Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

I needed info about Magic Defense Bonus and -Magic Damage Taken

Hello Everyone on BG.

I read everywhere including wiki and I could not find an answer to my question. I kept getting mixed answers.

I wanted to know the Equipment cap in MDB and -MDT and the overall cap in MDB and -MDT.

I was building a fire resist set for serameya but found out I only needed about 260 fire resist gear and that anymore then that will do nothing. (or so I read.)

So I can reach the fire cap without Fire carol and I can reach the cap without having to lose TP switching between my weapon and a water staff during chainspells.
    So I wanted to replace cerberus mantle with lamia mantle and Hanzo tekko with denali hands since I had more then enough fire resist already according to lots of people I asked and according to kanican's live journal.

I believe Magus' Roll is MDB and can go up to 33% with bonus and an 11 dice roll.
    The WHM has capped shellra V merit 5/5, and capped barspell merit.

I have 332 fire resist with fire carol and a standard barfira (tested that barfira on a rdm/whm though, not sure if WHM mains is higher), and with fire resist gear.

The short summary....

Question 1. I wanted to know the Equipment cap in MDB and -MDT and the overall cap in MDB and -MDT.

Question 2. Was wondering what fire resist gear I should simply take out if any for MDB, and use the fire carol, or should I get 2 melee songs and keep the fire gear on.

My Fire resist gear is pretty NQ as I was told I didn't need to be in the 300's anyway vs Serameya.

Weapon: Water Staff

Ammo: Phantom tathlum. (I have no idea if INT even plays a role, but my job has no access to any ammo anyways, its a mnk. unless I missed something) Should I even equip this crap?

Head: Black Ribbon.

Neck: Jeweled Collar.

Earrings: Ruby earrings.

Rings: Malflame ring, Ruby ring.

body: Scorpion Breastplate.

Hands: Hanzo tekko. (also have denali hands. not sure which one to use)

Back: Cerberus Mantle (And Lamia mantle)

Belt: Water belt. (black belt too of course, just talking about fire resist)

Feet: Suzaku-Sune-ati.

Should I mix and match or keep on as much fire resist as possible. Will magus' roll be good for this fight or would it be capped if we were using an aegis pld.
    (Although Magus roll might be MDB, I have to check later.)

Thanks. I'm a noob ;;
    Would appreciate if anyone replied and helped a noob like me out.
    P.S. I do not plan on tanking this. We have PLDs and SAM/wars, I just wanted to speed up the fight with DoT a little bit.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Just wanted to know what the cap was in fire resist for serameya, the hard cap in -MDT, and the hard cap in MDB is any.

I am trying to have His spells completely hit me for 0 dmg including Gates of hades.

I have 332 fire resist. I have shellra V 5/5, Barspell merit 5/5. Magus' Roll with blu bonus = 33% MDB. Phanlanx II is also 5/5 from a mage.

I'm not a RDM/nin and Im not even a PLD lol. I'm a lvl75 MNK.
    I can't gear up properly If I do not know the Hard cap in any of these traits.
    The question I was asking was what is the hard cap.
    If the hard cap is 250 fire resist, then I am wasting gear slots that I can be using for something else instead of more fire resist (which I have 332 of.) Or I can be getting a different bard song instead of fire carol.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

I am 98% certain that -MDT caps at 50%.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I don't believe MDB caps. If it does, the cap is incredibly high.

Rocl is correct in stating that -MDT is 50%

As Mnk, you're probably better off just using resist on Sarameya, iirc it takes relatively low resist to get a good resist rate on him.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

thanks.

I also have Regen III and Scorpion Breastplate as well as dancers roll from the corsair to help with the en-poison melee attacks he does should I accidentally pull hate.
    Then his magic iteself shouldn't hurt me too much that a chakra can't heal.
    I just wanna stay in white HP the entire fight and do mnk DoT like mnk does.
    I want to switch out usukane head for AF2 head though lol. I figure less haste on that slot plus -enmity will ensure I don't pull hate.
    I figure 3 shadows should be enough to maybe not get hit with that poison he has since i'm not the tank anyway.

Yea I figure MDB didn't cap but I wanted a confirmation from BG people since wiki had mixed answers. Thanks for replying.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Lightbringer

I'm honestly curious, where has it ever been posted in recent months (years?) that MDT was ever capped at something other than -50%?

Why the fuck are you using resists on Sarameya.

Bard rotation, 2-3 melee parties, 1 minute fights.

Why are you bothering with tanking?

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

If you choose to low man Sara you cannot melee burn it.

To answer the OP's question, if you have ~250 fire resist + phalanx2 I promise you'll take 0s from just about everything. You do not need full 330 resist sets to max out like on Tiamat. Sarameya has a much lower threshold to resist.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

What is a good strategy to low man Sarameya, I remember hearing you managed to 6man it Kaeko, but wasn't sure what you did, I'd be shooting for more like a 12 person strategy.

In regards to bard rotation, If you wanted to do multiple sarameya runs in a row what would you do then? I'm assuming you are using 2hrs on him, if not then is he really that weak that you can TP burn him with SAMs/WARs/RNGs ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lekotas View Post
    What is a good strategy to low man Sarameya, I remember hearing you managed to 6man it Kaeko, but wasn't sure what you did, I'd be shooting for more like a 12 person strategy.

In regards to bard rotation, If you wanted to do multiple sarameya runs in a row what would you do then? I'm assuming you are using 2hrs on him, if not then is he really that weak that you can TP burn him with SAMs/WARs/RNGs ?
    You dont even need 2 hours.

And Im fairly certain you could use the same strat with 12 or so people.

Just have 3 merit parties and rotate bards before you pop to give all the songs you need, pop and everyone go all out (dont need 2 hours). Dead in ~45 seconds.

A little more dangerous with 12, but probably still doable.

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Lekotas View Post

Here's a whole post on it

Kanican - 6 Man Sarameya

If you can field near full alliance, I highly recommend you do a gank strategy with melees. The thing about ganking a mob that has pre-programmed AI at HP%s is that if you go fast enough, the AI will prevent the mob from using its strongest attacks quickly (like Baha2 or the old AV gank). Just use simple gank tactics (brds, cor for buffs, storing tp etc) - I don't even think 2hrs are necessary. Sara is squishy and only has 50,000HP.

What would likely happen is you would get it to 90%, trigger chainspell, and Sara would die before the CS ended. The most dangerous thing it can do at this point is Firaga3, which is weak - then even weaker due to the fact you'll have a ton of targets being hit (10+ targets = 40% of base damage).

Worst case you wipe, but you can easily hold it as it's a pop NM.

New Merits
    BG Level

@Kaeko

I know this is probably a stupid question, but do you think having the SAM in your setup /DNC may help or would the damage loss from /WAR not be made up by a COR/WHM shooting and a PLD/RDM spamming Atonement?

I've read your post before, and was considering:

WHM/SCH
    RDM/WHM
    COR/WHM
    BRD/WHM
    SAM/???
    PLD/RDM

I was just worried about the healing maybe getting to be too much without the extra healing from the SCH in your run. I know there's evokers and dancer's roll to help save mp, but would they be able to cover the loss of a job as good at healing as SCH? I suppose the WHM updates may negate this though with the SS cures and such?

Forgive my ignorance but...

What do you mean by ganking? I know in WoW it refers to high lv players PK lowbies, so how does that apply hear? Ganking Strat?

You mean purposely losing claim or ?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Orson Dara
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Alexander

I know you're asking Kaeko but honestly you'll want as much damage as possible from the Sam to kill it before raging so I can't see /Dnc being worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by Malacite View Post
    Forgive my ignorance but...

What do you mean by ganking? I know in WoW it refers to high lv players PK lowbies, so how does that apply hear? Ganking Strat?

You mean purposely losing claim or ?
    Not sure exactly when it started to be referred to as ganking but essentially it's like Kaeko described some HNMs lock up if you force them through AI routines quickly with damage. Maybe because you're essentially zerging it so fast it doesn't he have a chance to fight back just like a newb?

New Merits
    BG Level

Well, his setup had a SAM, relic, that was partnered with a PLD/DRK without atonement as the only damage. Was just curious if Atonement and some occasional Slugs landing, not to mention the -13% DEF from box step, could make up for the at least halving of the SAMs WS rate.

I guess we'll stik with the /WAR though.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Under no circumstances should sams ever be subbing /dnc for things like sarameya, stick with /war and provided everyone is decently geared and doesn't suck you should be able to do it with that setup. If you are going to DD it on cor remember you will hit hate cap and pulling sarameya around could cause untimely ululation or GoH to cause issues.

With 12 you can gank sarameya fairly easily without the use of 2hrs, it requires 6 well geared DDs and bard rdm whm or bard cor whm/rdm on backline. Only real danger is slow dispels drawing the fight out and running out of mp, he can however easily be tanked by a sam or war using rabbit pie (doesn't need it but helps considerably) and allow mages to get some mp up before pushing its hp down further.

Edit: the ganking refers to pushing sarameya past each % it chainspells at before it has finished its current chainspell, however it really isn't necessary because even without a resist set his spells are incredibly weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Leroy View Post
    @Kaeko

I know this is probably a stupid question, but do you think having the SAM in your setup /DNC may help or would the damage loss from /WAR not be made up by a COR/WHM shooting and a PLD/RDM spamming Atonement?

I've read your post before, and was considering:

WHM/SCH
    RDM/WHM
    COR/WHM
    BRD/WHM
    SAM/???
    PLD/RDM
    I would highly recommend PLD/DRK instead of PLD/RDM for this fight. A lot of PLD/RDM's hate spells are 2-4 second casts, and given Sarameya's fast attacks, it can be hard to get them off between swings. PLD/DRK is perfect because flash and stun are both near instantaneous so they're easy to weave in between attacks; and you can throw in other (longer cast time) spells for kicks during his "roar" cycle or while he casts spells to keep hate solid. /DRK is also nice because stun is a nice chunk of VE, so it works well for regaining Sarameya's attention after roar cycle if flash happens to be down.

I got the majority of advice for my group's low man Sarameya attempts from Kaeko, so I'll let him field all other questions.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Titan

YouTube - Karasu vs Sarameya

TP burn sarameya with no 2 hours. Hes really that squishy. I'm sure other shells have done it faster or better, but this is the one we recorded. We just do this and blast through 5-6 in a setting in less than hour and do something else.

Kaeko
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

@ SAM/DNC, I wouldn't recommend this. Using TP for cures just lessens your DD capabilities.

As far as unique setups you mention, just realize that Sara is EXTREMELY MP intensive as far as cures go because you are blood tanking. I highly recommend PLD/DRK as stated earlier for the extra stun. You need very strong healing and MP refresh in any setup that use blood tanking so COR+BRD+RDM is a good idea. Your setup with backline cor brd rdm whm seems very strong. The WHM stoneskin effect added should help you quite a bit now actually since you're taking constant damage from poison and melee.

@ Ganking, I just started referring to melee zergs that involve AI overloading or glitching as "ganks" from my old Dynamis LS. We called quickly killing NIN mobs in dynamis with bursts of WSs 'ganks' so I started using the term from there. I don't know where it actually comes from.

The video of Karasu is a good example. You can see Sara constantly trying to pull off what the AI is forcing it to do but the 'lag' between moves is slowing it down. 12 man gank may be pushing it unless you're a very experienced group though.

Also I love Chrono Cross music =P