+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Honestly I've never heard of it. You really hit the nail on the head though; I think though that as long as you're not retarded on the internet it doesn't matter what AV you choose. I ran my home PC for years w/o anything, but now I just use MSSE. The worst of the viruses that I see now are the rogue AVs that spread via facebook, and then tend to go through any and all AVs. Probably 75% of what I fix at the shop these days are removing those, and most PCs had some up-to-date AV installed (including all the big names).

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

^ Pretty much my experience as well. I see a -lot- of malware-infected machines come in, and basically every single one has an antivirus program running/updated.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Have you seen a lot of malware-infected pcs lately that hose up flash player?

Of course it's natural for them to kill off AV products and fuck up the 'net, but I was seriously annoyed to see them fuck up flash. At least it's a relatively simple registry fix.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Not that I recall, mostly just the .exe hijack ones.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia View Post
    Not that I recall, mostly just the .exe hijack ones.
    I've had probably a half-dozen pcs in the last week that had the virus put a "kill-bit" into the registry that prevents shockwave/flash from being allowed as an add-on to internet explorer (yes yes, ie bleh), and w/o those basically the whole internet (ie, youtube) doesn't work. It caused all sorts of headaches until we found a reference to it online.

Bringer of Bacon
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

If you can afford to have $50 hanging out there until you get the rebate, this is a steal.

Kaspersky Internet Security 2011, 3 user

$50.00 mail in rebate on a $50.00 item, so free after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832355021

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

So I'm getting an avast popup saying that some sites have 'HTML:Iframe-inf' or 'HTML:Script-inf' infection or something sounding similar. It only pops up when I try to load the website (it happens to a few sites but most I go to are fine).

Can anyone with avast check icefilms.info (as that site gives me the popup every time) to see if this is a problem with the site or maybe my avast is giving false positives for sites that are a certain way.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lrak Sevenspears
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I've read a number of forums and people seem to be having similar experiences, myself included. At first I scanned my computer just to be sure but it is apparently something from the Avast side that they've cocked up on.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

Oh... thank god. So is it safe to ignore the warning then or is there still a possibility the sites aren't safe. Oh, and can you post the link where other people talk about it so I can get more info.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lrak Sevenspears
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Thread on /g/, take it for what you will: http://boards.4chan.org/g/res/16930950

I just updated it now, turned back on the web shield and it seems to be working fine, not blocking/causing pop-ups on any websites.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Any recommendations on any registry specific cleanup tools? I have been having issues with mine in the past 2 weeks and have wanted to scrap it anyways.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Ponto View Post
    Any recommendations on any registry specific cleanup tools? I have been having issues with mine in the past 2 weeks and have wanted to scrap it anyways.
    I always used ccleaner, never had any problems with it

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

There used to be a sticky called "STOP USING AVG ITS SHIT" but it's gone now. I believe it was sono who said "If you can spend 50$ on a videogame you can spend 50$ to protect your computers for a year."

My 1yr 3pc Kaspersky is up in 25days, I paid maybe 25 or 26$ for KIS when I got it, and I'm looking for something new.

I don't think I like Kaspersky, it seems to be a resource hog once in a while. I want something that uses minimal resources but offers great protection. I was looking at NOD32 as I know it's top notch, but I'm afraid of opening my processes and seeing it near the top. My computers can handle it, I'd just prefer they didn't have to.

NOD32 still the best bet? Should I grab just the Antivirus or the whole Smart Security?

edit: hmm It looks like Newegg has 3user 1yr nod32 for 32.99 with free shipping. I don't think anything is going to beat that price.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Nod32 is great, its very light on resources, has a bunch of advanced user options and consistently ranks in the top of detection rate tests. All you need is the antivirus/spyware part of it, the windows firewall is good enough.

listen!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    edit: hmm It looks like Newegg has 3user 1yr nod32 for 32.99 with free shipping. I don't think anything is going to beat that price.
    Free from their website beats it. You can get a one month free trial from their website, with nothing more than an email address (tempomail), and a fake name. I've been using it for well over a year, and have never spent a cent on it, nor used cracked versions, etc. It takes all of two minutes per month to take care of it.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Kaspersky came with my motherboard, and chokes and crashes when trying to do a full scan of my 8 hard drives totaling ~10 TB. ESET never did that to me when I used it, and only took about 30 MB of RAM. Unless I had a full scan in progress, it never used much CPU time, on a Pentium 4. I'm looking at that when I have money to spare, and I doubt it will affect my 6 core Phenom II adversely.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

got a virus that i guess spread through our network. wont let us connect to the internet. when i open firefox or anything connecting to the internet it goes to a screen that says something along the lines of browser update available. when i go to page source on it, it says something about bank of nikolai and i have a pen. any ideas?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Tried safe mode with network support?

Tried checking that your proxy settings are set to automatic (or to the proxy you are using if you are) and that the host file is normal and not redirecting you?

Kunkkaaaaaaa!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

hey all I just recently installed avast and it's located some stuff on my pc but it seems unable to delete it. This is what comes up:

PID 64128 Threat: rookit hidden process and then when i choose (delete) it comes up saying error the system cannot find the file specified (2)
    PID 8 --- same shit
    PID64128
    PID 8

and so on for a while... any help would be much appreciated