Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What Are The Appropriate Gears When Subbing /Ranger

Was wondering what are the appropriate gears I need to obtain when planning to attend to an event as SAM/RNG. Also, was wondering what other jobs can sub ranger besides corsair and samurai and do I need to obtain different gear depending on the main job I am on?

If anyone has time to give me the list on what gear I need to obtain when subbing ranger would be appreciated and thank you who ever decides to reply.

EDIT: 2 weeks ago, I finish my thief group 2 assassins’ charge 5/5 and feint is 5/5. I did it this like this because I felt I was more appropriate in my eyes other thieves have been saying I’ am dumb for doing assassins’ charge 5/5. All I want some inputs if I need to re-adjust my group 2. However, I prefer my first question would be answer first.

Thank you everyone.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Drunknmunky View Post
    Was wondering what are the appropriate gears I need to obtain when planning to attend to an event as SAM/RNG. Also, was wondering what other jobs can sub ranger besides corsair and samurai and do I need to obtain different gear depending on the main job I am on?

If anyone has time to give me the list on what gear I need to obtain when subbing ranger would be appreciated and thank you who ever decides to reply.

EDIT: 2 weeks ago, I finish my thief group 2 assassins’ charge 5/5 and feint is 5/5. I did it this like this because I felt I was more appropriate in my eyes other thieves have been saying I’ am dumb for doing assassins’ charge 5/5. All I want some inputs if I need to re-adjust my group 2. However, I prefer my first question would be answer first.

Thank you everyone.

What event do you plan on coming SAM/RNG for? I really dont see a use for it in any situation anymore. SAM/THF would be better if you dont want to feed TP to the mob.

5/5 Fient 5/5 Assassins' charge isnt bad. I would think 1 Aura steal in place of a assassins' charge at least would be better but some thf's dont like aura steal

Yeah, in my opinion 5 Feint/4 Assassin's Charge/1 Aura Steal (you can get a little utilization out of this) is where its at.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

I have SAM too and I was wondering if there is even a point to leveling RNG to sub and getting gear for ranged attacks. The only thing I could think of is the last ACP fight if you couldn't find another ranged attacker? I have no idea really.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Sometimes if you use additional melee to climb say.. Bhaflau Remnants quicker, you might be able to hit additional ramparts. Then you could stay out of LBC's AoE for better mana efficiency..

That's one situation Sam/rng isn't too bad...

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Not to be an ass, but just lvl Ranger

SAM/RNG really lost its potential after the 2H patch, its ok (read: meh) in some situations, but unless you are just wanting to goof off with it for run, there's very little use for it.

Edit: On the Chariot stuff - you won't be landing many hits nor WS's sans sushi/ double prelude on mobs like that, meanwhile you are gimping your dmg for the rest of that run just to stay out of range on the boss >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Hogie View Post
    What event do you plan on coming SAM/RNG for?
    Shell we dance? ENM.

Unfortunately, Black mage is only level 44 so; the only option I have left was SAM/RNG. Because if you get close to them. They will hide under their shell for some long periods. Only our black mages benefit when they hide under their shell. (Lucky bastards) LOL

Well since most of you folks are saying SAM/RNG is useless then I guess I’ am screw. It seems is time for me to work on my black mage then.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

if you have a yoichi, sam/rng in city dynamis is murder for everything there. I did a sandy on monday and missed 6 sidewinders the entire time, otherwise it was 1k for most of them, 700-800 when I didnt have minuet. Standard Soboro setup, acc to hit then a full gear blink to fire a side then back at it.

but yeah, agreeing with the other posters, if you just have sam, use it, better for DD.
    Aura steal is win, feint is required, everything else is who cares, feint feint feint feint

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

SAM/RNG is nice for some missions (Ultima, Seed Crystal) and maybe Odin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa View Post
    if you have a yoichi, sam/rng in city dynamis is murder for everything there. I did a sandy on monday and missed 6 sidewinders the entire time, otherwise it was 1k for most of them, 700-800 when I didnt have minuet.
    Wouldn't you be better off using Namas with /WAR?

--

As far as THF cat2 goes, I went 5/5 Aura Steal, 5/5 Feint. 5/5 Feint is required and if you don't get it, You Are Stupid. I chose Aura over AC because I'd rather have 100% chance of absorbed dispel than a slightly more impressive screenshot.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Dan View Post
    SAM/RNG is nice for some missions (Ultima, Seed Crystal) and maybe Odin.

Wouldn't you be better off using Namas with /WAR?

--

As far as THF cat2 goes, I went 5/5 Aura Steal, 5/5 Feint. 5/5 Feint is required and if you don't get it, You Are Stupid. I chose Aura over AC because I'd rather have 100% chance of absorbed dispel than a slightly more impressive screenshot.
    maybe in sando but i really feel namas /war loses some of its potential in dyna unless you have access to high buff party, and even then, really no matter whaqt, not much can compare to how sidewinder works, and im kinda throwin this in there, but im still trying to proc a sam/rng barrage lol!

Flowery Twats
    BG Level

I'd think Aura Steal more if you only care for Thf for events (read: Th/Feint), and AC if you want to take it more seriously as a DD. Don't forget that SA/TA garantees 100% acc on a Double/Triple proc.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

City zones Namas will top 1100+ with 1 buffer, 1300+ with 2 (have seen 1700's from sweet spot with a nice Cor roll). It's pretty damn close to YGK in terms of SAM potential.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by noodles355 View Post
    I'd think Aura Steal more if you only care for Thf for events (read: Th/Feint), and AC if you want to take it more seriously as a DD. Don't forget that SA/TA garantees 100% acc on a Double/Triple proc.
    Aura Steal crushes AC for soloing. Furthermore, if you are meriting on birds/wivres (and why would THF merit anywhere else?), stealing 'zerk from wivres easily beats one forced 3A.

Flowery Twats
    BG Level

Hmmm, I never really thought about stealing zerk from wivres. Is it really that much better whilst solo? Unless you're fighting something with an annoying effect like Ice Spikes, I can't think of it being that serious.

AC in any way is just a toy. But it's a fun toy.

Fuck Aura steal. God damned theives stealing Blaze Spikes from Qiqirn Astrologers instead of SJ cell..

Q.Q.

Strider/Doom/Cyclops
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Viper Beam
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Items are prioritized over buffs. If you stole Blaze Spikes, without Aura Steal you would have just failed the Steal attempt.

As for soloing, any THF that doesn't have at least 1 point in AS (if only for Dispel) is an outright loon. I personally like it for soloing because many mobs have some buff you can take advantage of, not to mention the fact that if there are ever any elementals nearby, you can Steal->Hide for free enspell.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drace View Post
    City zones Namas will top 1100+ with 1 buffer, 1300+ with 2 (have seen 1700's from sweet spot with a nice Cor roll). It's pretty damn close to YGK in terms of SAM potential.
    Ill try that out next run, I was quite happy with just spamming 1k sides constantly

the other advantage I guess was the attack food I could use and still maintain very high accuracy (ranger adds a TON of accuracy when you use it as a main or sub) maybe war will be better Im just so used to being a ranger constantly now (barrage is very nice, even as a sub with sam) soboro is broken, thats all I can say

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

From all Drace's reports and other Yoichi owners, accuracy on Namas won't be an issue and you can cap easily using meat on higher level targets (you also won't ever pull hate and be able to full time hasso which is impossible in dyna otherwise). This will be even further enhanced by the WSacc augment on the new expansion helms.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

Yea I have yet to parse below 94% Namas accuracy on any event, you will definitely be able to full time Meat on SAM with it. I'm itching to try a triple proc barrage on SAM with it, but with the proc rate being so low (3%ish) and the time it takes to actually fire off a ranged shot when you could have nearly 100TP from Soboro swings lessens the impact of /RNG even more imo

It might be pretty fun in a zerg fight where you can knock out a Namas as your first WS for the RACC boost then spam Sidewinder w/ 2 hour + wing, but unless it was a mob like KV where you just show up and zerg, I would have a hard time justifying /RNG for the event >_<

Edit: Try it /DRG next city run Sonomaa (kidnap at least 1 BRD for your pty too), you will probably never use another job combo again :0

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

yea im pretty sure somewhere someone posted some parse results of sam/war spamming namas arrow and out parsing amano sams by a huge %

for thief i did 5/5 feint (evry thief should, feint pwns) 1/5 assassins charge, 3/5 ambush and 1/5 aura steal

ill probly drop the assassins charge for another ambush, 12 acc from 4/5 ambush isnt a ton, but im always behind the mob anyway (unless it can flail) but thief doesnt have A+ skill in dagger, and more ACC never hurts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast