• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 232 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast
    Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

I'm still trying to wrap my head around any justification for ND being in the top 25. Even the usual "good 'ol ND Boost" doesn't even justify that. They clearly did not watch the Syracuse game lol.

I hit the spoiler first looking for how many votes ND got for shits and giggles...then I didn't see them until I looked up lol.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Mizango View Post
    I mean even Houston, Troy and Nevada got votes. Nevada was only good back in the day when they had Alex Van Dyke, other than that how the hell man?

So much haterade.
    It's ok Miz, we'll beat the shit outta Nevada for ya.

Spoiler: show
    please, please God let us blow out Nevada

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

I was actually wondering why ND was that low. The poll is reflective of how good they think the teams are now, not how good they were.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Tyche you can't be serious...

While I'm fully confident ND is going to be better than last season (famous last words), I still don't see how anyone can really think we are top 25 caliber at this time. I could see use in the "Receiving Votes" area, but that's about it.

Hawaii Bowl and offseason workouts isn't enough to convince me we belong in the top 25 at all.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Diamicles View Post
    Also, Mizzou not ranked? I know they lost a couple of good players, but I think they are discounting the good players they brought in and / or have left.
    Kansas and Texas Tech are also on the outside looking in, which surprises me. Where's the love for the superconference?

Also, Big East, wru?

Two votes for Navy! Should make my dad happy, although beating ND two years ago was pretty much his national championship.

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Stiker View Post
    It's ok Miz, we'll beat the shit outta Nevada for ya.

Spoiler: show
    please, please God let us blow out Nevada

Yes plz.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by Stiker View Post
    Tyche you can't be serious...

While I'm fully confident ND is going to be better than last season (famous last words), I still don't see how anyone can really think we are top 25 caliber at this time. I could see use in the "Receiving Votes" area, but that's about it.

Hawaii Bowl and offseason workouts isn't enough to convince me we belong in the top 25 at all.
    You return a damn fine QB and almost your entire O-line. I think Turk is your only loss. Other than that, you only lost 1 other offensive starter. I think you're being intentionally evasive so you can say that they overachieved. The team is good.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    What I think the top 10 *will* be in the "official" polls in the next few weeks:

1. Florida
    2. Texas
    3. OU
    4. USC
    5. Va Tech
    6. Bama
    7. Ohio State (6&7 may be switched)
    8. Penn State
    9. Oklahoma State
    10. Ole Miss

1. Florida (53) - 13-1 - 1,466 - 1
    2. Texas (4) - 12-1 - 1,386 - 3
    3. Oklahoma (1) - 12-2 - 1,358 - 5
    4. Southern California (1) - 12-1 - 1,321 - 2
    5. Alabama - 12-2 - 1,134 - 6
    6. Ohio State - 10-3 - 1,126 - 11
    7. Virginia Tech - 10-4 - 1,020 - 14
    8. Penn State - 11-2 - 988 - 8
    9. LSU - 8-5 - 917 - NR
    10. Mississippi - 9-4 - 889 - 15
    Fuck, missed a couple. We'll see what espn and AP have to say tho.

As far as Notre Dame, say what you will about the offseason progress, they're a 7-6 team thrown in where 2/24 others were below 9 losses, and they both had significantly more actual changes, not just "growing up," than ND.

You can come up and tell me ND is gonna be decent this year, you try to compare pretty boy 2 to Reesing and we're boxin!

Tyven's Xbax Fren
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Korgath

You can come up and tell me ND is gonna be decent this year, you try to compare pretty boy 2 to Reesing and we're boxin!
    ND very well could have a decent year...and have 6 wins against teams that won't finish in the top 75.

Reesing is a baller, I'll give you that.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Diamicles View Post
    Reesing is a baller
    I'll take it. Quoted for future emphasis.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    You return a damn fine QB and almost your entire O-line. I think Turk is your only loss. Other than that, you only lost 1 other offensive starter. I think you're being intentionally evasive so you can say that they overachieved. The team is good.
    I'm really not trying to be evasive in the least. I do very much believe ND has a lot of potential this year. The young O-Line is now an experienced one, Jimmy is going into his junior year (which was the same time Quinn exploded), 2 dangerous WR in Floyd and Tate, and a decent RB in Allen with some possibility of Wood making an impact.

That being said though, there are still things that REALLY worry me. Mostly with Clausen to be honest. He has a cannon, but his touch on the 10-15 routes leaves something to be desired. He doesn't always make the best reads either. However, during the Hawaii bowl he looked like a completely different QB and was making those passes (and much better reads as well). Real question is which QB will show up this season.

Defense is still a slight worry. With our new philosophy, aka the Jim Johnson method, sell out and blitz, I want to see our sack numbers go way up. Otherwise, I think we will struggle against the better teams we play. The opposing QB needs to feel like he is in danger of being hit every drop-back. Last year, timing was off on many blitzes and they got picked up or never arrived on time far too often.

I'm just one of those fans that likes to see an actual game to gauge just how good we are. Believe me, I want to be proven wrong on this and be told that I was worrying too much. I am very happy we are in the top 25 as that can help us a ton if we do indeed start winning as head starts are always welcome in the polls.

Once the Nevada game happens, I'll have a better handle on things.

Ridill
    BG Level

lol I was gonna say "at least we've got that super tough nevada game to judge by," and then you added that last line ;p

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

lol I was gonna say "at least we've got that super tough nevada game to judge by," and then you added that last line ;p
    lol

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Hey they got a handful of votes right? lol

In all seriousness though, it will help me gauge some things about the team.

For instance, can the defense get consistent pressure on the QB against the pistol offense? Can they recognize the play fakes/options or do they consistently sell out during the play?

Which QB is going to show up? The one that lit up Hawaii or the one that managed to throw INTs consistently to wonderful defenses like Syracuse?

Can the O-Line throw their weight around and actually be dominate for once? Do we actually have a running game?

Shit like that. Nevada won't be a tell-all for sure. Michigan or Michigan State might give the complete picture, but for sure I think we'll see what ND is made up of when they go up against USC (unless they just fail this year).

Ridill
    BG Level

It'll be interesting to see if ND can get to Kpumperknickel (if they can't they'll get 30 points scored on em), but Nevada's defense is baaaad. Like, Iowa State level badness.

And I watched college football live today... and the only thing I learned was that Illinois now does team yoga.

Inc Rose Bowl fo sho.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

didnt read the whole thread, dont care, but can we once and for all just burn down Ohio State, best they can hope for is to get their asses handed to them by another SEC team

yes im a UofM fan
    yes i know, lolUofM
    but to that end, Rodriguez can go and burn in said Ohio State fire
    id rather Michigan State win the Big10 than Ohio State

Cake Mix

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

lolBig10.

Now that it's out of the way, I agree about Nevada's 'defense'. Honestly, I think they play Prevent Defense all season. Actually, I think they try to play offense while on defense. It's pretty crazy just how terrible their defense is. The game with ND will be used to gauge ND's defense moreso than their offense. I honstly believe a Division 2 school could put 30 up on them easily.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Surealistic View Post
    didnt read the whole thread, dont care, but can we once and for all just burn down Ohio State, best they can hope for is to get their asses handed to them by another SEC team

yes im a UofM fan
    yes i know, lolUofM
    but to that end, Rodriguez can go and burn in said Ohio State fire
    id rather Michigan State win the Big10 than Ohio State
    Cool story bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiyama View Post
    Now that it's out of the way, I agree about Nevada's 'defense'. Honestly, I think they play Prevent Defense all season. Actually, I think they try to play offense while on defense. It's pretty crazy just how terrible their defense is. The game with ND will be used to gauge ND's defense moreso than their offense. I honstly believe a Division 2 school could put 30 up on them easily.
    Yeah the only judgment I'll get from the offense is if Clausen has his head on straight and if the O-line can be dominate in a situation where they clearly *should* be. There were several games last year when the O-line and running game just looked pathetic against teams they should literally be running all over.

THIS IS BREGOR'S STORY
    Beard +1

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

So is there gonna be a Pick'em group this year? I'm seriously getting impatient for the season to start, I hope to satiate myself by changing my picks every couple hours. :D

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Bregor View Post
    So is there gonna be a Pick'em group this year? I'm seriously getting impatient for the season to start, I hope to satiate myself by changing my picks every couple hours. :D
    As soon as ESPN has them up on its page, I will start the Pro, College and Eliminator pick em games. I've been keeping an eye out, but there's nothing up yet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 232 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast