+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Ok, I have a questions after a bit of back information

I use AVG, only because I have been unable to find a good alternative. When I was using only AVG, I had my WoW accout hacked about 4 times in the space of a month. After the fourth time, I found zonealarm. After this, the hackings stopped. At the moment I am using AVG in conjunction with zonealarm. Would NOD32 eliminate the need for both of these programs?

Edit: WHen I asked this question, I was refering to NOD32 Smart Security. Technically, the answer is "yes," as it contains a firewall and internet protection software. However, i'm still curious to hear everyone's opinion on the matter.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    So I'm trying NOD32's 'free 30 day trial' and 24 hours in it's bugging me about a username/password. What the fuck?
    After you signed up for the 30 day trial (something I just did), you were sent an email containing a link to download the software. At this link, you were given a Username and Password. There was also an option to download this info as a text file. This is the username and password it is asking for.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Most of my IT classmates swear by NOD32, but my roommate (ex-TelCo worker) and every TelCO worker I know swears by Zone Alarm, and it's what the major phone companies use. EIther one should be fine, though Zone Alarm is antivirus and firewall, while I'm just using basic NOD32 antivirus becuase I know how to configure my own hardware router firewall and don't want a software one on my machine. Zone Alarm is very configurable though, and allows you to completely block network access on a program-by-program basis. ESET is very light and updated frequently.

You only really need one firewall and one antivirus. ESET and Zone Alarm offer both. More than one and they start fighting with each other and are more complex to configure when you need to change something.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I've been using Comodo AV and Firewall for awhile and haven't had any problems and they're both free. Does no one else use them? Just because I haven't had problems doesn't mean they're perfect, are the paid programs really better?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Theraven View Post
    I've been using Comodo AV and Firewall for awhile and haven't had any problems and they're both free. Does no one else use them? Just because I haven't had problems doesn't mean they're perfect, are the paid programs really better?
    Well. as a bit of anecdotal evidence, when I was searching trying to find whether NOD32 could replace zone alarm, and whether it was the best, every forum I checked seemed to agree that NOD32 is the very best AV/Firewall, with few people offfering AVG/Zonealarm as a close competitor. In line with this forum, the consensus seems to be that kaspersky is a close second (or maybe even first?).

Personally, I like NOD32 so far. I'm just on the free trial, but the constant updates and the resource light scans make me happy. With AVG, on windows 7, if I wanted to scan, I practically had to find something else to do, because it would shoot my resource usage to 100% cpu and about 80%. This caused me to constantly stop my scheduled scans if I happened to be awake and using my computer at that time. With NOD32, my computer has been scanned about 5 times since i've had it, all at times I know i've been using my computer; I haven't noticed one scan. That's how AV software should be imo.

tl;dr: NOD32 Best, says a lot of people. Maybe kaspersky too. The rest are lame duck.

Certified Man-Child
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Uzuki Ashtear
    FFXIV Server
    Famfrit
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    The Scryers

Good to know. I've been trying MSE with AVG, but often get a notification on the taskbar stating that my firewall has been disabled..

My ISP AT&T provides free antivirus, McAfee Security Suite. Only problem I see with this is, you can't just download an .exe to install it normally. Need to be connected for the entire process. I don't care for this because I have to uninstall AVG, otherwise McAfee won't install properly. Which leaves my PC without protection while McAfee downloads...not sure what could sneak in during that timeframe....

I really only use my PC for web browsing and downloading music (mostly via here or a forum I found thanks to Qal). I rarely torrent. Am I fine with just McAfee?

Edit: Also running Noscript..but I think that's just an essential program that everyone should be using by now, lol.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

I was looking for some antivirus advice, my subscription to Trend Micro is up soon, and I think I'm done with them

I'll try out NOD , however price isn't a problem so if anyone knows anything thats expensive and actually worth it I'm all ears.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Been using AVG for years and I've never had a problem or a false positive, although I won't argue that there are other options out there.

Since I got my new pc about a year ago, I've been running CA Internet Security Suite Plus and I love it. I used AVG and other free shit on my last pc after I was sick and tired of Norton's shit, but yeah it missed a lot of stuff/made false positives (even though I use firefox + all the add on's). A friend recommended this program to me as I was putting together this pc and I'm glad I got it. I've had 0 issues with viruses and it regularly cleans out spyware without being a burden on my system and lagging whatever else I'm doing.

Man, I haven't had virus block/detection software on my machines for many a year. Haven't had a virus, gotten hacked, anything (that I know of) for about 2 years. I don't think I even have my firewall turned on.

Safer browsing ftw

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

If you think your browsing habits are the only thing that can cause you grief...

lol

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus View Post
    If you think 99% of your browsing habits are the only thing that can cause you grief...

lol
    ftfy

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Quote Originally Posted by Zhais View Post
    Man, I haven't had virus block/detection software on my machines for many a year. Haven't had a virus, gotten hacked, anything (that I know of) for about 2 years. I don't think I even have my firewall turned on.

Safer browsing ftw
    I was the same... then I found MSE. I turn off firewall and such though, fucking pain in the ass.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Zhais View Post

Safer browsing ftw
    Wouldn't not having an AV program mean that you wouldn't know if you have a virus? Seems like a flaw in that conclusion...

I know browsing habits aren't the only thing that can cause grief, but that's a big opening for a lot of attacks on the normal consumer apart from outright downloading the malware.

I periodically d/l a scanner just to check, but I cannot stand having one installed on my system. Slows everything down so much, annoying popups/system tray clogging etc.

Actually had just installed and ran a scan after that post just so I could not be talking out my ass. Came back clean with just a few minor corrupted config files.

One thing I still want to do someday, is get a decent router where I can manage the firewall THERE better. Would rather place the brunt of the burden there rather than waste CPU time and effort on the machine itself. As a developer, I already max out my CPU at times... Don't need a scanner blocking resources that I'd rather have for Intellisense and compiling.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Some of the malware out there will defeat any scanner running on the infected OS. The point of an antivirus program is to catch the infection before it can install itself to your machine. Scanning after the fact can be too late. Running something with a small footprint like ESET or ZoneAlarm will reduce the impact on your system. I've had machines I've had to remove the hard drives from and scan on another system booted to a different drive to remove their infections, when the infected machine said it was clean from the antivirus program on it. Any protection is better than no protection, and malware is getting more sophisticated to make it harder to detect once it infects your machine.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Stop Using McAfee, they don't know what the fuck

http://gizmodo.com/5521176/mcafee-up...ull+%28Gizmodo

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Looking at prices, you guys say Kaspersky is expensive.

3users (thats 3 PCs) for 1yr is $79.99

NOD32 for 3PCs 1yr is $71.99. Not much of a price difference unless you jump up to the 2yr plan in which case NOD32 is only 106.99 for 3PCs. I have to protect 3 computers, even though I have 4-5 in my house, I'm sure most need only 1-2.

For a few dollars more NOD32 also has Firewall+Antispam. I'm looking at a 3PC package for 2yrs so should I get the basic for 106.99 or the full package for 133.99?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Jackie Chan Kaspersky commercial?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHEFmg1Cr0Q

Anyway Kaspersky Internet Security's on sale at Best Buy.com. Can go into a store and have them price match it for you if store isn't same price. $50 for 1YR, 3 users.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kaspersk...&skuId=9467542

Lastly, Best Buy has a non-retail version of Kaspersky AV and IS. This version allows you to choose:

6 Months - $20
    1 Year - $40
    2 Years - $70
    6 Months, 3 Users $35 (I think?)
    1 Year, 3 Users - $55 (I think?)
    2 Years, 3 Users - $85 (I think)

Those are the prices for the KAV 2010 Antivirus. All IS version should be the same as AV but +$15.

Sic itur ad astra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Has anyone here tried Kaspersky Pure? Looks like it is KIS with added password manager, virtual keyboard, encryption, file shredder, and backup software.

Was going to use NOD32 on my new laptop. but it came with 6 months of KAV. After using it the past couple days I really like the set up, so was going to upgrade to KIS.

Was just curious if anyone had used Pure and if you think it's worth the further upgrade?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast