+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

best way to compare pizzas

So here's a random request for ideas. My wife and her friends will be out of town for a week, leaving me to bachelor it up. In my quest to do so, I want to eat nothing but pizza for a week straight (if I can manage to). I have a good list of local mom & pop pizza places to try out. My question is what do you guys think the best way to compare taste is? Get something simple like a plain cheese?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Papa John's and call it a day!

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

i am friggin jealous.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

stick your dick in it

or yeah just go with papa johns...

Good luck with the constipation following all of that cheese ingestion.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

If they have it as an option, get extra tomatoes on your pizza. Good tasting tomatoes = good pizzeria. Sliced shit that looks like it was taken off a hamburger and put on top of the cheese = shit pizzeria.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Go for pan, thincrust or deepdish at all of the places, hope they all offer it.

Go with the deluxe at each; get an idea of how they handle all their toppings instead of going for the basic taste at each. Or see if they'll do half and halfs with half deluxe half pepperoni.

Honestly the way I judge a pizza is by how it taste the next morning. If the crust turns into cardboard, or the cheese to rubber then that's not such a great pizza. There are not too many great mom and pop pizza around here so I normally just go with Papa Johns. I love their pizza!

I say go with standard cheese and peperoni in all cases to make a fair test (peperoni will give a good standpoint on maximum greasy-ness.

Then each night order from a new place. eat a few slices, then fridge it for another taste the next morning. repeat for a week.

For corporate brands I agree with papa johns, but there are a lot of mom & pop places that blow them completely out of the water.

A great pizza is really about great ingredients as a whole. If any one part sucks the pizza will fail.

I'd suggest half supreme and half just cheese (or pepperoni if you must). This way on the supreme side you can taste the quality of the veggies and meats, and on the cheese side you can really get a feel for the quality of the cheese, sauce, and crust.

Personally I value a good crust more than anything. If I wouldn't eat the crust by itself with a little olive oil and garlic or whatever, then it's not a good pizza.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Go with whatever you'd usually get, and get the same thing at each place.

Unless you eat the entire thing in one sitting, I'd probably factor in the reheat/cold pizza angle too.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Devolving into the pizza thread. I'd agree with the variable eliminating via a simple pepperoni.

Perhaps you could gauge a Pizzaria's skills by special ordering (i.e. easy on the sauce, or extra toppings, etc.) to see if they skimp out on your extras or straight up ignore some of the things you ask for less of. That difference is night & day for me. I rarely go back to a place upon ordering "easy on the sauce" when they give me some example of cheese plate tectonics on tomato sauce magma.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

How nationwide is Jet's Pizza? I know it's in Michigan and Florida. I think it's a tie between Jet's and Girodono's Pizza for me.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshiin View Post
    How nationwide is Jet's Pizza? I know it's in Michigan and Florida. I think it's a tie between Jet's and Girodono's Pizza for me.
    I lived and have gone to Florida to visit family for the majority of my life and have never heard of either lol.

Anyways Sally's and Pepe's are the shit, one of the many reasons to live in CT.. but crust's taste when its fresh and the next morning as well as cheese being rubbery in the morning is important. Also I'd say don't do the pepperoni or cheese only but try 1 or more veggies such as an earlier poster mentioned w/ tomatoes, shit that needs to be fresh like tomatoes/onions etc should clue you in on quality moreso than pepperoni.

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

There's a place called Flatbread Pizza around here, it's all hippy like and all they use are natural ingredients bla bla bla but seriously it's the best fucking pizza i've ever had, I believe it's a Vermont chain (although there are only maybe 5 or 6 total locations, all in the northeast) so if you happen to be in new england try one of them if you can.

Best way to test flavor would probably be plain cheese, since it only incorporates the basic ingredients of a pizza (cheese/dough/sauce yeah?) where one location may use way better toppings than another and skew the results.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

If you plan to discover which has the best pizza, you need to order 3 slices at a time from each place.

1plain
    1pepperoni
    1special (typically everything/garbage, but if you don't like that do a different specialty like chickenparm or cheesesteak pizza).

I've discovered that if I want plain, I go to Pizza place X, if I want some toppings, I go to Pizza place Y, etc.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I agree with Boyiee, what he said makes perfect sense. Plain cheese will allow you to thoroughly evaluate the basics of their pizza. Pepperoni is an important topping that should be done by itself. The special slice is there to get a hold on anything else the joint has that may interest you.

Also, if you're making a point to try new things, then I'd also advise forgoing Papa John's altogether.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Ledo's is the best pizza in the country. There I did your work for you :D

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Best way?

1) Go to Sally's Apizza in New Haven, CT and have a pie. Any will do, but for comparison sake just go with plain cheese.
    2) Rate anything else on a scale with 1 being Dominos/Pizza Hut and 10 being Sally's and ONLY Sally's.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    Best way?

1) Go to Sally's in New Haven, CT and have a pizza. Any will do.
    2) Rate anything else on a scale with 1 being Dominos/Pizza Hut and 10 being Sally's and ONLY Sally's.
    Pizza Hut Stuffed Crust Ultimate Supreme definitely gets like a 2 or a 3, not a 1. But otherwise, I agree with point #2. Not sure about #1.