FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Okay... upgrading video card! Need help/opinions

Hey all,

I made a topic not long ago about getting the most out of my CPU, and found that I really can't get that much better unless I wanted to pay through the nose, and even then not worth it too much. Since then, I've decided to upgrade my video card. It's a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX. It's a great card, but I'm really starting to feel a strain with a lot of the newer games. I'm looking at the GeForce 275 Line right now on Newegg.

I'm not that fond of ATI, and have had a couple of unpleasant experiences with them, so I'm sticking with what I like.

Below are a couple of links. The first one is user ratings from best to worst.

Newegg.com - gtx 275

Looking at the top result, the EVGA card has received the best ratings. I'm leaning towards this one because of the "sale" and rebate. Right below that is another of the same, but the "Superclocked" edition which the link is Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1171-AR GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I'm thinking this is the better of the two for 5 dollars extra?

I was a little concerned about the power supply, but relieved after seeing it requires 550 minimum. I have a N1000 P-00 power supply, which should be able to handle everything no problem.

Also I was worried a bit about the size of this thing, but I don't think it's all that much bigger than the 8800GTX. It takes up about 2 slots, and that's currently what is being used, so no worries there.

Please offer some input if you can as to which is the best deal. The one I am linking directly (the 275 OC) is my choice at the moment. Looking to order today/tomorrow so I can get it this week while off from work.

Thanks for any input :D

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Well personally I've had more problems with Nvidia cards then ATI, especially with FFXI. But yeah that card seems like a good buy. Prices on video cards are dropping at alarming rates recently, and I dont see the need to get something better then a HD 4870 for most games nowadays.

Art Connesseur of Blue Gartr
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Ah, well I don't ffxi anymore, so that whole problem doesn't concern me anymore. :D

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

The best guideline I've seen for choosing a video card is to get the best single-GPU card available at that moment. Right now that would be the GTX285, or if you absolutely prefer ATI cards the 4890.

A 550W power supply should be just fine.. Unless your machine has more than one video card, or you've got a whole bunch of SSDs hooked up, or maybe if you're running a watercooling setup, you won't need more than that.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

You might want to wait for DX11 cards that are coming fairly soon.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

If anything, the older cards will drop in price if you didn't want to spend for top of the line when they do come out

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kurp View Post
    You might want to wait for DX11 cards that are coming fairly soon.
    Honestly, I don't want to spend 600+ dollars on a GPU. As stated somewhere in another thread, not many games took advantage of DX10, and I don't see many cards using DX11. Even if they do, I'm sure there won't be THAT much of a difference.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zeb Adiah
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Make sure your power supply has 2 6 pin connectors, or you may need to buy a 2x4 pin to 6 pin connector.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Make sure your power supply has 2 6 pin connectors, or you may need to buy a 2x4 pin to 6 pin connector.
    Yeah, I have the 2 6 pin connectors, I should be ready to go. Think I'm gonna go with the 275 OC.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

4890 is awesome.

wotg torrent kitty :3
    BG Level

if you're looking in the 4890 direction, get the sapphire vapor-x edition. the gpu oc might not be impressive but the fan alone is worth it over any other brand with the standard fan.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I have the Sapphire, just the normal version as I got it the day it came out (260$), the price has come down a lot I've seen it as low as 200$ on newegg. Definitely worth it, OC is a so easy, yet so unneeded. I have run every game at highest settings so far that I have played with amazing fps.

Aion Online maxed out runs at a steady 80fps, upwards to 230 if I am all by my lonesome.

Edit: Damn, haven't checked in a while but it's only 195$ shipped now for my card. I think I'll pick up a 2nd.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I ended up going with the EVGA GeForce 285. I just installed it today, and holy shit! What a freakin difference. Everything runs on max settings now without stuttering, and things look amazing. After the rebate, and selling my old card, it'll probably end up costing me 150. Crysis stuttered a little with my old 8800 GTX, this thing runs Ultra with no problems at all. The Resident Evil 5 Benchmark had me at almost 63 FPS constantly. Very pleased!

I too am not a fan of ATI. My current computer has an ATI and I'm sorta nervous about it. Because all the PC's I've had in the past have been Nvidia. I've found that nvidia cards have been very reliable and good in general. But then again I'm biased towards nvidia. I'm sure people have good things to say about ATI but I very little experience with their products.

Also sorta related to OP. Does anyone think that having dual cards is actually beneficial? I have never had a dual card setup. I was just curious if it was worth the extra cost. I understand that it could improve frame rates but other than that is it worth it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Odess E'iron
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Honestly, I can't see THAT much of an improvement from what I have now. You'd probably need to get a bigger fan as well. My machine doesn't get hot, but with 2 cards that each take up 2 slots, I'm sure as hell it would. In my eyes, it's not really worth it, spending 600+ for slight improvement. I guess if you're a perfectionist, or a huge tech geek, then maybe?

Yea that was my feeling paying 600 dollars for video card or cards. Seems like way too much.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Odesseiron View Post
    Honestly, I don't want to spend 600+ dollars on a GPU. As stated somewhere in another thread, not many games took advantage of DX10, and I don't see many cards using DX11. Even if they do, I'm sure there won't be THAT much of a difference.
    Even if you don't want a DX11 card, when they come out, DX10 cards will plummet in price. Wait until the fall.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by thomassmith View Post
    Also sorta related to OP. Does anyone think that having dual cards is actually beneficial? I have never had a dual card setup. I was just curious if it was worth the extra cost. I understand that it could improve frame rates but other than that is it worth it.
    A dual card setup (or even a dual-GPU card) is really only necessary for doing really intense mathematical stuff like folding@home, or if you need the extra monitor outputs.