Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Snapshot and RNG     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Snapshot and RNG

with new equipments and the mythic weapon, I have 3 questions
    1-has anyone figured if snapshot has a cap?
    2-does the merit , Zha'Go's Barbut and Mirke Wardecors can all stacks together?
    3-how much is exactly the enhancement from Zha'Go's Barbut, is there is any other way to measure it without using FPS?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

4-is it worth playing rng when you pay to fire ammo that does less damage than other melees do for free on just about every endgame mob that matters?

Nevermind, I'm just jaded.

I'm pretty sure I can answer #2. I have merits, barbut & mirke and there is a tiny, yet noticeable difference in speed.

Motherfucking
    NOSTRADAMUS

Vamos los Perds!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Wulfgang Amadeus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I have capped Barbut, Wardecors, and capped Snapshot; they certainly stack and it is noticeable. The issue is that without an auto-RA function, the haste advantage is kind of wasted.

4-is it worth playing rng when you pay to fire ammo that does less damage than other melees do for free on just about every endgame mob that matters?
    For DI, Khim, Odin, La Vaule / Bead. [S] BCs, and some other things I really enjoy playing RNG. Some fights like Cerb you could go as anything, but a RNGs damage dealt vs. taken is always lower than a melee DD and helps low manning things / keeping mages sane.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post
    I have capped Barbut, Wardecors, and capped Snapshot; they certainly stack and it is noticeable. The issue is that without an auto-RA function, the haste advantage is kind of wasted.
    This is by far the worst thing about RNG, and what RNG definitely needs the absolute most.

RNG really needs an auto-RA. They must get an auto-RA.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

#3 has always been my big Q. It's really frustrating when they put "enhances" and don't give a percentage. Obviously, it's the only headpeace with it, until moogle add-on, which then it could become an issue...

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

ranger has several advantages over other jobs as stated before.
    Not taking damage is the primary one, you might do slightly less than a well geared melee, but youll last longer than them if you control your hate properly.
    Accuracy wise, a rangers normal shots have much less chance to miss even when they are stacking attack. Normal melee, while accurate, cant touch the accuracy of a ranger.

The biggest downer of ranger is losing enmity, since we have no JA for it, however with a THF in the PT stealing your hate, you can trick a large amount onto a tank with little work. Rangers and Thieves are bff in that regard and a tank will love you as you reach the hate cap and the tanks are struggling to maintain it.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zhane View Post
    #3 has always been my big Q. It's really frustrating when they put "enhances" and don't give a percentage. Obviously, it's the only headpeace with it, until moogle add-on, which then it could become an issue...
    Im almost positive that enhances is usually 1-2%. snapshot itself, the merits, are probably a single percent, the hat and body are 1-3% (I think the hat is probably 3)

what could be done to find the variables is a ranger with no snapshot merits and the same weapon and a ranger with the new hat start shooting. Measure the speed difference then add a single snapshot merit and test the firing again. Should give us an idea of how much the new hat adds and what the equiv in merits is

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    This is by far the worst thing about RNG, and what RNG definitely needs the absolute most.

RNG really needs an auto-RA. They must get an auto-RA.
    With the advances in scripting and Windower, I'm somewhat surprised to see in the time I've been /away no one has developed an auto-ra plugin. Should just be a bindable script that can figure out you're current /ra delay, adds a small fudge factor and spams /ra for you. Hit the key once to turn it on, hit it again to turn it off.

Am I forgetting something that makes this harder than it seems?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfgang View Post

For DI, Khim, Odin, La Vaule / Bead. [S] BCs, and some other things I really enjoy playing RNG. Some fights like Cerb you could go as anything, but a RNGs damage dealt vs. taken is always lower than a melee DD and helps low manning things / keeping mages sane.
    its good to know they stack, also as you said RNG is more effective in many end game mobs especially Odin and ToAU kings. Some full time Melees do not measure dmg taken VS dmg given and assume that MP pools are infinite. and those new NMs tend to have massive amount of TP moves that are 10' in range which all melees fall into except RNGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    Im almost positive that enhances is usually 1-2%. snapshot itself, the merits, are probably a single percent, the hat and body are 1-3% (I think the hat is probably 3)

what could be done to find the variables is a ranger with no snapshot merits and the same weapon and a ranger with the new hat start shooting. Measure the speed difference then add a single snapshot merit and test the firing again. Should give us an idea of how much the new hat adds and what the equiv in merits is
    the body is 5% cause its stated , and the merit states -2% per merit if i am not mistaken. and its true THF are BFF for RNGs, the RNG+THF worked wonder for us especially on Odin fights.

Sic itur ad astra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by draxyl View Post
    With the advances in scripting and Windower, I'm somewhat surprised to see in the time I've been /away no one has developed an auto-ra plugin. Should just be a bindable script that can figure out you're current /ra delay, adds a small fudge factor and spams /ra for you. Hit the key once to turn it on, hit it again to turn it off.

Rapid shot would be useless then. Every time rapid shot procs, the added speed would be wasted because the script would still wait the same amount of time to shoot again.

Plus not everyone plays on PC or uses Windower.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by draxyl View Post

Well, there is Rapid Shot that Mellema mentioned, but honestly it should be a fundamental part of the game. But with the very small differences that occur in timing between shots, it would require a rather hackish solution if it was done through Windower.

I really want to whine about melee not having to click attack to swing. LOL

I know the game is old, but it just seems like there is something SE could do to fix this for RNG.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    I know the game is old, but it just seems like there is something SE could do to fix this for RNG.
    I always wondered why there wasn't a built in command like "/autoranged ON" or something. My assumption would be it sould be smart enough to take snapshot, and rapid shot into account. Why they haven't done so is just beyond me.

The best I was ever able to do while messing around with RA was to make a macro with like a 6 second delay in it, which allowed me to shoot 3 times before i had to press the button again. Very primitive, but I just could not stand wailing on my /ra <t> macro trying to fire asap. So annoying.

Sic itur ad astra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    I always wondered why there wasn't a built in command like "/autoranged ON" or something. My assumption would be it sould be smart enough to take snapshot, and rapid shot into account. Why they haven't done so is just beyond me.

The best I was ever able to do while messing around with RA was to make a macro with like a 6 second delay in it, which allowed me to shoot 3 times before i had to press the button again. Very primitive, but I just could not stand wailing on my /ra <t> macro trying to fire asap. So annoying.
    Plus, if you hit /ra too soon you get that message saying you have to wait longer, which causes further delay until you can shoot again. Doing that just once and all the snap shot and rapid shot up to that point has been wasted.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Mellema View Post
    Plus, if you hit /ra too soon you get that message saying you have to wait longer, which causes further delay until you can shoot again. Doing that just once and all the snap shot and rapid shot up to that point has been wasted.
    Right, exactly. I got so annoyed I just made the macro, accepted the less than optimal setup, and went with it. Made RAing in general just seem so unattractive, and this was just pre-37 levels.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

you could in theory make a g15 macro that starts ranged attacks then stops them with a different key press

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    you could in theory make a g15 macro that starts ranged attacks then stops them with a different key press
    There has to be a better way to do it, assuming you don't have a good manual grasp of the timing, but for me just screwing around, it didn't seem worth the investment time. It just opened my eyes to just how annoying using a ranged weapon is to a melee one.

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Considering the new Snapshot head that's over the horizon, I'd assume the Snapshot enhancement on the Barbut might be 3~5%. Despite not having it myself, I can't see the new headpiece beating Barbut in that aspect.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    There has to be a better way to do it, assuming you don't have a good manual grasp of the timing, but for me just screwing around, it didn't seem worth the investment time. It just opened my eyes to just how annoying using a ranged weapon is to a melee one.
    I think the easiest way SE can fix this is by having you automatically range attack if you ctrl+A and u switched to battle mode (if your main job is RNG), sort of like RNG beastmen who will range attack until your in melee range where they start swinging at you.

or it can be applied to all job by having that option in config menu , so sam/rng or cor can use it too if they wish.

hmmm brb sending my 98342043029 suggestion to SE >.>

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I love Rng, but yeah, not having auto fire sucks. If people in WoW can do it, I don't see why FFXI can't. It's a pain to play RNG in long events like dyna. Heh, then you have to buy ammo, have to adjust distance, and stomach the range nerf.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mellema View Post
    Does it? I always suspected that if you hit it too soon you got an additional game delay, but is their evidence of this or is it just because you have to hit the macro again which slows you down.

Or do you just mean that you are delayed by having to hit the macro again? And that I am just imagining things. LOL