+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sanoske

Anyone know some "upscale" restraurants in NYC?

So, I'm looking to take the lady on a nice evening outing. We realized the other day that we've never actually gone out for a nice dinner. She recently bought a gorgeous BCBG dress and has been looking for an excuse to wear it out, plus her birthday is coming up... so I figure I'll surprise her and give her a night on the town.

As far as prices go, I'm broke so let's keep it below Donald Trump level. ~$150 for the meal would be perfect, and the place has to be somewhere that shirt/tie/jacket is a dress code must. She is a big seafood fan, just something to keep in mind.

I assume we have plently of NYC people on these boards. Any suggestions?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Jewel Bako - East Village - New York, NY if your into sushi, may be a little on the pricey side. Trattoria Belvedere - Murray Hill - New York, NY my is a personal favorite for me, not to expensive, good food and nice atmosphere.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Balthazar Restaurant :: Home

the only thing I'm not sure on is the dress code, I don't think they officially have one. but they are good and their seafood menu is excellent. might not be quite upscale enough for you though, you could easily spend $150 on a meal but I think you could probably get away with $100 or maybe less, depending on what you order and which wine you pick.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Houstons

Sorta upscale, not super pricy. I don't go to upscale enough to really know. >.>;

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Assuming she likes sushi, go to Nobu. Hands down best Sushi you will eat, and the chefs there are awesome. Just make a reservation in advance as its booked up somewhat far in advance, unless you want to sit at the bar but it doesn't sound like you do.

BG's worst Rangers fan
    Fleury 2; Lundqvist 0
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bad Karma
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Carmine's is a good italian place in Time Square.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Turalyon

Persian Food. Ravaugh and Colbeh are the ones I know of and they are delicious... Although Colbeh is slightly pricey.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by ertyu View Post
    Assuming she likes sushi, go to Nobu. Hands down best Sushi you will eat, and the chefs there are awesome. Just make a reservation in advance as its booked up somewhat far in advance, unless you want to sit at the bar but it doesn't sound like you do.
    ^

Relic Shield
    BG Level

anyone ever try Rao's? I heard its great but getting a reservation is next to impossible.

balthazars is good food but it's a french bistro place..kinda casual, i useto work in soho and eat lunch there quite often.

houstons is a chain..i wouldn't recommend going there either...the food is just okay...recently changed it's name and the food has gone down hill since.

la bernadin is quite fancy i doubt you'll be able to stay in budget however. was it 150 per person or total?

nobu is good if you like japanese, might see some celebrities too ;x
    morimoto could be a good 2nd choice. if you do a la carte and both restaurants might be able to stay in budget.

heres my recommendations:

buddakan (super trendy asian restaurant..good place to take your gf...nice interior)
    Buddakan NYC

jean-georges spice market (asian food...romantic sexy interior)
    Spice Market, Spice Market Menu, Spice Market NYC Menu

babbo (awesome italian...mario batali restaurant)
    Babbo Restaurant

landmarc at the timewarner building
    Landmarc Restaurant | Home

union square cafe (american food)
    | Union Square Cafe |

blt prime (fancy steak house)
    BLT PRIME: 212 995 8500

del posto (italian-another celebrity chef restaurant..good food!)
    Coming Soon!

degustation wine & tapas bar (trendy restaurant...small plates, french/spanish inspired)
    Degustation Wine & Tasting Bar - East Village - New York Magazine Restaurant Guide

let me know if you need more suggestions...have fun
    plz let us know where you decide!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingadem View Post
    Trattoria Belvedere - Murray Hill - New York, NY my is a personal favorite for me, not to expensive, good food and nice atmosphere.
    omg lol i live like a block from here..i nvr ate here tho..i will def try. if you live around here, do you go to vezzo pizza? so yummy...also i eat at resto ..good belgium restaurant and penelopes is okay for brunch. so many new places opening up too in the neighborhood ^^

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by wonderlust View Post
    omg lol i live like a block from here..i nvr ate here tho..i will def try. if you live around here, do you go to vezzo pizza? so yummy...also i eat at resto ..good belgium restaurant and penelopes is okay for brunch. so many new places opening up too in the neighborhood ^^
    Yea there are a ton of places over there, vezzo pizza is on 31st right? I been there once its pretty good. I usually just go eat at belvedere when im in that area, my uncle would get mad if he found out I ate somewhere else, he owns it lol. I did try that sushi place across the street once or twice I forgot its name, its not to bad.

- Spice Market is nice. Like wonderlust said, the interior is nice. I wasn't too wow-ed by the food, but we got seated in like this couch area which was SO comfortable but the table was small. It's supposed to be family style, but the whole small table thing kind of negated that idea (couldn't fit all our dishes in there lol). If you go, get your GF to order the pineapple mojito (!!!). So good...

- I enjoyed Blue Water Grill (B.R. Guest Restaurants). The seafood is pretty damn good and not insanely price. 150 should cover you two, interior is also nice and the wait staff were really friendly.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

second this. Jacket required (don't need a tie) and it's all seafood. Unfortunately, it might be out of your price range, unless you want to do lunch. 3 course lunch is around $68 person. drinks/tip/tax should pull you around $160sh.

Took my dad there for his bday. Did the chef's tasting menu ($185/head). 6 ppl and a bottle of win. it was something like $1800. Money well spent.

I think their dinner price fixe is like $105/head and 4 courses. They'll give you an amuse bouche, all the bread you want, and some other goodies too.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Badkarma View Post
    Carmine's is a good italian place in Time Square.
    This is a good place, but isn't it more for tourists?

Ksandra Needs To Post Tits
    BG Level

Really dick? Really? You don't call or IM me? Really?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Can't help you out since I don't live in NY or ever been to, sorry.

But, does anyone know of any in San Francisco?

Ridill
    BG Level

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse: Best Prime Steak Restaurant is pretty damn good no matter where you are.

edit: I should have read a little more thoroughly. "Upscale" for $150 for 2, let alone in NYC?

gl with that...

I'm not saying you can't get good food, but Ruth's Chris is like... basically the line where you *start* getting into "upscale," and if you wanna pay less than $100 a person before drinks, you basically have to reserve and "order" the special like months in advance.

Road Tinnies
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Kingadem View Post
    Yea there are a ton of places over there, vezzo pizza is on 31st right? I been there once its pretty good. I usually just go eat at belvedere when im in that area, my uncle would get mad if he found out I ate somewhere else, he owns it lol. I did try that sushi place across the street once or twice I forgot its name, its not to bad.
    Im hitting NYC in september and staying on 27th Street, Im a huge fan of Italian food and this place has great reviews.

You will have to hook me up