+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 284 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Hardon Collider     submit to reddit submit to twitter

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Yo!

I really have to get caught up on the current Dark Matter theories.

Wasn't there a time when dark matter was also called anti matter or have they always been two separate phenomenon?

I wonder if the LHC will help understand why or how the balance of antimatter to matter was shifted off equal to allow for the grouping of matter.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

I always understood them to be two different things? One was the "this makes matter explode" stuff, and the other was the "we can't see it, but are pretty sure it's there" stuff.

Master of blackface Range Rover beer bottle throwing.
    BG Level

Different. Antimatter has been demonstrated through experiments, so it's properties are known, it is just how it sounds, the anti to our matter. Positrons (positive electrons) and Antiprotons. If you combine antimatter with matter they annihilate themselves emitting photons and stuff. Isn't this the stuff they used in that DaVinci Code sequel, Angels and Demons? lol

Dark Matter is still very much a hypothesis which scientist are hoping to be able to prove with the LHC.

There is no dark matter Q.Q.

It's just the X in our equations that represents our MASSIVE errors in our current physical models.

Dont expect for anyone to find a particle of "dark matter". Expect instead a refined understanding of the properties of mass/matter, and how they react in spacetime.

Some cool stuff though:

Space has a physical dimension, however there is "nothing" in it, so it can/is contracted/bent/moved based on relative actions (space changes based on your velocity/c ratio, as well as the physical dynamics of space change in/around singularities). There is this connection between this "empty" physical void and matter/gravity. It seems to me that space itself is really "non existant", i.e. there isnt really a distance or area between any given object(at least in the perspective of light waves), just a relative spatial distance that is apparent when you move from non causel c frame to our 3d causel universe.

For example, it's as if a single point ->.<- is here, yet it sees itself as two points very far away ->.<- ----------- ->.<-. This empty distance that has no actual physical matter between it is nothing but a resultant byproduct from this causel transformation. It is one of the reasons there is literally "nothing" in space between objects, yet it still takes time/distance traveled to get there (in our frame). It also explains why c is the limiting velocity, because once you get there you are already at your destination.

For instance, 1 light year of distance takes 1 year for a photon to travel (in our frame of rest). However, to that photon, it was instant. 2 light years of distance takes a photon 2 years to travel. However, to that photon, it was instant. So for a photon, d = dx2, t = tx2. Space/time itself is a single point in the c frame. My guess is that we need to change our perspective of space/time completely, which is what Ive been working on for a few years now. I wont get into the specific mechanics, but there is alot of information to be found in the trasformation from this non-causel single point c frame to the 3d spatial universe. Perhaps it is the greatest question/equation that will be solved in our lifetime. Maybe ill get lucky. Maybe not. Who knows.

Mr. Flippy

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    With the LHC we are hoping to open that proverbial door and see what the person behind it looks like.
    and this is what the guy behind the door looks like

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

That would be awesome.

Change this later.
    BG Level

Astrophysicist rock star!
    Oh, like this guy!

Master of blackface Range Rover beer bottle throwing.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Eratosthenes View Post
    Oh, like this guy!
    No, no. Like THIS GUY!

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

I know the discussion has gone past it, but I wanted to add something. Neil deGrasse Tyson gave an amazing lecture at OSU last October. He is honestly one of the most motivating speakers I have gone to see. He spoke to a packed crowd of around 2,000 for a little over 3 hours. Of that time, 1 hour was his actual speech and 2 hours were dedicated to answering questions from the audience. It was nothing short of amazing how he went over the time limit, even telling the OSU administrators "Just a few more questions." The man would have stayed all night if possible and at that point I'd never seen someone who genuinely cared so much for discussing the work he enjoyed.

Having watched him numerous times on PBS, I would say he is one ofthe reasons I enjoy science today. If you ever get a chance to meet him or hear him speak, definitely go.

Also, I can't wait for the LHC to be up and running. I may be a CS&E/Math person, but physics never ceases to amaze me.
    :D

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Is there any doubt why Neil deGrasse Tyson is the all-time returning Champion on the Colbert Report?

The guy is so awesome, he can capitalize a letter in the middle part of his middle name.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

I never understood - if the speed of light is constant, then how can it be bent by gravity? If it's bent by gravity...doesn't that mean it can be accelerated or decelerated by gravity? Doesn't the existence of a black hole mean that light doesn't have a constant speed?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The idea of constant speed are up in the air, its call the theory of VSL (varying speed of light). One of my favorite Theoretical physicist João Magueijo is a pioneer in that particular field. He uses cosmic inflation and basically the non uniformity of WMAP imaging as a spring board to answering questions regarding VSL.

No, light can easily be bent it has nothing to do with VSL at all. Einsteins theory of Relativity has proven that. I have to run off to a meeting or I would go into massive detail. I will when im out though :D

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

Yes still undergoing repairs, they are actually taking the time to check the rest of it for malfunctions as well. It's still alive and well thankfully!

Dr. Kaku was talking talking about it on SciQ recently when someone asked about it. That's my personal Mecca, bitches better recognize.
    Michio Kaku is the biggest quack I've ever listened to :/ He's only ever on TV because he's willing to say the crazy off the wall stuff just for attention.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Dude he is off the hook. Don't sip da rade.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Ok brb in hour

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    I never understood - if the speed of light is constant, then how can it be bent by gravity? If it's bent by gravity...doesn't that mean it can be accelerated or decelerated by gravity? Doesn't the existence of a black hole mean that light doesn't have a constant speed?
    YouTube - Physics 10 - Lecture 22: Relativity I

this is the "physics for dummies" course at ucberkeley, there's very little math involved.

Muller's my homie, the whole series is interesting.

Tottenham 'til I die
    BG Level

Dude he is off the hook. Don't sip da rade.
    I just hate that people listen to him and think "What he's saying is legitimate" because it totally isn't.

Banned.

BG Level

travelled itself back in time the magnet shit is a coverup

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by oldoldman View Post
    I just hate that people listen to him and think "What he's saying is legitimate" because it totally isn't.
    How so? As in I need an example?

Theoretical physicist do exactly what he does.

Title: "HUBBLE GOTCHU!" (without the quotes, of course [and without "(without the quotes, of course)", of course], etc)
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    Black astrophysicists are new white rappers. Lol
    Sig'd

Quote Originally Posted by bigrougabagel View Post
    Any idea what kind of experiments they have lined up? Or is it just the standard, "lets make a black hole and destroy the earff"? Last thing i read, they still had plans to find the higgs particle.
    One thing people don't mention a lot is the possibility that we may discover the lightest superparticles through the LHC.

Every particle in our universe is either a fermion or a boson. Fermions are "normal" matter particles, like electrons, protons, neutrons, etc. Bosons are more like ghost. They can be in the same place at the same time. You can stack any amount of bosons into the exact same spot in space at the same time, and they'll coexist peacefully, whereas fermions act more like pool balls (you can't put one pool ball somewhere if another one is there already. You have to move the other first or stack them on top of each other or something). Light is made of photons, which is an example of a boson.

Supersymmetry predicts that every particle has a superpartner, a sparticle (super particle). So electrons, which are fermions, will have a partner called a selectron, which is very similar to the electron except it's a boson and is much heavier. This is true of all sparticles; they belong to the other class of particles and are much heavier.

MANY theories in theoretical physics depend on supersymmetry, so finding a superparticle (or disproving their existance) would be a huge deal.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrougabagel View Post
    With dark matter; Have they actually theorized what it is other than mystery "stuff" that makes gravity models of the observable universe work nice and pretty?
    Some people theorize that superparticles or neutrinos could explain the missing mass. Neither of these seem likely. It's more likely to be some new form of matter we have yet to discover.

(A neutrino is a byproduct of neuclear reactions. The sun is spitting out tons of them every second. By the time you finish reading this sentence, trillions of them will have flown right through your body. They don't interact electrically, magnetically, or through the strong nuclear force, so typically they can fly through solid matter without affecting it. A neutrino can fly through a few light years of solid lead before it actually collides with anything. Neutrinos are likely massless, so they can't be darkmatter).

Dark matter may not be the answer, as Neosutra pointed out.

In the 1800s we were fine with classical physics. It worked fine in the realm in which we applied it. It didn't become a problem until we tried to apply it to new domains (i.e. the really big and the really small parts of nature). When classical physics fell apart, we realized that classical physics was never correct. It just happens to be a really great approximation of our normal everyday experience so we never realized it was wrong until we applied it to an area outside of our normal everyday experience.

For small scale science, we invented quantum mechanics (henceforth QM) to account for the new phenomenon and reconcile our discrepancies. For large scale space (i.e. for entire solar systems and galaxies), Einstein came up with General Relativity (henceforth GR). We began to apply GR to larger and larger systems (just like we tried to apply classical physics to larger and larger systems). Eventually, we reach a certain scale where GR no longer agrees with observation (just like classical physics eventually no longer applied once we reached a certain scale....see the pattern?). So just as we had to admit classical physics was not correct, but just an approximation, the same could easily be true of GR.

So we have two possibilities to explain these discrepancies: either there's mass we can't see, or our laws are just wrong. There's also a third possibility that I never even heard about until I went to the APS march meeting. I can't remember what it was though.

But anyways, in 2016 (i think, but I could be wrong about the year) NASA is sending three space probes far from earth to take special measurements which will settle the debate. We'll then know if we need to scrap GR or discover dark matter.

I'm a huge fan of QM, so I'd be extremely happy to give up GR (afterall, QM and GR are incompatible...they cannot both be correct. It's a logical, mathematical, and scientific fact that at least one of the two is wrong). Max probably has the exact opposite opinion on this matter. As an anology to antimatter, Max is basically an antiwoozie (or I'm an antimax). When it comes to theoretical stuff, we have the exact opposite opinion on everything, but if we ever join forces, we'll annihilate this entire universe out of existence.

Like I said, Max, Woozie, Zoob
    You know who's missing from this list? Neo and Kaylia. I just noticed that Neo doesn't post much in these kind of threads despite the fact that he probably knows more about this than any of us. And where has Kaylia been?

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut View Post
    Wasn't there a time when dark matter was also called anti matter or have they always been two separate phenomenon?

I wonder if the LHC will help understand why or how the balance of antimatter to matter was shifted off equal to allow for the grouping of matter.
    They've always been seperate. Antimatter was discovered in theory before discovered in practice. Dirac tried to unify special relativity (henceforth SR) with QM and got a strange loophole that could only be reconciled by proposing that there are "holes" in space, which manifest itself as what we now call positrons. His theory was built upon and eventually let to the hypothesis (and eventual discovery of) all forms of antimatter.

As for matter/antimatter balance, I believe theorist explain this as one of the forms of symmetry breaking. I just started to learn the mathematics of Quantum Field Theory a few months ago (which is the unified theory of SR and QM), so I don't quite understand symmetry breaking yet, at least not from a mathematical perspective. Neo might be able to explain it better.