1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 17 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 6 hours, 33 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 10 hours, 26 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 5 days, 23 hours, 33 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 102 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Elcura View Post
    Seph's trolling goes from topic to topic. He's like a virus, a really stupid virus.
    Maybe, but that says more about the forum mods not doing their job than it does about him.

Once again anyone (including seph) who needs clarirfication on the ps3 DX issue (or anything from here on) is welcome to contact me, keep the PMs flowing.

Peace.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

I just bought a new laptop which I hope will be able to run FFXIV on high settings when its out.

Toshiba Qosmio X300-14U

Thoughts?

Averrinicus

Quote Originally Posted by Zyuu View Post
    I just bought a new laptop which I hope will be able to run FFXIV on high settings when its out.

Toshiba Qosmio X300-14U

Thoughts?
    what were the specs of yours? I like what it offers and I'm sure what you go will undoubtedly play it at the very least lol

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shipp Atori
    FFXIV Server
    Brynhildr
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Seph View Post
    Many people can not tell the different between stable 30 frame and 60 frame,
    No, a difference between 30 and 60 FPS is quite noticable.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Toshiba Qosmio X300-14U

Thoughts?
    Looks fine to me if yours is the same as the one that shows up in google XD

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Shippou View Post
    No, a difference between 30 and 60 FPS is quite noticable.
    Some people really can't tell the difference of 30 or 60 fps... but there is also alot that can, may be just how well a persons eyesight/brain registers changes etc ;/

and ... not too sure why many make random speculation, they gave a clue the first time ffxiv was mention, "an average PC 5 years from now can run FFXIV at max settings" back in like 2008

I really wouldn't expect a laptop unless its pretty expensive (like $3000-4000+) to be running ffxiv on max, same for a desktop of "today" to run ffxiv on max unless its basically in that range also. Hopefully the game will support dual/quad video card setup (not many seem to, especially mmo's for some reason)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shipp Atori
    FFXIV Server
    Brynhildr
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkeeva View Post
    Some people really can't tell the difference of 30 or 60 fps... but there is also alot that can, may be just how well a persons eyesight/brain registers changes etc ;/
    Only people with horrible eyesight can't tell the difference. The majority of people can see a definite difference between the two, and usually you can't tell much of a difference beyond around 72 FPS. When my FPS in WoW drops to 30, hell, even 40, I want to hit something.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I can definitely tell the difference. When I played FFXI for years in a row and played nothing else I became accustomed to it, but honestly, when you get used to playing games without low frame caps you can really tell when they start to drop, especially in motion. I'll agree about WoW, I can tell a major difference between 60 and 40 FPS... 30 is just mind-numbingly annoying in WoW. The same can certainly be said for FPSs, but that's not the issue.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuushin View Post
    Looks fine to me if yours is the same as the one that shows up in google XD
    It is I wasn't able to post links before since I was below 10 posts. Now I'm a bit more.. uh, experienced? Haha.

So here's the link:

Qosmio X300-14U - Product Specifications - Toshiba

Quote Originally Posted by Shippou View Post
    Only people with horrible eyesight can't tell the difference. The majority of people can see a definite difference between the two, and usually you can't tell much of a difference beyond around 72 FPS. When my FPS in WoW drops to 30, hell, even 40, I want to hit something.
    I can definitely tell the different specially in fast based games
    but i have met many people who do not notice the different and do not care about it , they only care's if frame rate drops so bad to something like 15 frame

Remember that "almost" every movie that exist is 24 frame "most blu rays too" so people is used to the 24-30 frame ~

I want FFXIV hopefully to have no frame rate cap, so i can play the game 60frame+

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

i7 965 is overpriced compared to what you can get from a 920 for 600 less, GPU should be sized based on your monitor, not the e-peen that comes with a big number. a GTX285 or 295 would easily run most games at 1900x1200 dual cards would only need to be used beyond that resolution. Getting over 60FPS AVG = useless, your monitor doesn't refresh faster than that anyway.

This is a basic setup designed to be added to later with a 9800GTX(250GT) which will be moved to physics later and is more than enough for the monitor used. The 920 chip will be changes once the 6 core i9 chips come out. RAM is priced well for the quality and RAD5 the HDD will make load times faster.

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Toshiba Qosmio X300-14U

Thoughts?
    Just a general observation about laptops... unless your buying a laptop that's made for pretty high end gaming, you will run into issues w/ heating, ect... and you can't upgrade them like a desktop. I look at laptops at one-time money sinks, while desktops can be upgraded as needed. And I don't like Toshiba laptops... mine is great, but has had massive heating issues at times and I have had to bring it in for repairs more then any comp should need to

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkai View Post
    i7 965 is overpriced compared to what you can get from a 920 for 600 less, GPU should be sized based on your monitor, not the e-peen that comes with a big number. a GTX285 or 295 would easily run most games at 1900x1200 dual cards would only need to be used beyond that resolution. Getting over 60FPS AVG = useless, your monitor doesn't refresh faster than that anyway.

This is a basic setup designed to be added to later with a 9800GTX(250GT) which will be moved to physics later and is more than enough for the monitor used. The 920 chip will be changes once the 6 core i9 chips come out. RAM is priced well for the quality and RAD5 the HDD will make load times faster.

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg
    Are the i7 and i9 processors the same chipset as Core 2 Duo's?

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

no, they are xeon slots LGA 1366 vs 775 for the duo, p4 and quad core

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I think I'm gonna build a new comp like a month or two before ffxiv comes out. I want to future proof it as much as possible. i7s should be really cheap by then because the i9s are scheduled for spring of 2010. I'm gonna assume that ffxiv will make use of dual and quad processors but I highly doubt that it'll make use of the 6 processors of the i9.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I am hoping for a few options;

SLI/X-fire support
    DX11
    Hyperthreading support

I think multicore support will be there because that is the main engine of the PS3, it is an 8 core chip that disables 1 to make fewer failed chips (statistically you get 7/8 and 8/8 good cores more often than you get 8/8.) they set one core for the OS and the remaining 6 cores are for gameplay only.

One of the main problems with the PS3 at launch was the inability for anyone to program games complex enough for it, not that it isn't as good as the 360, but rather it has taken years for people to get the "umph" out of it. This makes me think that XIV would be limited more by the PC players than the PS3 players. Comments saying that they wanted this game to push hardware 3 years from now even make me think more so. Keep in mind it takes 1G of RAM just to run vista in the background, thus for a FFXI or XIV to play well in windows (especially vista) you need tons more ability than with a PS3.

That said, thinking about the upcoming intel chipsets, they plan on hitting 8 cores in the next few years, GFX is about to hit DX11 with the next series of Nvidia cards, RAM is up to 24GB now with the LGA1366 boards, Windows 7 is out soon, 64 bit is more the norm now than it was making RAM capable of breaking the 3.2G 32bit limit.

Hell a 400MHZ FSB was huge when XI came out, they are pushing 2k on the i7. P4 with 3.0+GHZ being the rising tech of the XI timeframe, the "cool" kids had dual chip boards, now we have 6 core 3.2ghz chips with more cache than we would have known what to do with before built into the chip. Hyperthreading is back, watercooled overclocked boards are the norm in games like WoW, CoD, Crysis, etc etc etc...

Now as for building a gaming PC,

1) I know I said it before, but having a HUGE GPU setup is useless without a monitor to run it so having GTX275FTW in triple SLI with a 9800 physics card sound good, but you can't get faster than 60FPS anyway, so who cares?

2) Lag in areas like DA and AA etc, have less to do with the ability of your GPU to laod information, and more with your HDD's ability to load new information and your RAM's ability to store it. When you experience HUGE lag going into DA with 100+ there, it is part GPU but mostly your HDD trying to get information to the PC. Fixes for this include Raid, SSD, Velociraptor drives and RAM drives. RAID 0 and 1 as well as 5 can skyrocket load times compared to standard 1-2TB setups you may consider 3 500GB in raid 5, you get redundancy to protect your data and pieces of data you need are on all 3 drives, making it load MUCH faster.

3) RAM, while you wouldn't need more than 3GB before, you have to consider the avid gamer may be running Fraps, the game, a forum, a youtube video on the other screen, and your AutoCAD homework all at the same time. and standard packages of triple channel RAM are 3 and 6GB now. You can get a great setup of DDR3 1333 MHZ 6GB RAM for 100 or so now anyway. May as well.

4) The AMDII, Core i7, Core 2 Quad all have the ability to clock well over 3.6-5GHZ, if SE intends to "push" gaming systems 2-3 years from now,

I think the PS3 will be limited by the PC user not visa~versa, for at least the first few years. If you look at everything it has, and think about the PS2 at the time of FFXI release you can see how they were limited by the NTSC framerates on TV's of 30FPS, while PC users had CRT monitors with 100hz refresh rates, (100 FPS). Now both are on even ground with HDTV, (Keeping in mind 1080i is 1920X1080). If they intend to push the envelope, it would have to mean they are expecting Crysis style performance. 2560X1600 in Crysis with max settings takes dual-quad SLI setups to get a stable FPS.

Now what does this man for the AVG FF player, not a damn thing. You can lower settings any time you want. While I believe SE will make the hard core gamer cry, I don't think they will set up the system to only be used by them.

Minimum requirements will be set to that people can play the game comfortably with low settings, 1280X1024, 1024X768 etc, while you won't see what the hardcore overclocker sees, that isn't SE's issue, as long as you can play the game they did their part. Remember, CS and area load times are CPU/HDD based, not soo much GPU. SE has also allowed PC users to raise their resolution above the 1024x768 allowed at the start. (though most of us hacked higher resolution long before that).

Summary: Your basic system can "play" FFXI at middle range or low settings, SE has the ability to add resolutions at their discretion, PS3 isn't lower than the PC's now but rather slightly above them (No OS makes for less power needed), and I think Xbox isn't getting XIV because it is similar to the PS2 at XI's launch in that it would limit the game too much in the future.

This is all speculation, I really have no ideas what they will do, but I highly doubt they would make it so you need a $4k PC to play. That said, I am more worried they would ruin gameplay by making the game too easy than with anything they would do for hardware.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

YouTube - CryEngine 3 Consoles vs CryEngine 2 PC [HD]

Interesting comparison of formats, PS3, 360, i7 and AMD setups, PC's being midrange and high end.

Shows what a PS3 can do vs a high end machine to some extent.

Not great, but something.

Meh, if SE really wants to throw a curveball, make FF14 available for Linux. Dreaming, of course, but it would totally make my day.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Thanks for that. Very noticeable differences but with PC technology upgrading so quickly, it's inevitable that the differences are greater.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

If you can't afford a good computer and decide to play on a Playstation3 don't feel like you have to give up the ~Keyboard and ~Mouse. PS3 has 2 USB ports, just buy an USB keyboard/mouse and you're set!