Closed Thread
    Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

DK Unholy dps spec 3.2 (0/17/54 vs. 3/13/55)

0/17/54
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...00000320053002 02000000000000000000230030305003215000314021313305 1&glyph=082717000000&version=10192

3/13/55
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...&version=10170

I've read the EJ thread on this, and they deem the 0/17/54 build to be the new cookie cutter UH build, but 3/13/55 seems good too...
    Are any high end DK browsing this forum and have input on which is the better spec to go with?

or

sack all this and go DW Frost/Unholy? I love unholy though

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

Yeah that's pretty dumb. Longer reach on IT just means frost fever will be ticking down that much longer until you get blood plague up, which is a bad thing; you want them both about even on timers. Take out the two points in icy reach and toss at least 1 into subversion in the blood tree.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

friends first impression, we are a top 100us guild.

Some shit's changing. Well, a lot of shit's changing.
    Anyway, posting random thoughts here as they come up. Maybe someone else will post too. That'd be neat. ^_^

New Unholy spec (0/17/54)
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
    Glyphs: Of The Ghoul, Dark Death, and Oblit

According to sim runs on EJ, this beats the old 0/10/61 by a large margin. It also beats the more apparent 3/13/55 -- turns out RP gen is more important than crit on Oblit.

The new magic number is 18% for ArP. At 18%+ ArP (and after Sunders and full raid buffs, etc.), Obliterate now produces more damage per swing than Scourge Strike. However, even below 18%, the additional RP gen from Oblit in the 0/17/54 spec along with the new UB talent likely makes Oblit a higher damage ability overall.

AEP values haven't been calculated yet (or, rather, agreed upon), but I'd bet on Haste's value going down, ArP's value going up, and Crit's value being very dependent on whether you have 4pc 9.5.

For 2H builds, Oblit-heavy Unholy (0/17/54) seems to be outproducing any variety of Blood or Frost 2H by many hundred dps on single targets. (Veba should probably test both builds though, since he's got the best gear set now for each.)

Dual-wield Frost is potentially competitive with 2H Oblit-Unholy. My take on the entire thing is that it's very dependent on having the correct gear, which likely none of us do at the moment.

That being said, if you agree with any of the recent DK theorycrafting discussion, I think we're all pigeonholed into Oblit-Unholy for a while.

Oh, and yeah -- FU Blizzard for making none of the tree-defining strikes good anymore (RE: Heart Strike, Frost Strike, and Scourge Strike). So broken Qqqqp

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Stormscale

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    friends first impression, we are a top 100us guild.
    Agreed on the actual post.. used the 17/54 for a 25 Ulduar tonight and I ended up with better numbers than my previous 10/61 spec for Unholy, I will be trying Blood on some of the new instances and also 1 other raiding DK in guild is more than likely switching from Blood to Unholy until they balance things out again like blizz is known to do.

Also GG to Frost tanking.. personally I don't see a reason anymore to even touch frost as a deep tree spec for tanking, I'll be sticking to my Blood Tanking one from now on.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

thanks for your friend's info Boyiee. I am wondering though, would it be worth it to ditch the 2 pts in improved icy talons to go for improved unholy aura?

your spec link for 0/17/54 are broken so I can only speculate that the reason they put 2 points there is filler for Chill of the Grave so that they can pump out more RP (ergo more Death Coils). So if you wanted to ditch 2 points in Icy Talons then you'd be giving up Chill of the Grave as well.

Blackice

No comment on the unholy build, but I will say I kept my same Blood build and last night I easily dominated our 25man, even over some very geared pures.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by ravbane View Post
    your spec link for 0/17/54 are broken so I can only speculate that the reason they put 2 points there is filler for Chill of the Grave so that they can pump out more RP (ergo more Death Coils). So if you wanted to ditch 2 points in Icy Talons then you'd be giving up Chill of the Grave as well.
    ah I see now.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zettai Ryouiki
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

3/13/55 if you have the Virulence Sigil, 17/54 if you don't. You said you read the EJ thread so I'll spare you the quote. I find the cookie cutter blood spec to be the most enjoyable, but I'm also missing quite a few pieces of gear before I have an optimal setup for it :<

I wouldn't be surprised if they did some rebalancing with Scourge Strike. Then again, I also wouldn't be surprised if they ended up nerfing Obliterate in some fashion such as removing it from Dirge.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Yeah, I don't see Blizzard leaving Unholy as it is. Pretty sure they want each tree to use its associated strikes. That being said, I enjoy Blood and DW Frost more since I don't like pet micro :<

Little Mother
    BG Level

I will be shocked and at a loss for words if Blizzard actually fixes Scourge Strike to scale better instead of nerfing the fuck out of Obliterate, and I'm glad I'm a Blood DK for when they do.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I lootwhored myself 2 decent DPS swords for this update. Is it worth testing with a blood spec? I'd assume I'd have to regem and re-enchant everything to get hit/exp capped :/

Official THE Alpha and Omega

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBreeze View Post
    I will be shocked and at a loss for words if Blizzard actually fixes Scourge Strike to scale better instead of nerfing the fuck out of Obliterate, and I'm glad I'm a Blood DK for when they do.
    Seriously. It's all I can hope for that they'll not fuck with my Blood DPS while they screw with other trees.