View Poll Results: Upgrade now or wait?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade to ATI Radeon 4890 now.

13 65.00%
  • Wait for DirectX 11 cards to be available.

7 35.00%
+ Reply to Thread
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Wait for DX11 capable card?

I'm upgrading my PC soon to be ready for Win7 and need some advice. Should I wait to upgrade the graphics card until the new DirectX 11 cards are out or go ahead and purchase an ATI 4890.

Just to give you an idea of the components I'll be replacing in my PC and what I'm planning on getting:

Current:
    Intel E6600
    ASUS P5Q Deluxe/WiFi-AP
    ATI Radeon X1950XTX
    2GB DDR2 1333MHz

Planned:
    Intel Core i7 920
    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
    6GB DDR3 1600MHz
    ATI Radeon 4890 or DirectX 11 card

Hard to say. DX10 has been out since vista and since then, hardly any games have taken advantage of the new architecture. Most developers are still using DX9 for people still using windows XP. Get a 4890 now, when the DX11's come out they'll be super expensive, and I doubt any games will take advantage of it anytime soon.

I'd tap that turian!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Wait to purchase since at least on the nVidia side of things, the difference between the GTX300 & GTX200 series is supposed to make the GF7 to GF8 look like nothing. Plus if you aren't that impressed by the new generation, prices will come crashing down on the 4890 you want. (The new gen is supposed to launch very near Win7's release.)

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Upgrade now, waiting for new tech is silly because 3-6 months after you get your new tech it's obsolete again >.>

The difference between DX9 and 10 wasn't all that, I doubt 9/10 to 11 will be much different

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Go 4870 for cheap and be a cool kid. As mentioned, I highly doubt from the get go that there will be a complete library of games at launch of DX11 supporting the new build.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Considering how little uses DX10, I don't see DX11 being used more as others have said. If DX10 was being widely used, I'd be prone to tell you to wait.

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Considering what Microsoft pulled with DX10.1 rendering existing DX10 cards obsolete if an application was to exclusively use 10.1, I'd say just upgrade and fuck DX11 until a future date where it's 'common', not 'new'.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    Go 4870 for cheap and be a cool kid. As mentioned, I highly doubt from the get go that there will be a complete library of games at launch of DX11 supporting the new build.
    ATI and Nvidia will probably release a driver update for the older high-end cards anyways so they can use DX11.

killerc4

the jump between the coming gt300 and the current top gen cards is speculated to be very big, so I would definitely wait to see how the next gen cards are.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm curious about this too. I use Vista/DX10 atm, and have a GTX 8800. I'm almost positive that I can use DX11 when it gets released, but can't find confirmation anywhere. Anyone offhand know?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

It'd be the card of the future if it had everything it needed to run a future version of DirectX.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by killerc4 View Post
    the jump between the coming gt300 and the current top gen cards is speculated to be very big, so I would definitely wait to see how the next gen cards are.
    Yes, but is he going to shell out $600~ bucks when the 300's come out? Honestly I'd buy now, and wait for the 300's to drop in price. You will probably be able to get a gtx285 for around 250~ I've seen some with rebate for less than 300 these days.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Waiting for a DX11 card makes sense, not because it's DX11 instead of DX10, but because (speaking specifically from an Nvidia standpoint) it's an entirely brand new GPU architecture that's going to, supposedly, be 2-3 times faster than the GT200 series of GPUs