Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Sic itur ad astra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Anyone familiar with Trend Micro Titanium? My dad's been using it on his new computer and says it uses a lot less memory.
    Anyone have anything good or bad to say about it? I can get a 3 PC copy for $15, so thinking of switching from kaspersky to titanium.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Ugh, CryptoLocker. Been running into it lately. Not fun to deal with when the user doesn't tell you they were infected for 2 weeks and were on your network.

http://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/com..._cryptolocker/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifwqLHYGsk#t=100

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/viru...re-information

http://watchguardsecuritycenter.com/...-cryptolocker/

You just got served THE CALLISTO SPECIAL
    SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

So I'm trying to clean up my g/f's parent's machine, I've run ComboFix/MalwareBytes, it seems like things are clean now, but it still won't let me install Avast, I can't tell if it's because something nasty is still on it or what. When I go to run the Avast executable it pops up for a brief moment then disappears, I've been running it as admin. Any advice on the next step I should take?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

SuperAntiSpyware compliments MalwareBytes pretty well. I would download and run that, then uninstall. Try the Avast install after that.

Better yet, don't use Avast. It's not a bad antivirus, but I still prefer MWB.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Microsoft Security Essentials is still the best free AV.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Thanks, I was less worried about getting it installed as much as the fact that it wasn't letting me do it. MSE is already on here, as long as I get all the junk off while we're here to hold over til the next time we make it out I'm good. Running SuperAntiSpyware now, the pc froze the first time I tried to run it but I also had the high boost on.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Okay yeah, machine keeps freezing when SAS is run, any thoughts?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Run it in safe mode.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Yeah I was in safe mode already; when I ran quick scan it worked fine, but if I ran a full scan it froze every time it hit the 12 minute mark.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

When it freezes is there any hard drive activity? Run checkdisk? Run hdtune and post the graph and health tab?

Also if you people aren't running Hitman Pro on every computer you touch by now I'm mad at you.

SASSAGE KING OF DA WORLD
    cheap hawks gay

BG Level

Never played one of the Hitman games before, I'll check it out

[spoiler][/granite]

Whatever was happening the quick scan appeared to get it, everything seems clean, adjusted all crap they had on startup, thing is running nice now.

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

I guess the random question thread was removed? Anyways, for a few months now my laptop has been randomly going into these huge high cpu spats with it loading something and essentially freezing the laptop for roughly five minutes. I just dealt with it for the most part, but now on occasions when it goes into these temper tantrums it gives me that blue screen crash where it does a physical dump.

Any idea what the fuck this is or how to get rid of it? Shit is pissing me off.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orinthia Warsong
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

If you're letting it do the actual dump, you can view it to see what caused the crash. It's not necessarily the root cause but it may help you find something acting up. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Check your programs for things you don't recognize, then check resource monitor for anything odd (high ram usage by a single program, high disk i/o, etc). Maybe check what's allowed to start on bootup (task manager -> startup tab, assuming you're on win8/8.1).

Shimmy shimmy ya shimmy yam shimmy ya
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by orinthia View Post
    If you're letting it do the actual dump, you can view it to see what caused the crash. It's not necessarily the root cause but it may help you find something acting up. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

Check your programs for things you don't recognize, then check resource monitor for anything odd (high ram usage by a single program, high disk i/o, etc). Maybe check what's allowed to start on bootup (task manager -> startup tab, assuming you're on win8/8.1).
    Thanks a lot! All the Toshiba garbage that came with the laptop was causing the issue. Got rid of all that crap and it's running smoothly now.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

@cephius very good post bro, i recently got infected with some kind of virus which starts running slider ads on every website i visit and what ever i do, it not goes away which is extremely annoying as well as my data was at risk. Thanks to you i cleaned it successfully

User was infracted for this post.

Banned.

BG Level

nope

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I would like to add some more points for the topic How to protect from the malwares.

User was infracted for this post.

Thanks for your information. But I haven't meet such problem. I am using windows defender.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Coren Cypher
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by vixen View Post
    Zone Alarm is very configurable though, and allows you to completely block network access on a program-by-program basis. ESET is very light and updated frequently.
    Day late, dollar short. Go away.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8