physics as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andarvi View Post
    Yeah that guy is the shit. I rarely see scientists who are as visibly into what they do as he is. He talks with such enthusiasm it would make someone who knows nothing or gives less than two shits about astronomy be interested.
    Exactly, he truly loves his work. I've been a fan of his for a long time and is the reason I wanted to be an Astrophysiscist. Sadly they had met their negro scientist quota at the time so I was pretty much SOL. It's all good, cause Ill begin classes for it this fall. YAYYYY

Dreams rediscovered!

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Black astrophysicists are new white rappers. Lol

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

I've got stacks of papers. Research papers. Respect.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    Black astrophysicists are new white rappers. Lol
    HAHA

didn't some kid kill themselves a day or two before the first test or something?

that must suck

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

SNOLAB is another place to watch for dark matter research. It is also the world deepest lab at ~2km (1.25 miles) below the earth's surface.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Particle physics is something i never got to in college, so i am just picking up what i can where i can. But a lot of this new potential learning with the lhc blows the mind. Learning why matter has mass... it sounds so simple because we are so used to it just being there, but FUCK*mindexplode* thinking about how and why its actually there.

With dark matter; Have they actually theorized what it is other than mystery "stuff" that makes gravity models of the observable universe work nice and pretty? Forgive the noob questions, I feel like im asking MJ (non molester one) how to dribble a basketball.

My lunch break is ending shortly, but i am lookin forward to getting home and finding pages of drool worthy physics when i check back. Thanks for answering my questions miz.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    didn't some kid kill themselves a day or two before the first test or something?

that must suck
    Yes lol, some bitch in India drank pesticide because the world was going to be sucked into the netherworld. She sought refuge with her savior before the atrocities of man and technology costs her her life.

Sup trick?

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Yeah I am really excited to see some new stuff come out of the LHC. I don't even begin to pretend that I have nearly as much knowledge as Miz, Woozie, Max or the others on this board that are physicists. I am but a mere artist, I just have a personal strong interest in stuff like this.

My particular interest is in the exploration of dark matter and what it is, how it works and why the ratio of dark matter to regular matter in the universe is so off. I believe dark matter not only is one of the keys to understanding the universe and how it came into existence but also understanding dark matter will lead to many advancements in technology in our every day lives.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by bigrougabagel View Post
    Particle physics is something i never got to in college, so i am just picking up what i can where i can. But a lot of this new potential learning with the lhc blows the mind. Learning why matter has mass... it sounds so simple because we are so used to it just being there, but FUCK*mindexplode* thinking about how and why its actually there.

With dark matter; Have they actually theorized what it is other than mystery "stuff" that makes gravity models of the observable universe work nice and pretty? Forgive the noob questions, I feel like im asking MJ (non molester one) how to dribble a basketball.

My lunch break is ending shortly, but i am lookin forward to getting home and finding pages of drool worthy physics when i check back. Thanks for answering my questions miz.

NP man, I actually enjoy this stuff. It actually takes up a majority of my day both at work and at home in my spare time. :D

To answer your question, dark matter is something that cannot be seen by Astronomers with standard run of the mill telescopes. One of the main problems with it is that that it doesn't emit or reflect enough light to be detected, so it's not bright like a "normal" star would be. Atoms, molecules and subatomic particles are dark matter. Scientists can only estimate where it is based on gravitational effects on what they can see. (i.e. Planets, Nebulae, Pulsars etc...)

Although we can't see dark matter, we can detect it by its effects on normal matter through gravity (rotation, gravitational-lensing) and by the X-rays emitted by hot, dark matter. Much like how you don't have to physically see someone behind your door, the knocking sound tells you that there is someone there. With the LHC we are hoping to open that proverbial door and see what the person behind it looks like.

But there are as many theories on Dark matter as there are scientists, here is a paraphrase from Scientific America that sums up a majority of the thought on it.

"For years, many physicists have accepted that dark matter is composed of weakly interacting massive particles (WIMPs). The fact that WIMPs can naturally explain the amount of dark matter in the universe – left over from the Big Bang – has been described as the “WIMP miracle.” "

You can read the entire article here: What if dark matter particles aren't WIMPs?

Like I said, Max, Woozie, Zoob and company will be here soon enough, keep this thread bookmarked. It's sure to get more in depth and interesting.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Speak of the devil... Sup Zoob!