+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by donutseeds View Post
    I've found in my personal experience that it's easier to reinstall than it is to try and remove things. A reinstall will take you about an hour and you'll have a fresh system to play with.
    It very much depends on what you happen to get on the system. I tend to go with whatever seems like it'd take less time - very often, the steps described (or thereabouts) will result in a malware-free system in less time than it'd take for Windows updates after reinstalling. So they're worth a shot.

If the malware just won't go away though, then sure, it's more efficient to just reformat/etc than spend days fighting with it.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

If you routinely create a disk image of your machine, then obviously it'll be quicker to load that then to mess around with anti-malware utilities. But unless you have an install CD slipstreamed with all updates, by the time you reinstall, reload drivers, reinstall updates, and reload your data... you could have followed the above steps and gotten rid of the virus in a tenth of the time. Most aren't that bad and don't take much effort to clean.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Virus Scanner: Stop using AVG its shit.

Cant find the thread where we warned people, but Im going to sticky this.

Stop using AVG, its a piece of shit. It false positives all the time and misses the stuff it should pick up.

NOD32 is one of the better virus scanners. If you cant afford a virus scanner Avast is ok but you should really spend less money on games and some on quality protection if you cant get a license or ask someone in the know to upload it to an FTP for you.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

MS Security Essentials is also rather decent, free, and small/unobtrusive.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

=\

Got it.

Banned.

BG Level

I noticed that AVG does provide false positives a lot (eg I downloaded rainmeter and it said it was a virus... lol). Definitely gonna get rid of it now that I know I'm not the only one whose had problems with it.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Heavencloud View Post
    I noticed that AVG does provide false positives a lot (eg I downloaded rainmeter and it said it was a virus... lol). Definitely gonna get rid of it now that I know I'm not the only one whose had problems with it.
    I've been using AVG for years with zero problems. Never had a false positive or virus on four different machines. I have Rainmeter on two of them.

I'm not sure why some people have problems with AVG and others don't. The only things I can think of is corrupted installs or out of date virus databases.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Microsoft Security Essentials + Avast!5 Free is a good combo.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    MS Security Essentials is also rather decent, free, and small/unobtrusive.
    Completely agree.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Microsoft Security Essentials + Avast!5

Won't that cause double negatives? I've been using AVG and haven't had any issues. Maybe it's time to switch. Heard some decent things about MSE, so gonna try that.

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

Was using AVG and got 2 MMO accounts hacked in a month time frame. Switched to NOD 32 now. Fuck AVG.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Nod32 that good? Why?

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

I'm using it because Sono said to. I obey what the cat says because I'm pretty clueless about security software.

Weaboo of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Arthur Pendragon
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

I wouldn't say use software because someone tells you to, but NOD32 is definitely at least the second best, if not the best outright, software.

It's a toss up between it and Kaspersky, and Kaspersky is expensive as hell.

I doubt anyone on here is paying for either, though..

NOD32 uses less memory in the end, I would recommend it over Kaspersky.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Tymon View Post
    I wouldn't say use software because someone tells you to, but NOD32 is definitely at least the second best, if not the best outright, software.

It's a toss up between it and Kaspersky, and Kaspersky is expensive as hell.

I doubt anyone on here is paying for either, though..

NOD32 uses less memory in the end, I would recommend it over Kaspersky.
    $40/yr or so is hardly breaking the bank to get Nod32.

Worth it, completely.

But yes, Nod32 is fast, effective, updated at least once daily (if not more), not memory intensive, and has a low rate of false positives.

▲▲

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Pikarya Saisei
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

I don't like MSE. No way to opt-out of their big brother information reporting. Also if you turn off "real time" protection, you can't disable the annoying red tape notification that its turned off.

alsohawks

ALL YOU YOUNG HACKEY
    PLAYERS OUT THERE

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    I don't like MSE. No way to opt-out of their big brother information reporting. Also if you turn off "real time" protection, you can't disable the annoying red tape notification that its turned off.
    Same, most of my gripes with MSE were related to a really limited choice of options, but I love it for computers I'm just fixing up or checking on as opposed to my own.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

So I'm trying NOD32's 'free 30 day trial' and 24 hours in it's bugging me about a username/password. What the fuck?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I've tried nod32, went back to Kaspersky pretty quickly. It is one of the most expensive, but also has the highest detection rating in the market and is VERY easy to tell it to ignore stuff that needs to be ignored(Cracks, etc)

gonna save some hot babes and punch radiation in the mouth.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Frostwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Baelorn View Post
    I've been using AVG for years with zero problems. Never had a false positive or virus on four different machines. I have Rainmeter on two of them.

I'm not sure why some people have problems with AVG and others don't. The only things I can think of is corrupted installs or out of date virus databases.
    This. I've got AVG running on several machines, a server and a few slave boxes. Never had a false positive, Rainmeter works fine as well.