• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Has anyone used Omega or DNA drivers for ATI cards?

Just curious peoples opinions on these modified drivers (if anyone even uses them)...

Recently my video card has been crashing (maybe its hardware related, not completely sure).

This morning i woke up to a vista popup about my video card drivers crashing, so starting thinking about some alternatives. This is the first time it has crashed like this, but I have had application crashes pointing to an ati dll.

DAKPluto

Omega drivers back when I used ATI were hands the best drivers ever for ATI. Many a ATI tech would even refer people to the Omega drivers. Assuming he is keeping up the same level of great work, I'd highly recommend them.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

After a bit of reading, it seems the creator had some issues in life, and has not put out an update in awhile, but is planning to this month (hopefully some vista, specifically x64 drivers since only xp and lower is support at the moment)

thanks for the feedback DAK, i will keep an eye on their site for the vista drivers.

anyone know about the DNA drivers?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

This may be a little off-topic but are there any modified drivers for nvidia, kinda like Omega but for nVidia?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

both these versions i mentioned omega and dna have drivers for nvidia cards....

DNA:
    Do Not Argue | Forums | DNA-nVidia drivers

the most recent changelog:
    Do Not Argue | DNA-nVidia Vista 180.48 x32 (UPDATE) |

Omega (it mentions the latest forceware modded as 169, which i think is pretty old.)
    OmegaDrivers.net - Home of the ATI & NVIDIA Omega Drivers. NVIDIA

the changelog on the latest:
    OmegaDrivers.net - Home of the ATI & NVIDIA Omega Drivers. NVIDIA Readme Windows Vista

you also might wanna check out these sites:
    Videocards - Guru3D.com Forums
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocar...ified)_c2.html

Quote Originally Posted by Khalil View Post
    This may be a little off-topic but are there any modified drivers for nvidia, kinda like Omega but for nVidia?
    I thought Omega did drivers for nvidia... at least, he used to. I haven't used them in a while, due to him having his RL issues and whatnot, and now I'm not sure. I mean, he still lists Nvidia on his page.. but the last update was like end of year 2007, heh.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Although Omega drivers were oft regarded as very nice, exhaustive testing shows there's not a huge difference between them and the standard flavor. Considering the lengthy lack of updates and other matters, there isn't much reason to use them over the regular ATI Catalyst packages.

Normally, I'd not recommend ATI's own unmodified drivers strictly due to the burdensome CCC, among other things, but there's really not a whole lot of reason to go with "enhanced" ones. However, if you're comfortable with using Driver Cleaner Pro -- definitely find the free version, 1.5 -- you can play with various driver kits to your heart's content.

Formerly a hardcore Omega advocate, and someone who has played with DNA in the past, I currently just use vanilla drivers. If you want to know more, Google some benchmarking results. There are modified sets which do provide a marginal advantage, so go with whatever tickles your fancy.

Most of the time vanilla will do you just fine. And you don't have to get CCC with your download, you can choose to just get the drivers. This is what I do. Only in specific cases where vanilla had an issue do I typically reach out to examine the other available sets. Over time a lot of the 3rd party flavors have died out though, so you don't really have many choices left anymore.

Personally though I find vanilla with ATT and major indepth tweaking will get you everything you want out of your system. Which reminds me I need to update my ATT version...