Page 8 of 284 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Hardon Collider     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

I'm a Cosmetology virgin man, you can play just the tip... I'm not ready for any of the rough stuff yet so bear with me.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Cosmetology? You on some gay shit. Braidin' niggas hair in jail and shit. I cant get down with that.

Now Cosmology, we can talk. Step yo IQ game up dawg, we negroids gots to get ours.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patricia Lanvaldear
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Damn, I was hoping you didn't catch that so soon... I was going to point back to it in a few posts.
    You ruined my game.

I'm out.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

/salt

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Max™ View Post
    Interaction interaction interaction, that's an interesting word, included activities, inner related acts, interior actions, interactions...

Where was I, oh yeah, Mass.

How rude of this Higgs fellow to just slop about and spill his drink all over everyone, getting them all sticky and gunked up, yet when it comes time to have him clean up after himself, he's nowhere to be found. How rude indeed. Oh, sure, everyone has heard of him, they can see this sticky gunk all over the place holding everything down too... right?

Wait, we can't see that either? It's just a consequence of this Higgs fellow? Who invited him?

Could you find some way to make things bend the directions they move within, without all this slop and mess?

Perhaps, I know Dirac was fond of using belts for his demonstrations... and he was a very smart guy, I wonder if I can steal a bit of that smartness for a moment.

Picture a belt laying on your desk, the side you wrap against you when you wear it is facing upwards, so if it's a good leather belt, it naturally wants to bend up that way.

Let's use a little bit of crappy ascii while we are at it, referencing Dirac is not nearly nerdy enough.

_____________________.. <- that's a buckle, bear with me.

What if you put a twist into the belt at one end, so you were left with a loop of standing belt coiled there.

_________________O_.. <- that's a belt with a loop in it.

Now, the part of the belt where it rises up into the loop, and the part where it returns to your desk are offset by the width of the belt of course, and the overall belt is distorted by this affair. In case you're confused, the inside of that O would be the lighter brown inner part, and the top side would be the darker black part which is mostly laying on the desk.

Assuming this belt behaves like the one I have upstairs, you can make that O do an interesting trick.

Ok, it isn't really that interesting, but it's still worth doing.

You can make it roll without moving the rest of the belt except the portion directly near it.

Nudge the loop from the buckle side and it should propagate down the length some distance before stopping.

________________O__..
    _______________O___..
    ______________O____..
    _____________O_____..

Etc, etc.

What the hell is my point?

Belts should always be black and leather...

Wait, no that wasn't it at all!

Oh yeah, directions... if some cosmic asshole were to twist up one of these things we're still not sure aren't nothings, but we're pretty sure are spatial in nature, and tie a loop or a knot in it, that structure should be able to propagate along in various interesting ways.

The portion of the direction looped up by this cosmic numbskull with his stupid belt shenanigans would no longer be in the orientation which the simplest arrangement of the other directions would suggest, so you now get an affair where points along the directions towards this loop are curved inwards, don't you.

The belt got shorter huh...

Yet that Higgs fellow, nor his ex-wife the Luminiferous Aether are nowhere to be seen.

Just us directions here, Massa Geek Sir!

Just us directions...

Very well done. I like nerdy word play and I have to say I am quite impressed that you stumbled not once. Woozie did a good on regards Schrödinger and his pussy a few months ago that was awesome.

"Just us directions here, Massa Geek Sir!"

lol I should sig that.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

You know whats funny about this whole thread?

We can't figure out how to beat AV.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by bigrougabagel View Post
    You know whats funny about this whole thread?

We can't figure out how to beat AV.
    lol I know. God's will is the only viable answer.

assburgers
    BG Level

Cosmetology is in the next class.

This is fashion and the proper way to coordinate belts with your shoes and tie.

WAITTAMINNIT, DAMN NEGROS WITH YOUR SILLY GOOFIN AROUND!

Incidentally, if you did keep up with that, bravo, this is for you:

If you noted the complete lack of time in my description then you also get this:

Sorry about the bite, I got hungry while I was disgorging that mass of dweebery from my brain.

So yeah, time... the direction which you bend a direction can not simply be another spatial direction, I won't say why (because you haven't been bad enough to deserve such punishment), it just doesn't work like that.

That direction has to be temporal, time is the direction space moves through.

Ok, so what the fuck do these coiled belts and time have to do with black people?

Spoiler: show
    If you're thinking what I know you're thinking, you're racist and should be ashamed... but seriously, high five.

Forget the people, and the belts, that was just a demonstration to give you an image to work with.

Think about that word I used before, grain... fine grain, grainy structure... quantum effects sound rather like that huh... anyway... what would a grain of a direction be?

What is the smallest portion of a direction which you could identify?

How would you identify them?

Ok, this kinda makes my head hurt sometimes, suffice to say.

I like to take a tip from Loop Quantum Gravity (HOLY SHIT LOOPS, NOT LIKE BELTS THOUGH) and consider the fine structure as being simply orientable structures with a single innate characteristic. Distance, yep, just 1 dimensional, no up or left or anything else, just the one degree of freedom.

Hell of a sense of freedom we physicists have eh?

If you also wanted to make a joke about Miz and whatnot, you're a very bad person.

Either way, the important thing about these silly little things, they call them spin something or others, I call them threads, is that they don't like to cross themselves (so they're not catholic), and they are at a minimum of a Planck Length apart from each other. (1.61625281 x 10 ^-35 meters)

0.0000000000000000000000000000000000016165281 Meters... hold your fingers up really close together.... no, closer than that... little closer... eh, nevermind. It's the shortest distance you can obtain from the constants c (the speed of light), h (Planck's Constant), and G (The Gravitational Constant).

I'm not sure why Planck had such a hardon for tiny things, but he was really good at thinking about them, so clearly he wasn't black.

If you zoom way out from this grid-mesh structure of thread-directions you're left staring at a picture of some dumbass like you or me as we pick our nose and try to figure out why we don't feel some sort of gaps between the directions as we move around through them... the gaps are smaller than anything we are made of by a damn sight, and so you get an effect like running your hand across a smooth silk sheet, or a fine bitches ass.

Even though you know it's composed of little woven threads, or billions of cells stuck together, you can't discern anything but utter smoothness.

assburgers
    BG Level

Also: glad that was enjoyable, I truly enjoyed writing it.

I'm not sure what level of geek you have to be to consider writing this shit fun, but I'm it.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

HAHA aweesome. I totally clicked the Belt and the Freedom links, but I don't feel bad at all.

Bravo good sir, bravoooooo.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Speaking of which, Charismatic openly measures his manhood via the Planck scale. Such a laughable tragedy really.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

seriously tho, I find all of this information fascinating. I know you really have to have a diverse knowledge of several fields of science to be able to understand any one thing. Wish i could find that t-shirt... something like

Things I learned in college:
    Anatomy is really biology
    Biology is really chemistry
    Chemistry is really physics
    Physics is really math
    Math is really hard

something of some such. Tipler said something to the effect of "The extent of human knowledge can be judged by the number of branches of study that fall under the umbrella of physics." i am totally paraphrasing... totally. As we understand more and more, we can begin to break down many aspects of our world into pure physical models. He even talked about theology as a branch of physics, which gets into some pretty odd things that make you think about origins and definitions of many things that we take for granted.

Aside from the philosophical concepts inherent with physics, the more interesting things to me are the physics in extreme conditions, black holes, quasars, QM. Pretty much the point where newton starts to fall apart. Is there any kind of online literature that you guys could recommend on black holes and the math behind them? I understand the general simplifications behind a black hole, but without the math, it feels kind of like a hollow understanding... like being able to drive a car but not knowing how to put gas in it. /endramble

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ahhh the inevitable "SRE" or Schwarzschild Radius Equation question is what I think you are referring to.

There is definitely no easy way to explain that lol, atleast from my perspective. Ill know Max and Neo have the wording to attempt to explain it. I tried once and confused the person so much they never bother asking me about space again.

Edit: Found a link; http://www.gothosenterprises.com/bla...ld_metric.html Is that what you were looking for or something more specific?

assburgers
    BG Level

Physics Help and Math Help - Physics Forums

Especially stuff by: Gravitational Time Dilation - Confused - Page 3 JesseM off that page.

JesseM is great with the math, searching for various posts by him can help one grasp portions of the mathematics of black holes.

There's always the simple answer as well: Black hole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's where I'd start so you can see how far your knowledge actually goes, and when you want to go further down the rabbit hole, all of the links at the bottom are a wonderful place to hop around and sift for fascinatingly geeky knowledge.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

i enjoy being confused... makes it that much more rewarding when i finally get it. Nothing beats that feeling of your brain reaching around and biting the back of your head as you try and wrap your mind around some new intangible concept; aside from the new found understanding.

assburgers
    BG Level

Thinking does indeed rock.

If I'm actually on to something, and I actually do poop out a theory which literally describes everything, and I somehow get a Nobel for it in 2023. The first thing I'm doing is thanking my mommy.

She taught me how to learn, and how to think. She told me there is no such thing as a bad question... except perhaps "Is this a bad question?" which she hit me for, but I love her nonetheless.

Thanks Mom, you rock.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

http://www.galaxyzoo.org/ which is where I am when not here on BG 90% of the time has excellent beginner and extremely advanced forums to help you with everything space wise. I have been a part of this site and community for 2 years now, I've been here since it's initial launch.

You even get to help us classify Galaxies, Pulsars and dwarfs we find. This is time consuming mainly because there are so many galaxies yet to be cataloged for science research that's its not funny. To put what we do into perspective look at the this picture from Hubble where there was seemingly NOTHING....

Phenomenal isn't it? Again, this isn't magic. Now this is just from a random "empty" bit of space where nothing observable resided "perceivably". Try to count the number of Galaxies in that photo. Notice I said Galaxies, not "stars", for reference go back a page to Max's reference of the Milky way and how tiny we are in one of those spiral arms.

Now for a moment, remember there are countless numbers of those super massive disks out there each containing millions of other Suns and planets like what we see here in our spec of a solar system. Science is a beautiful thing.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Ive seen that pic before, or something similar. It is insane to think how far away and how old the light from those galaxies is. Another question for you guys while i continue to try and algebra my way thru that first link miz posted on shwarzeneggersbaby equation. When we look deep into space we are looking into the past one could say. If we see an object that is 10billion LY away, then we are seeing it as it was 10 billion years ago. Considering that the age of our universe is tacked somewhere around 13.7 billion years old, would it be feasible to look far enough to see the big bang happen?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

i enjoy being confused... makes it that much more rewarding when i finally get it. Nothing beats that feeling of your brain reaching around and biting the back of your head as you try and wrap your mind around some new intangible concept; aside from the new found understanding.
    Exactly, thats the beauty of learning. Each of us is confused by lots of things, ask Neo how long he has been working on his model, ask Max the same thing. Woozie and I fall into that category as well, so does everyone on the planet. The rewarding part is finding where you erred at and going back and finally figuring it out.

None of us are immune. It's refreshing to see people not intimidated and hungry for more though. I mean this is home, this is where we live it doesn't hurt to step out of the box and try to find answers to your own personal questions. No one should be punished for having questions and yearning for answers to those questions, I think that is the message Neo tried to convey to people who steadfastly throw superstition in the fact of people actually working towards an answer.

Not getting off in a rant or anything but Archie and some of you guys I don't recognize its refreshing seeing you guys here and made this thread what it is. Usually its just Max, Woozie, Kaylia, Neo and I debating and having a circle jerk. I personally love sharing what I know and love watching people getting answers to questions they have or have had for a long time.

Just call me Negrometheus, just minus the Vultures and liver part.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ive seen that pic before, or something similar. It is insane to think how far away and how old the light from those galaxies is. Another question for you guys while i continue to try and algebra my way thru that first link miz posted on shwarzeneggersbaby equation. When we look deep into space we are looking into the past one could say. If we see an object that is 10billion LY away, then we are seeing it as it was 10 billion years ago. Considering that the age of our universe is tacked somewhere around 13.7 billion years old, would it be feasible to look far enough to see the big bang happen?
    No, because all you would see really would the light emitted from such an explosion. To actually see a baby picture of the Big bang and its after effects you have to reference and delve into the world of WMAP imaging and CMB. When we pieced this thing together we opened the flood gates as far as the Big bang goes.

You will notice in these pictures the non-uniformity of the cosmos.

This one is important because it shows you a visible time line of what we know thanks to our study of CMB from the WMAP probe.

Check out this link if you are confused:
    In Praise of Ancient Light

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 284 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast