+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

What all is required when youo want to open up a restaurant?

Curious if any of you BG'ers own a restaurant or know anything about opening one up. I've been interested in opening a restaurant for several years. I am not sure as to what direction I wanna go with it (food wise). I want to open up something fun, appealing to both kids and adults. I don't want it to be a type of fast food place either. How would you recommend I start? Any ideas as to what it takes?

Also I know "money" is part of what it takes.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

Food

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Some food hygiene certificate or food safety, etc, you need inspectors for that

And if a chinese restaurant, legal workers.

then you need to come up with some sort of menu which will appeal to be people

in short, don't do it (in my opinion)

Location, Location, Location.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

A lot more passion than "I think I wanna do something or other to do with food and a place where you eat it."

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

as you stated looking around to spend tons of K to get it started.

My only suggestion would be to open a franchise, if you're not a super amazing omgIknowawesomerecipesknowoneknows kinda cook. Only because a lot is already preset for you.

OR buy a business and continue it on (more risky because usually business get sold nowadays because it wasn't making enough money in the first place).

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Reznuh
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

open a bar and don't hook your friends up w/free shit

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Well I live in Texas. The town I currently live in has shit for venues. I've been considering a place with a stage for bands to play shows. I've been considering either BBQ or a place that serves a little bit of everything. Pasta/Pizza/Burgers/Steaks/Vegetarian Food type of place to appeal to everyone rather than just conveying one specific type of "food." For instance a family place during the week but maybe Friday or Saturday having bands play to get some of our kids to go listen to music, grab a bite to eat, and have fun in general. As for location they are revitalizing our downtown area at the moment. Bringing in pubs and a few restaurants. It seems like it might make a good move due to imo the look of the older buildings downtown. Taxes aren't too high on these buildings as they are wanting to get people to move in. Just a thought. Been talking about it with my fiancee and she keeps telling me to go for it. My parent's think its a wonderful idea. I recently sent out a survey to our local high schools and asked for their opinions. I had a lot of positive responses as to serving a little bit of everything with live music.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Electro View Post
    I've been considering a place with a stage for bands to play shows.
    Be very careful about asking neighboring businesses about this, and make sure you're appropriately zoned, etc. If I had a nickel for everybody I've known who wanted to do this but failed because of the neighbors, neighborhood, cops, etc, I'd have a shitload of nickels.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

If you wanna go to a gig, go to a gig.

My own personal opinion is if I go out to eat with a friend, I generally want to hear my friend, not some crappy local band who happen to be playing while I'm eating my food.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Most if not all restaurants take several years of operation while running in the red before they start turning a profit. You'll need the financial capital to get started, and a backup plan in case things don't work out and you have to fold the business. Once you have those things... then maybe you can start thinking about what/where/when.

Hyperion Cross
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kai Bond
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Blabj View Post
    If you wanna go to a gig, go to a gig.

My own personal opinion is if I go out to eat with a friend, I generally want to hear my friend, not some crappy local band who happen to be playing while I'm eating my food.
    Agreed.

Where's Daydreamer? He was looking into this about a year ago. Was determined to get into the culinary businesses and then dropped off the face of the planet (aka BG).

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

this is going to sound retarded but...are you a good cook?

As Cephius said most places start in the red for a long time, and most people who start a restaurant do their own cooking with extra cooks on the side.

A lot of my students that I tutor after school are there not because they need a tutor per se, but because their parents own a business and no one is at home when they get out of school.

Be prepared to be at the place pretty much every hour it's open until you because a success 5-10 years from now where you can trust/afford a cook to take over. And kiss vacations goodbye for awhile.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    Most if not all restaurants take several years of operation while running in the red before they start turning a profit. You'll need the financial capital to get started, and a backup plan in case things don't work out and you have to fold the business. Once you have those things... then maybe you can start thinking about what/where/when.
    Money is not an issue trust me on that. The only real issue is deciding what/where/when and the "do I really want to do this."

Didn't read the whole thread...what sort of food are you looking to serve?

edit: nvm, read it....

I wouldn't make your menu too broad. Stick to one thing you're good at instead of trying to appeal to everyone.

Isn't Texas market over-saturated with bbq?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The town I am from we have 1 BBQ place and tbh I think it sucks. My dad has gone to cook offs all over Texas. His ribs/brisket/chicken have placed 1st in the state on a few occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by Electro View Post
    The town I am from we have 1 BBQ place and tbh I think it sucks. My dad has gone to cook offs all over Texas. His ribs/brisket/chicken have placed 1st in the state on a few occasions.
    Then there you go. Stick to BBQ.

Honestly tho, if you're going to do a live music thing on Friday/Saturday night, I would recommend you stick to blues bands/honky tonk bands.

The key to gaining customers and keeping them is consistency. You change stuff, people get cranky and leave.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

playing blues music at a bbq place in the south always wins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast