+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    You fall, we haul. Saving your Ass is my business
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

So, is KIS just the upgraded version of KAV?

Sic itur ad astra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Quote Originally Posted by lovehatehero View Post
    So, is KIS just the upgraded version of KAV?
    KAV is just the anti-virus software. KIS adds firewall, network security, banner blocker, etc.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Is it worth paying the extra for the firewall and such, or are the AV softwares good enough alone?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Depends on if you need it and want to bear the extra RAM and CPU costs of running those extra features. I generally decline a software firewall on my machine, and just have my router's firewall configured since I have a CCNA.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Just to let you know. I have been using KIS for 3 years and have loved it. But, I never payed full price yet. Every year when it is about to time out I just buy a new key off ebay from a reseller. so far I have payed $5>$14>$12 for 3pc/1year. Just be sure you buy from a trusted seller w/ paypal or something in case they try to sell you a bogus key or something.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not:

Does anyone know if Avast 5 has the quick memory scan(scans all background stuff running) feature that was in Avast 4.8?

I only recently downloaded Avast 5 today but I was looking through everything and haven't found it.

I know there is a "Quick Scan" feature but that is simply a quick scan of your entire computer.

The feature in Avast 4.8 was that every time you started Avast, it would do a quick(15-30 second) scan of everything running in the background.

It was a nice way to check whether malware was running or not(right?).

Does anyone know if Avast 5 has the feature still(hidden somewhere or configurable?).

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by lilfoo View Post
    Just to let you know. I have been using KIS for 3 years and have loved it. But, I never payed full price yet. Every year when it is about to time out I just buy a new key off ebay from a reseller. so far I have payed $5>$14>$12 for 3pc/1year. Just be sure you buy from a trusted seller w/ paypal or something in case they try to sell you a bogus key or something.
    Do you mean, like these?

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Kaspersky-Int...ht_1457wt_1137

http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/KASPERSKY-INT...ht_1120wt_1137

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Ok so I cannot decide between Nod32 and KAV. There is quite a large price difference and I need 3PCs. KAV is offering mail in rebates right now as well as free upgrade to KAV2011 in august.

NOD is 106.99 for 2yrs... KAV should be 90 for 2yrs, but there is a MIB... also in my cart it's showing a 20$ discount but I don't know if that's before or after MIB, its showing a subtotal of like 70$.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

If you're able to get to a Best Buy, get their copy of KAV 2010 (should be a thin plastic/paper box). Should be at least $20 cheaper than getting from Kaspersky directly. The Best Buy version when they scan it at the register, gives them options to have 1 or 3 users and to choose to have it from 6 months, 1 YR, or 2 YR. It's always been cheaper than Kaspersky's site.

And with KAV, as long as your key is active, you can always upgrade the newer version of their software. So when they release 2011 or if they make an update to it, it'll always be there for DL.

www.kaspersky.com/kav_latest_versions

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

How could it be cheaper than the already dirt cheap KAV from the website lol. 60$ for 1yr 3pc with MIB... 40$ after rebate. So cheap...

Kinda hard to pass up getting it online right now tbh. That's why I'm afraid to overpay for NOD.

/lick
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Srs Bsns
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Asura

With that price difference, I'd go Kaspersky.

I have and love NOD, but it's not twice as good.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Ghostlands

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    I'm using it because Sono said to. I obey what the cat says because I'm pretty clueless about security software.
    i did that too..

me trust our admin

Banned.

BG Level

So is NOD32 better than Microsoft Security Essentials?

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Alright as someone else mentioned, hit up Ebay for Kaspersky. I was going to buy KAV from the site since it was only like 40$ after MIR, but on ebay the more expensive internet security version was 26$. He's got tons left and sells them quick, provides download link +Key for 3PC/1yr - was sent to my email pretty much immediately.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KASPERSKY-INTERN...ht_1780wt_1137

Can you spare some gil?
    BG Level

I had an issue with AVG that every time I wanted to play FFXI, I'd have to completely shut it down because it called POL a virus and wouldn't let it execute.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Don't use AVG.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    Alright as someone else mentioned, hit up Ebay for Kaspersky. I was going to buy KAV from the site since it was only like 40$ after MIR, but on ebay the more expensive internet security version was 26$. He's got tons left and sells them quick, provides download link +Key for 3PC/1yr - was sent to my email pretty much immediately.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KASPERSKY-INTERN...ht_1780wt_1137
    Err.

Unless you have some proof-positive way to ensure that what you're buying is authentic, I'd never buy a piece of software off ebay. Usually the price really is too good to be true.

Road Tinnies

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    if you cant get a license or ask someone in the know to upload it to an FTP for you.
    Can you just torrent NOD32 or does that not work? Care to share the steps involved in uploading it to an FTP?

Thanks

Ironing this Thread

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Norellicus View Post
    Err.

Unless you have some proof-positive way to ensure that what you're buying is authentic, I'd never buy a piece of software off ebay. Usually the price really is too good to be true.
    He can run a crack himself for all I care and sell the codes, the license he provides legitimately activates the full version for 3pc's from the trial that is downloaded from Kaspersky's website itself. Most of the guys are resellers and have anywhere from 10-200 copies sold, with 100% positive feedback. Always buy from power/top rated seller etc that has several sold already.

Someone else mentioned doing it earlier in the thread and never paying over 20$ for antivirus, 26$ was worth the risk for me for a 90$ version of KIS which is better than AV alone.

Guess my only proof-positive would be that I downloaded trial from Kaspersky, bought code from ebay, and upgraded 3 PC's to full version with it with 365days left.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Pikarya View Post
    I don't like MSE. No way to opt-out of their big brother information reporting. Also if you turn off "real time" protection, you can't disable the annoying red tape notification that its turned off.
    Little late, but after installing MSE on a friends PC it seems you can disable both of these now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast