1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 13 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 10 hours, 2 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 6 hours, 57 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 3 hours, 2 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 102 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

So on the DirectX spectrum, current thought leans towards FFXIV not having DX11? And DX11 is only going to be supported on GT300+ cards, correct?
    Looking at buying new hardware right now on newegg, was planning on SLI'ing 2 GT260s... but bleh, I hate buying stuff that's already about to be outdated.
    Of course, do I really care or will I notice if I have DX10 vs. 11? Unlikely.

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by Kawfee View Post
    So on the DirectX spectrum, current thought leans towards FFXIV not having DX11? And DX11 is only going to be supported on GT300+ cards, correct?

Of course, do I really care or will I notice if I have DX10 vs. 11? Unlikely.
    This quote from Xello should answer your question.

@ DX11 in FFXIV, that render path cannot be used with a ps3 game - it's not even fully dx10 certified.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Vuitton View Post
    This quote from Xello should answer your question.
    Thanks, somehow I missed reading that. Nonetheless, if you were upgrading, would you want to spend $400+ for a single DX11 capable card, or would you rather spend ~$300 for 2 SLI GT 260's?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuushin View Post
    I know I'm going to upgrade when XIV comes out. Though it has me wondering about "PS3 limitations" though . The irony >_>;
    I'm sure XIV will look better on a computer then PS3. But then again most ppl aren't sitting at a desk playing a comp game using 40+ inch screens at max res. The main reason [I think] the PC version will be superior is that you can tweak it in ways you can't a console.

Thanks for the links.
    No problem, and PM sent!

Thanks, somehow I missed reading that. Nonetheless, if you were upgrading, would you want to spend $400+ for a single DX11 capable card, or would you rather spend ~$300 for 2 SLI GT 260's?
    That really depends on what you are buying your pc for, and as always when buying a video card it depends what resolution you game at. If Nvidia can pull out all the stops a single 'GT300' card will outperform a GTX260 SLI setup. However if you're buying a PC just to play FFXIV alone on say a 1650x1050 monitor you have no need of more than say one 260 at the most. If you're building a general gaming PC then you should perhaps be looking to more future-proof and expensive options, but still it depends on your requirements (monitor resolution, desired settings)

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    I'm sure XIV will look better on a computer then PS3. But then again most ppl aren't sitting at a desk playing a comp game using 40+ inch screens at max res. The main reason [I think] the PC version will be superior is that you can tweak it in ways you can't a console.
    That's it exactly, on a PC even on the same DX9 path you will be able to enable additional effects, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, and potentially others they could use, as well as the obvious higher resolution (the ps3 version will be 1280x720, at the most)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Xello
    That really depends on what you are buying your pc for, and as always when buying a video card it depends what resolution you game at. If Nvidia can pull out all the stops a single 'GT300' card will outperform a GTX260 SLI setup. However if you're buying a PC just to play FFXIV alone on say a 1650x1050 monitor you have no need of more than say one 260 at the most. If you're building a general gaming PC then you should perhaps be looking to more future-proof and expensive options, but still it depends on your requirements (monitor resolution, desired settings)
    My PC is geared toward general gaming, although not necessarily the most demanding games out there. I'm not a huge FPSer, play mainly TF2 in that realm. Essentially I'm looking to future proof my computer for Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and FFXIV. So that being said... 2 GT 260s, or 1 GT300?
    EDIT: Considering price... if a GT300 is going to be like $500+, I think I'd probably just say screw it and get 2 GT 260s, which =~$300 for both.

My PC is geared toward general gaming, although not necessarily the most demanding games out there. I'm not a huge FPSer, play mainly TF2 in that realm. Essentially I'm looking to future proof my computer for Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, and FFXIV. So that being said... 2 GT 260s, or 1 GT300?
    EDIT: Considering price... if a GT300 is going to be like $500+, I think I'd probably just say screw it and get 2 GT 260s, which =~$300 for both.
    What's your monitor resolution do you know?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Xello View Post
    What's your monitor resolution do you know?
    Either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200, can't remember (at work atm). It's a 24" Samsung

Alright, well i can tell you with that in all likelyhood a GTX 260 alone will be enough to enjoy FFXIV maxed out @ 1080/1200p.

If you're looking for a bit more power to ensure quality settings on other games next year i would suggest a GTX 285 rather than getting a second 260, just for the less of a hassle factor. The GT300 chips will not be launching for a while, but by all means if you can wait til Q1/Q2 next year then they will probably be a good buy also. I say probably because there are these two potential scenarios: one is that Nvidia will pull another G80 success (the 8800GTX that launched 3 years ago) and these things will be the fastest thing on the planet by a large margin, and the other scenario is that they will make some mistakes which wouldn't be a new thing and the cards will be a disappointment.

Either way though it's a good bet that they will at least be a worthy upgrade from the current architecture.

It also depends on regional pricing on what is best to recommend, i'm in the UK here so our £s and your $s are worlds apart. My usual method of finding the best price is (after checking some preferred sites for a ball park figure) using Froogle and sorting by price from lowest to highest then see what you can find.

Xello properly bought a GTX260 or something and he want to justify his purchase in his unconscious mind, i didn't state my opinion what i said was objective not subjective unlike him where he post total drama and PMS etc unrelated stuff, i did post a benchmark charts that backup exactly what i said from the experts they worked over 1 month just to create that chart and check all cards listed.

Here it's again for people who missed it Charts, benchmarks Gaming Graphics Cards Charts 2009 (High Quality), Fallout 3

All what he did was posting million review of GTX295 which does nothing to the discussion, we know it's the greatest card on earth right now but what i said it was not huge insane jump that's all and if history Tell's us anything GT300 is going to be the next huge jump.

@ DX11 in FFXIV, that render path cannot be used with a ps3 game - it's not even fully dx10 certified.

Sorry to others for going OT, i just cannot abide false information being pasted here left right and center. I'm starting to get the feeling though that certain members here are commonly known to provide such info and are generally avoided
    You are correct about posting false info, it's you who is posting complete false info left and right. PS3 got nothing to do with Directx to begin with and xbox360 can only display Directx9 shaders/effects and here is the proof

These are proof that the xbox360 can not display Directx10 effects/shaders from ati there self "They made xbox360 GPU"

Xbox 360 Not Upgradable to DirectX 10: News from 1UP.com
    Xbox 360 can't run DirectX 10, confirms ATI
    Boomtown - xbox - Xbox 360

Here is list of directx10 games most of them ALREADY released on PS3/XBOX360/PC but the only way to enable Directx10 effects is to play them on PC plus many more Directx10 games are coming, the wiki list is not even updated for example Resident evil 5 is not here yet it use directx10 on pc
    List of games with DirectX 10 support - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Assassin creed
    Bioshock
    Devil may cry 4
    Far cry 2
    Gears of war
    Lost planet
    etc

All of them can use directx9 or directx10 on PC while the console version is unable to do so so stop spreading around your BS and lack of information.

Also SE did state that they will use LATEST tech available for FFXIV specially PC version and that they wont gimp it like FF11 limited by PS2, hell Directx11 is not even out , it arrive with windows 7 release yet many games already did state that they will use Directx11 for the PC version while the Console version stuck with Directx9

List of games with DirectX 11 support - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For example Dirt 2/battlefield/F1 2010 all of them are PC/xbox360/PS3 yet they will use directx11 for PC "Better lighting/effects/shaders/etc" while console version will be stuck on directx9~

Thanks for the links.

You keep going on about false information in a general manner, but fail to ever specify anything in particular. Furthermore, you never provide accurate information in regards to your blanket statement of "everything in this thread is bad information".
    He doesn't disagree with me only, he disagree with toms hardware were most hardcore pc websites use there charts only as a reliable source.

By the time GT300 arrive GTX260 will properly be 99$ and the mid range GT300 will be more powerful "if" leaked/rumors are true we do not yet but Directx11 will be available only in GT300 cards that's for sure so if FFXIV used Directx11 you can not run FFXIV on max settings with even GTX295 on Sli because Directx11 not available on GTX295.

Nvidia will pull another G80 success (the 8800GTX that launched 3 years ago) and these things will be the fastest thing on the planet by a large margin, and the other scenario is that they will make some mistakes which wouldn't be a new thing and the cards will be a disappointment.

Either way though it's a good bet that they will at least be a worthy upgrade from the current architecture.
    Because new architecture = of course a huge upgrade, they will be stuck with that new architecture for the next 2-3 years if it were not worthy upgrade why would they waste billions on R & D when they can just improve current architecture, answer = because they have too if they wanna compete with ATI 3 years ago GPU were using 90NM now they are using 40NM different tech and GT300 won't even be just a normal "gpu" it's suppose to be GPU/CPU if nvidia did everything as they plan , GT300 will be so freaking powerful

It's funny that you agree right now with exactly what i have said in the fourth page
    Quote Originally Posted by Seph View Post

I'm not saying all these cards are as powerful as each other, all what I'm saying all what we are getting is like 10% boost every year, but when 8800 came, 8800 Ultra alone a single GPU were more powerful than 7950 GTX "which was strongest single card from the previous gen" by 200% now that's a huge insane graphic boost, what they do is build a tough gpu and enhance it's watt usage/size/heat etc for the next 2-3 years and maybe overclock it a little bit here and here when they reduce chips NM since it allow them to overclock it.
    In short for everyone : FFXIV = 2010 Fall~, New cards = late 2009/Early 2010
    So if you can wait it's better if you do even if you don't want GT300 cards, GT200 cards prices will drop like crazy.

Ahh good point about those games with dx9 on consoles yet dx 10/10.1 on pc. Could very well go the same way for XIV now that I think about it. I wouldn't mind at all if it's not dx11 but dx10 on pc. It'll still make the game very pretty.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by 100percentile View Post
    Ahh good point about those games with dx9 on consoles yet dx 10/10.1 on pc. Could very well go the same way for XIV now that I think about it. I wouldn't mind at all if it's not dx11 but dx10 on pc. It'll still make the game very pretty.
    Ya, that makes more sense. Maybe this time around, the graphics/trailer won't be as misleading in terms of graphics lol.

Age of conan 2008 mmorpg and it use Directx10 on PC, Console version coming this year too
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ag...-a-year-behind

Directx10 on FF11 is pretty much guaranteed since SE did confirm that they will use latest tech available for the PC version and directx10 is 4 years old by the time FFXIV arrive lol,Directx10 was not extremely popular because it's only available on windows vista which many gamers wanted to avoid for a very longtime plus directx10 was mostly about extra shiny effects/graphic mainly not built for easier games development in mind as a focus , the story is different with Directx11.

"""Microsoft unveiled Direct3D 11 support, and improved multi-threading support to assist video game developers in developing games that better utilize multi-core processors. Direct3D 11 will run on Windows Vista, Windows 7, and all future Windows operating systems."""

Developers were screaming for new directx for years that is built for better support in multi-core processors, when Directx10 came multi core cpus were not that popular "late 2005/early 2006) unlike now and specially in 2010 that's why games is starting to develop for directx11 when it's not even out yet, most current games on pc (90%) can not make a use of quad cores at all.

SE using Directx11 on pc will not only make the game look better, it will make the game run much better on PCs that use Dual/quad cores and it will be more stable, if SE plan to keep that game on the market for a longtime, using directx11 will make it future proof for a longtime at least " Since it's mmorpg i'm sure they want it to last as long as possible hence SE saying they will use latest tech"

They used crapy Directx8 on FF11 so frame rate was capped 30 frame, even when stronger directx9 arrived,we couldn't run the game on 60 frame because the game was built using directx8, ANYONE remember when directx10 arrived? rofl FF11 didn't even run on these new cards even when SE did patch the game MANY times "Nvidia did too" still an old card from 2003 would run the game better than 8800 card, it toke them a longtime to fix that.

Normal PC users which run the game on normal settings and consoles users can stick with directx9 build but for hardcore people who want to run the game on max settings and make a use of the quad cores they have, Directx11 will make the job much easier on SE, the end result it's win-win situation for everybody

Here is an example,assassin creed Directx9 and Directx10 both versions looks about the same "developers didn't use that much of Directx10 effects" end result? the game actually run with better frame rate on Directx10 enabled than Directx9 on the same computer,

"""Technical Lead on Assassin's Creed PC, AC will use DirectX 10 features.

This won't result in any visual difference between DX9 and DX10, but will instead mean that Assassin's Creed solely uses the shader model 4 so that performance gains are realistic ,DirectX 10 enables us to make fewer calls to the API to perform the same actions. Therefore, it will be possible for the drivers to make optimizations making the game faster WITHOUT ANY CHANGE TO THE GAME ENGINE. Since most of the DX10 drivers are still young, we can expect a lot of gain to come from the optimization of these drivers.
    when running on Vista, DirectX 10 version speed will be much faster than its DirectX 9 counterpart (also running on Vista).
    ""

http://www.actiontrip.com/link.phtml...ster_than_DX9/

Wow that's great about DX11 being built to support many cores. Also, supposedly S-E capped XI at 30fps due to game design issues as people with higher FPS would be able to see NMs and whatnot before people with crappy comps could. I just hope they don't cap XIV at 30fps, that would suck.

Wow that's great about DX11 being built to support many cores. Also, supposedly S-E capped XI at 30fps due to game design issues as people with higher FPS would be able to see NMs and whatnot before people with crappy comps could. I just hope they don't cap XIV at 30fps, that would suck.
    Many people can not tell the different between stable 30 frame and 60 frame, let alone react to 0.01 frame different "60 frame does not mean they will get the pop 30 frame ahead of the 30 frame guys but 1 frame ahead on the worst case scenario that's 1 frame/60 in sec since only first frame of the pop counts = 0.016m sec (10 of those lol advantage = 16%~ of a real 1 second which is yet not even quarter of a sec) which is so silly to use as an excuse~ server lag from japan have much much more effect than that since you can "SEE hnms pop claimed to begin with, you can not SEE the frame different i mentioned on action not possible for human eye"

They locked the frame rate of the engine to 30 with directx8 Not directx8 fault but it's if you wanna unlock it so when directx9 came they couldn't unlock this limit because it create so much work for them to convert directx8 build to directx9 they had to do it from the start while they were building their engine or they have to rebuild it now yet they can not unlock it on directx8 itself because it couldn't handle it for the kind of game they have created/build on that engine so they got in a very lame situation, frame rate even drop to something like 5-10 pathetic frame near ah even if you get the most powerful computer on the world, their codes were so outdated and limited by directx8, it can't display stable 30 frame let alone 60 frame.

It's simple really, If SE chosed Directx11 = their games will run much better and smoother and the game will last very long running good looking + smooth

If SE decided to use Directx10 the game will work very good only if they use so much time and money optimizing the game on quad/dual core but why bother if directx11 is there and microsoft have already done all the work for you, they don't need to use Directx11 effects for better looking game/extra pc requirement but they can build the game around directx11 for PC high quality version to make it run better just like assassin creed, and it will give them the option to create wonderful looking graphic for expansions down the road "2012 or so" when FF14 pc requirement become a joke and mainstream

Xello properly bought a GTX260
    Yeah because that's what i posted in my spec list a few pages back.

All what he did was posting million review of GTX295 which does nothing to the discussion
    The 'discussion' which was actually your point of 'GTX 295 is just two overclocked 9800GTX' which actually is blown away by each one of those reviews, i don't expect you to read them though as i said in my post they are for the benefit of everyone else - your reply was not looked for.

PS3 got nothing to do with Directx to begin with
    I don't really know what you are saying here, the ps3 and 360 both use directx 9 as the common API, why you bring up the 360 is confusing, i don't see the relevance, but i'm sure you will come up with something unrelated.

Here is list of directx10 games most of them ALREADY released on PS3/XBOX360/PC but the only way to enable Directx10 effects is to play them on PC plus many more Directx10 games are coming, the wiki list is not even updated for example Resident evil 5 is not here yet it use directx10 on pc
    List of games with DirectX 10 support - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Assassin creed
    Bioshock
    Devil may cry 4
    Far cry 2
    Gears of war
    Lost planet
    etc

All of them can use directx9 or directx10 on PC while the console version is unable to do so so stop spreading around your BS and lack of information.
    Yeah because the issue at hand was that you said FFXIV could support DX10. Ok i was wrong you are right DX10 is certainly an option.

Oh no wait a sec, that's not what you said, you said it could support DX11, and that's what i was addressing. Glad to clear that up for you But in seriousness the point was that FFXIV is not any of those games, it's an MMO, and it would be improper for SE to make too vast a difference between console and PC versions to maintain cross-platform standards.

He doesn't disagree with me only, he disagree with toms hardware were most hardcore pc websites use there charts only as a reliable source.
    You know what right now i just abandoned all my principles of choosing to view multiple site reviews, i will in fact use tomshardware alone from this point forward as that's clearly the reasonable thing to do.

That will be my last reply on the topic, as there's clearly nothing that drives this guy more insane than ignoring him and a lack of drama. I'll keep to my drama-filled PMs

I'll leave the rest of you to comments such as these:

Many people can not tell the different between stable 30 frame and 60 frame
    And one last reminder to question everything said, not just by this person but by anyone, even if they post huge blocks of text that make you think they know more than you do on the subject.

Seph's trolling goes from topic to topic. He's like a virus, a really stupid virus.

Double post

I don't really know what you are saying here, the ps3 and 360 both use directx 9 as the common API, why you bring up the 360 is confusing, i don't see the relevance, but i'm sure you will come up with something unrelated.
    You are wrong again for the million time PS3 does not use Directx as i said before , wtf is wrong with you stating what i said is false when it's you who have no idea wtf is he talking about?
    PS3 use some sort of enhanced Open GL that's why development for it is not easy for developers who is used to Directx mainly,here is a copy paste for you from sony.

Sony PS3 To Go With Standards
    Posted on March 14, 2005 at 12:00am AST (GMT-04:00)

In a move which went mostly unnoticed because it was brought up in a general discussion about the new IBM/Toshiba/Sony CELL processor, but is a dramatic shift in strategy, Sony disclosed at the GDC that the next generation of PlayStation (the so-called PS3 ) will adopt open, or at least popular, APIs as part of its architecture.

Sony will be using *******OpenGL ES******* for the 3D graphics API, NVIDIA s Cg shader language, and the development tools will also incorporate support for the COLLADA format for art asset interchange so that developers can share 3D art among multiple platforms.

Sony Computer Entertainment s (SCE) manager of developer relations, Mark DeLoura, in describing the software components of Sony s implementation of the CELL processor, indicated that Sony wanted to enable the use of familiar APIs, and provide tools which run on popular operating systems . Presumably that means Windows, but might also include Linux he wouldn t elaborate.

DeLoura explained that Sony chose ******OpenGL ES****** over straight OpenGL for a number of reasons, key among them that OpenGL is top heavy and includes a lot of baggage which game developers don t need. OpenGL ES is also specifically designed for interactive 3D applications, games key among those, and it offers a much smaller memory footprint. Most importantly, according to DeLoura OpenGL ES is an industry standard. He also stressed that SCE is working closely with the Khronos group to position ES as a good choice for real-time interactive graphics.

Wiki page open GL vs Direct3d (Directx) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...L_and_Direct3D
    That will be my last reply on the topic, as there's clearly nothing that drives this guy more insane than ignoring him and a lack of drama. I'll keep to my drama-filled PMs
    Thank god, we don't need more stupid posts from you based on zero information to back them up plus what you said is complete false and i have proved it more than once or twice, you have no shame you are so wrong yet you keep arguing

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Seph's trolling goes from topic to topic. He's like a virus, a really stupid virus.
    Shut up troll.