1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 56 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 3 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 12 hours, 56 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 21 hours, 3 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 102 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 66 ... LastLast
    A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Telamond View Post
    Since the beta sign-ups was recently released, where they asked what ones graphic card and processor was... is there a way to further the speculations of the system requirements?

My stationary PC just broke down and I need to replace it for work. :X
    Just look at the list from top to bottom really. It seems they're suggesting AT LEAST a Dual Core 2.xghz/2GB PC minimum. Single core PCs will likely do fine as well but not at full settings.

Thinking back on it, were there any video cards on their list that wasn't DX10 compatible? I didn't look at the ATi side too much, but I can't remember them putting an nVidia card up that was weaker than the 8400.

I could have sworn they said the game was going to be DX9, but it just seemed like an odd cut-off point.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith

Quote Originally Posted by Tirrock View Post
    Thinking back on it, were there any video cards on their list that wasn't DX10 compatible? I didn't look at the ATi side too much, but I can't remember them putting an nVidia card up that was weaker than the 8400.

I could have sworn they said the game was going to be DX9, but it just seemed like an odd cut-off point.
    The game is going to be DX9 (so most people can actually play the game) but it will support DX10/11, it's just likely people will have a card made in the last 2 years compared to one made in the last 7.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

something along quad core - gtx 260 / radeon 4870 - 2-4 gb ram should be able to handle the game well, it's SE, not crytek.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

I wonder how it will scale with SLI/Crossfire. I'm running a phenom II quad and a 4870x2 so I expect I can probably run this maxed out. Also, they might add Dx10 in the future after the game is released, some games are doing it this way anyway.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by sruon View Post
    something along quad core - gtx 260 / radeon 4870 - 2-4 gb ram should be able to handle the game well, it's SE, not crytek.
    Thats what my system is running on

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I was wondering, is it possible to "translate" PS3 hardware to PC hardware?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Not really as you're talking about dedicated architecture specifically made for gaming versus a multitasker. Look at emulation for instance: you can have a beefy computer but it still won't play your Wii games with sound (although it definitely can make them look better).

It's really going to be hard to say what ideal specs are until we can get our feet in the mud.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

You can translate some of it (i'm assuming you are basically asking can you compare the PS3 hardware to current PC hardware)

The PS3 uses an overclocked Nvidia 7800 GTX for it's GPU, the CPU is a Toshiba/IBM multi-core PowerPC"Cell" processor

If you compare the "RSX Reality Synthesizer", which is what Sony calls the Nvidia GPU inside the PS3, to a stock 7800 GTX

DirectX Version:
    RSX: 9.1
    7800 GTX: 9.1

GPU Clock:
    RSX: 550Mhz
    7800 GTX: 430Mhz

ROPs (Render Output units)
    RSX: 8
    7800 GTX: 16

Transistors:
    RSX: ~300 million
    7800 GTX: ~300 million

TMUs (Texture Mapping Units)
    RSX: 24
    7800 GTX: 24

Pixel Fillrate (Peak)
    RSX: 4.4 gigapixel/s
    7800 GTX: 6.6 gigapixel/s

Memory Bandwidth (GPU)
    RSX: 22.4 GB/s
    7800 GTX: 38.4 GB/s

So the RSX is more/less a crippled version of the 7800 GTX in almost all categories. The clockspeed on the RSX was raised to 550 due to the smaller manufacturing process on the RSX (90nm vs 7800 GTX's 110nm)

The "Cell" is more/less a 3.2ghz 8-core PowerPC CPU, though that's probably oversimplifying it. Only 6 of the 8 SPE's are usable for games. One of the remaining two is used for the PS3 operating system, and the 8th is disabled to improve yields when manufacturing the Cell chip

You usually can't compare a console that has similar hardware to a PC, because most gaming consoles are not using their resources on other things while you're in the middle of playing a game. The PS3 does more multitasking while you're gaming, than the PSX and PS2 did, but a PC does a lot more work in the background which is why you see modern PC's with higher-end hardware than game consoles

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

My only concern at the moment is my video card isn't that great (256 MB ATI). I really want to get a 200 series Nvidia but then I'll have to buy a new PSU. Plus my case is pretty small so I might have some problems upgrading my video card.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

While I'd love to play this on my PS3 (it gets no use otherwise =/), I hate not being able to talk to my friends on AIM and such and browse the net and whatnot while I play.. but I'd like to know if my PC can handle this otherwise I'll suffer through it.

Well, here are my PC specs:

Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
    4.0GB RAM
    NVidia GEforce 9400 GT

Could I run it on medium settings, at least, you think?

If not, how cheap can I grab a USB keyboard for my PS3?

Oh, and, I'm assuming it'll be like FFXI where we have servers cross-platform..

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    My PC spec are as follows:
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    1TB SATA HD
    6 Gigs DDR3 RAM
    EVGA 896mb GTX-260
    X58 Classified 3xSLI MB
    Core i7 920
    Antec 900

and just for kicks PS3 big and soon a slim if i trade in this posbox! ww

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

I don't know too much about comps but I was wondering if you guys think my laptop could run ffxiv.

Gateway laptop:
    Memory Type: DDR2
    Memory Speed: DDR2 667
    Memory Size: 4GB
    Hard drive: 320GB
    Hard drive speed: 5400 RPM
    Processor brand: Intel Pentium
    Processor type: Dual-Core
    Processor speed: 2.20 GHz
    Graphics Description: Intel Media Accelerator 4500 MHD
    Video Memory: up to 1695 MB

Sea Torques
    BG Level

To all the people mindlessly asking if their PC can run FF14, the answer is
    Spoiler: show
    absolutely! Your PC blows away the unreleased benchmarks (on EXTREME settings)! Not to mention medium settings!

Spoiler: show
    For real though, no one knows yet.

So... 'maybe', is your best answer.

Turtle Apprentice
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kame Aoren
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffy View Post
    Graphics Description: Intel Media Accelerator 4500 MHD
    Damn this is not good, i bet you get lag while playing Solitaire.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kmexe View Post
    Damn this is not good, i bet you get lag while playing Solitaire.
    Lmao is it that bad? I haven't played solitare on this laptop yet (got it for Christmas lol) but I did play the 10 day free trial WoW and I ran that just fine.
    Is everything else ok though?

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tsugaru Mifra
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Try running Aion. Watch your computer explode.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Spliffy View Post
    Lmao is it that bad? I haven't played solitare on this laptop yet (got it for Christmas lol) but I did play the 10 day free trial WoW and I ran that just fine.
    Is everything else ok though?
    An Intel Media Accelerator isn't even a video card, it's just an onboard chipset.

To copy from the wiki and put it in easy terms:

The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator, or GMA, is Intel's current line of integrated graphics processors built into various motherboard chipsets.

These integrated graphics products allow a computer to be built without a separate graphics card, which can reduce cost, power consumption and noise. They are commonly found on low-priced notebook and desktop computers as well as business computers, which do not need high levels of graphics capability. 90% of all PCs sold have integrated graphics.[1] They rely on the computer's main memory for storage, which imposes a performance penalty, as both the CPU and GPU have to access memory over the same bus.
    Basically what people are going to be getting at, is if you want to run high end games, you need to get yourself an actual video card.

Little Mother
    BG Level

Pretty much what they said.

Your computer looks fine otherwise, but if you want to play these graphically intense games you're going to have to get a video card, integrated graphics are NEVER a good thing.

The Defense is ready, Your Honor
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lord Longhaft
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Mug'thol

Wait wait wait wait wait.... wait...

...wait.

Someone is trying to play a brand-new, DirectX 10-11, graphically-intensive MMO with an integrated graphics card?

Please please please fraps that shit when you finally get everything installed. I want to see what it looks like playing Crysis on grandma's rig.