+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TummieGaruda View Post
    Now that most of you have seen it, do you think it was worth the 8 month wait?
    This movie has been sitting on the shelf since last November due to the fact that WB wanted to release it during the summer to get better box office numbers.
    Working at WB I can tell you it wasn't because of box office numbers. It has to do with yearly budget. Had they released it in Nov 2008, it would bave been included in statements for 2008's fiscal year. It was predicted (and proven aside from Hangover) that 2009 would be a financially slow year for WB, so HP6 was released now to balance our books a bit.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalass View Post
    Not only is the funeral/casket not present, but Dumbeldore's wand is clearly shown on his desk at the end.

How about the bigger fucking problem:
    Spoiler: show

How the fuck is Harry going to be able to keep count of the Horcruxes?
    He has no idea the cup exists, or what any of them are.
    He has no idea what the ring actually is.
    He has absolutely no way of finding Ravenclaw's tiara since he didn't hide the goddamn potions book himself

Attack on the Burrow was absolutely retarded. Let's put something fairly pivotal to the plot of the next book in this movie, and then cut out the fight at the end because it'd be too repetitive.

This movie was fucking garbage, they've been getting worse and worse but holy shit, I didn't think it could be this bad. I wouldn't willingly see it for free.
    Well, the wand being on his desk at least gets around having to open the casket to get it.. as for the other thing if they don't have Dumbledore explaining the significance those items then the entire plot unravels, because there would be no reason to why Harry survived a Killing Curse, or why the Sorting Hat wanted to put him into Slytherin.. and there wouldn't even be a reason for the prophecy to exist.

I don't know.. Rowling supposedly approves these movies before they are released and I don't know how she can because they're ruining the entire story. Ah well, I'm going to see it tonight so I guess I'll find out how bad it gets.

Who's driving? Oh my God Bear is driving! How can that be??
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Davricle View Post
    Working at WB I can tell you it wasn't because of box office numbers. It has to do with yearly budget. Had they released it in Nov 2008, it would bave been included in statements for 2008's fiscal year. It was predicted (and proven aside from Hangover) that 2009 would be a financially slow year for WB, so HP6 was released now to balance our books a bit.
    I guess chalk it up to rumor then because people were saying that they shelved it because Dark Knight had so much success that they withheld the movie to make more money off of it in the summer.

At any rate, the film has already made 58.4M in one day so far.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    Well, the wand being on his desk at least gets around having to open the casket to get it.. as for the other thing if they don't have Dumbledore explaining the significance those items then the entire plot unravels, because there would be no reason to why Harry survived a Killing Curse, or why the Sorting Hat wanted to put him into Slytherin.. and there wouldn't even be a reason for the prophecy to exist.

I don't know.. Rowling supposedly approves these movies before they are released and I don't know how she can because they're ruining the entire story. Ah well, I'm going to see it tonight so I guess I'll find out how bad it gets.
    I know she approved them at the beginning, and the first two were pretty good. I have a feeling somewhere along the lines she signed over the movie rights without having to write-off on it though. I can't imagine her approving from three onwords, I sure as hell don't.

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I can't imagine her approving from three onwords, I sure as hell don't.
    Yet, you keep seeing them?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Eticket View Post
    Yet, you keep seeing them?
    I see them for free (I sure as hell don't pay for it), and I kind of go in now with this hope-against-hope that they got back on track and did something right. Of course it's not going to actually happen, but I can keep on dreaming.

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

About the wand--

For a PG film it may be a little risque to go into digging up head wizard's graves and taking shit out of them, so they may have opted to just whisk around that.

I agree about Harry not knowing much about the horcruxes here being a problem in the next films. Although what you said about the potions book doesn't really matter because it's not like Ginny couldn't be like "oh, it's here".

Leaving out the entire Weasley family plotline was fucking dumb, I thought it was one of the must human and well-thought plot points of the book.

The thing that pissed me off the most though was what they changed abotu Draco's plot.

Voldemort was not going to kill HIM, he was going to kill HIS MOTHER. Narcissa made the Unbreakable Vow of her own accord, and in this movie they make it seem like Bellatrix tricked her into it. This plot change makes Draco seem selfish and Narcissa like a dumb bitch, when neither are supposed to be conveyed.

Some good points of the movie.

Ron was hilarious. He's a really good actor. Both Ron on the Love potion and Harry on Felix Felicis were hysterical. Luna is a great actress, Lavender did really well too. Slughorn too.

The Fred&George scene near the beginning was flawless. "5 galleons!" "I'm your brother!" "Ten galleons!"

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

they could always do flashbacks in DH to show dumbledore showing him the memories

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Did anyone felt the movie like several trailers? or like you fell asleep and wake up in a diferent topic?

The follow line of the movie was like big jumps in topics, i dunno i honestly didnt like it, no action, a lot of memories missed for example voldermort mother and grandfather all of those were crucial...

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Xajii View Post
    About the wand--

For a PG film it may be a little risque to go into digging up head wizard's graves and taking shit out of them, so they may have opted to just whisk around that.

I agree about Harry not knowing much about the horcruxes here being a problem in the next films. Although what you said about the potions book doesn't really matter because it's not like Ginny couldn't be like "oh, it's here".

Leaving out the entire Weasley family plotline was fucking dumb, I thought it was one of the must human and well-thought plot points of the book.

The thing that pissed me off the most though was what they changed abotu Draco's plot.

Voldemort was not going to kill HIM, he was going to kill HIS MOTHER. Narcissa made the Unbreakable Vow of her own accord, and in this movie they make it seem like Bellatrix tricked her into it. This plot change makes Draco seem selfish and Narcissa like a dumb bitch, when neither are supposed to be conveyed.

Some good points of the movie.

Ron was hilarious. He's a really good actor. Both Ron on the Love potion and Harry on Felix Felicis were hysterical. Luna is a great actress, Lavender did really well too. Slughorn too.

The Fred&George scene near the beginning was flawless. "5 galleons!" "I'm your brother!" "Ten galleons!"
    There's no reason these films should be PG rated to begin with, they're supposed to get darker as they go on, they're certainly not family or children films content-wise at this point.

As for Ginny and the potions book:
    There's no way she could simply be like "oh its right here" because Harry doesn't know he'll need to know where it is. In the books, he remembers hiding the potion book right next to a statue (I think it is?) and later on realizes that that statue has Ravenclaw's tiara. Since he didn't hide the book himself, he obviously won't remember that its next to a statue of Ravenclaw which just so happens to have a Horcrux on it. The next film(s) will probably just be increasingly more retarded.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zumi Kasumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Never been into Harry Potter at all, I saw the first and second movies on TV before. However I don't see whats so good about them, I seen a lot better movies. Can someone explain?

C A P S UNLEASH THE FURY
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alcarin View Post
    Did anyone felt the movie like several trailers? or like you fell asleep and wake up in a diferent topic?

The follow line of the movie was like big jumps in topics, i dunno i honestly didnt like it, no action, a lot of memories missed for example voldermort mother and grandfather all of those were crucial...
    Main problem was it didn't feel like the timespan of the film was a school-year, more like... a couple days... because they just jumped from one plot point to the other.

Casty

When I heard this movie was PG, I knew it wouldn't be able to be close to the book, but I still immensely enjoyed it.

All I'm saying is, DEATHLY HOLLOWS BETTER BE PG-13 OR HEADS WILL FLY.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Main problem was it didn't feel like the timespan of the film was a school-year, more like... a couple days... because they just jumped from one plot point to the other.
    I think you are right, past films they developed more the story in school classes, and stuff, well to bad i was like very excited about this movie and i think the wait sucks for this. I honestly hope the next movies are badass.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Having been a complete nerd and reading the sixth book the day it was released, there were a few things I had forgotten about that the movie left out. After re-reading, I have to say I am disappointed with this movie. I hope the split-movie will not let me down and stay true to what happens in the book.

The Wang
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Furt Wangler
    FFXIV Server
    Coeurl
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

It's been said a few times but just to chime in... I see no reasonable way to make these movies anything less than pg-13.. GOF and OOTP was PG-13, why not this? The last two better be because you can't properly portray those books without a lot of violence.

Secondly, I personally wouldnt mind watching 2 movies for each book even if each movie was like 2 hours long. I would've loved if the movies followed the books almost to a T. Leaving out some things is meh, I can see that to a point, but adding things like the burrow scene? totally retarded and unnesecary. They couldve
    thrown in dumbledores funeral
    instead of the burrow scene it seems and made the movie that much better. It could take just a few scenes at most to throw in alot of information that they left out, and make the movies/story flow that much better.

Edit: At this point, especially because of the reviews I'm going to wait till the end of the month to just go see it in IMAX, seeing as the visual effects and such seem to be the strongest point towards the movie atm.

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Rumors are that
    the funeral will open the next film.

Witty Custom Title
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eticket Pogona
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I saw it tonight so I wanted to respond to a few points.

Not only is the funeral/casket not present, but Dumbeldore's wand is clearly shown on his desk at the end.

How about the bigger fucking problem:

How the fuck is Harry going to be able to keep count of the Horcruxes?
    He has no idea the cup exists, or what any of them are.
    He has no idea what the ring actually is.
    He has absolutely no way of finding Ravenclaw's tiara since he didn't hide the goddamn potions book himself
    I mentioned the funeral note above.

As for the others...

He knows there are 7 of them from the memory.

I agree on this one actually, though it's easy to write around.

He knows the ring is one, he just doesn't know the history.

The tiara is an easy fix. In DH Ginny offers to help him look for the diadem, she could easily remember seeing the crown.

I think Bellatrix did that more to try to prove to Narcissa that Snape couldn't be trusted. She wasn't concerned about anything specific happening to Draco, she was just concerned that something would happen to him.

In the context of the film series it was a great movie. The problem is that people know what's coming in the last book and view the film from that perspective. That never really tends to enhance the film experience.

Broadbent and Felton both did a great job. I almost teared up a bit when...
    Slughorn was talking about the fish and Lily.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Okay.. well I came away from this one thinking they did a good enough job to make it better than Goblet & Order.. but I think they left out essential stuff and put unessential stuff in.
    I know why they cut the "politically sensitive" scenes involving Harry and the new Minister and I can understand it.. but the fight scene at The Burrow, which replaces the scene in the book where he & Percy visit, is pointless and really horribly done. They could have easily left out this whole scene in order to fit the actual fight to the astronomy tower, or to include scenes involving Dobby & Kreacher.

They also do nothing at all to show Riddle working at Borgin & Burkes or discovering the teacup. Sure Harry knows about the Horcuxes and how many there are supposed to be, but how would he ever find out about this one otherwise? I have a feeling there's going to be some added clues along the way in DH, probably worked into the items willed to the trio.

And I know it was kinda unessential, but it would've kicked ass if they actually had the Prime Minister scene in the movie and managed to get Tony Blair to do it. It'd add that much more authenticity to the whole thing. That was one of THE BEST scenes written into any of the books.

Ridill Ninja Lotter
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lol Drg
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Lightning's Blade

Quote Originally Posted by Zumi View Post
    Never been into Harry Potter at all, I saw the first and second movies on TV before. However I don't see whats so good about them, I seen a lot better movies. Can someone explain?
    Nobody with half a brain gives a flying fuck about the movies. The books on the otherhand while not that big of a literary achievement are fun to read, tell a great story, and sum up the experience of childhood-adolescence-adulthood very nicely.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast