1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 9 hours, 56 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 14 hours, 3 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 3 days, 2 hours, 56 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 7 hours, 3 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 ... LastLast
    Vuitton

I just built a system on newegg for $1961, so $2K after shipping. $350 of that is for a new case that I need desperately (Lian Li A77F). I have it all saved to a wish list and will be purchasing it all in the next few weeks as I mull the parts over. I am doing a completely new computer basically, not an upgrade of anything existing.

Case: Lian Li PC-A77F (aluminum full tower)
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    Processor: i7 920 w/ Prolimatech Megahalems & 2 Yate Loon fans
    Memory: 3 x 2gb (6gb total) OCZ Gold DDR3 1600 (PC 12800) (8-8-8-24)
    Graphics: Radeon ATI HD 5870
    Sound: Asus Xonar DX
    SSD: Intel X25-M 80gb
    HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb 7200rpm
    Blu-ray Drive

I plan on OC'ing the 920 to 4ghz, which is why I went overkill on the cooling. I am hoping this build can last me a few years. My last brand new computer was about 5 years ago, and I've been upgrading it since. So this is my first brand new computer since then.

Money sinks

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Regalis View Post
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+, ~1.8GHz
    You will need to upgrade this ^^^^, and as such, you will likely (as in, 99% likely) need to replace this vvvvvvv:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
    which means you will have to replace this vvvvvvv as they wont fit in the dims on new mobos:
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    You can probably survive with this vvvvvv for now (but just barely):
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    All of this stuff you should be able to carryover to your new shit vvvvvvvv:
    Hard Drive: 249 GB
    Monitor: ViewSonic VA1930wm-3
    Sound Card: Speakers (SB Audigy)
    Speakers/Headphones:
    Keyboard: USB Root Hub
    Mouse: USB Root Hub
    Mouse Surface:
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100226-1909)
    Computer Case: Logitech Acrylic Case
    In total for CPU, mobo and ram you can get away with cheap/middle-tier stuff for maybe $300-$400(?). I purchased an i7-930, middle-range performance mobo, and 6gb of somewhat performance RAM for about $550 about two months ago, for reference.
    For a graphics card I'd say hold off til its closer to september but right now either the GTX460 1gb, or the HD5850 if its price drops, would be my recommendation ($230 and $300 respectively, as of right now).

In the meantime the game should run on the 8800GT, I have an 8800GTS 768mb with the above mentioned rig and get like 4500 in the low benchmark and 2500 in the high benchmark (cpu is heavily overclocked to 4.0, GPU is not at all).

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Vuitton View Post
    I just built a system on newegg for $1961, so $2K after shipping. $350 of that is for a new case that I need desperately (Lian Li A77F). I have it all saved to a wish list and will be purchasing it all in the next few weeks as I mull the parts over. I am doing a completely new computer basically, not an upgrade of anything existing.

Case: Lian Li PC-A77F (aluminum full tower)
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    Processor: i7 920 w/ Prolimatech Megahalems & 2 Yate Loon fans
    Memory: 3 x 2gb (6gb total) OCZ Gold DDR3 1600 (PC 12800) (8-8-8-24)
    Graphics: Radeon ATI HD 5870
    Sound: Asus Xonar DX
    SSD: Intel X25-M 80gb
    HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb 7200rpm
    Blu-ray Drive

I plan on OC'ing the 920 to 4ghz, which is why I went overkill on the cooling. I am hoping this build can last me a few years. My last brand new computer was about 5 years ago, and I've been upgrading it since. So this is my first brand new computer since then.

Money sinks
    Not gonna take the time to price shop around to compare against you, but just from a cursory glance, $2k sounds ridiculous for all of that. As I just posted in response to someone above, about two months ago I bought a i7-930, decent performance x58 evga mobo, and that same 6GB OCZ RAM, for about $550. If that case, soundcard, graphics card, SSD, HD, BD, and OS add up to $1500, seems like something isn't quite right.

HD's are cheap, I don't personally see any need for an SSD, nor for a soundcard given the high quality most X58 mobos have. Also not sure why you picked Win 7 Pro vs. Home Premium. Also you are missing a Power Supply (unless the case comes with one/you already have one/etc).

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by sruon View Post
    You're good for a complete upgrade, sorry. Athlon 3000+ is way too old/ not good enough and technically you could /try/ to run with the 8800 GT but you're better off with a complete upgrade.

Depends how many hundreds is "few", if you can afford 500-600 and save a few things like case/HDDs, should be doable.
    So I suppose I can't get away with upgrading to a nice CPU only? I'm not looking for amazing gaming or anything. Just around default settings, maybe low. As far as what I can afford, I'd prefer to stick around the $200-400 range. Keeping as many parts as I can. (Ie; I believe my 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD, and GPU are all ok. Not great, but ok.)

What are PS3s at now? $300-350? Idk. There's three big reasons why I'd rather not; I don't have an HD tv. My current CRT is a newer model (RBG Component), but it's certainly not HD. I have already have a 360, and don't really play on it much (due to spending all my time on MMOs), and to my knowledge PS3 version of XIV isn't being released until way after the PC version. I also plan on purchasing the collectors edition and I'm not certain PS3 will have one.

Thanks Sruon. Appreciate the input.

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by Kawfee View Post
    Not gonna take the time to price shop around to compare against you, but just from a cursory glance, $2k sounds ridiculous for all of that. As I just posted in response to someone above, about two months ago I bought a i7-930, decent performance x58 evga mobo, and that same 6GB OCZ RAM, for about $550. If that case, soundcard, graphics card, SSD, HD, BD, and OS add up to $1500, seems like something isn't quite right.

HD's are cheap, I don't personally see any need for an SSD, nor for a soundcard given the high quality most X58 mobos have. Also not sure why you picked Win 7 Pro vs. Home Premium. Also you are missing a Power Supply (unless the case comes with one/you already have one/etc).
    Yeah, I didn't price shop. That price was if I bought everything from newegg.com and also turned in the rebates, ect.

The 80gb SSD is 220, and it is primarily to be a boot drive and also home for the main game I play (FFXIV or WoW). <-- cheapest Intel SSD (of the 80gb, 40gb is half this price)
    The 1TB HD is 90, and is the main storage for everything. <--- Found one for $80, $10 cheaper.
    i7 920 is 300. <-- I found on portatech.com for 225, 75 cheaper.
    Mobo is 200. <-- I found this to be the cheapest on the web.
    Video is 400. <-- Cheapest on the web is 390, $10 cheaper.
    Sound is 80. <-- $76, $4 cheaper. Maybe not needed at all.
    Case is 350. <-- newegg is all i can find for this one.
    Memory is 165. <-- cheapest I found (for specific brand/model)
    Heatsink is 75.
    BluRay is 80.
    Artic Silver 5 is 10.

I got W7 Pro 64 for $30 because I am a univ. student. As for the PSU, I have one but I am not sure if I need to replace it. I think its an Antec Earthwatts 650w, but I am not positive about the wattage. Its been a few years, so I need to look at it when I get home.

This is all newegg prices.

Edit:

http://www.pricewatch.com/

I am using Price Watch to find cheaper prices.

If it wasn't for the damn case (which is beautiful and great, but expensive, but also an investment because I'll be able to reuse it for lord knows how long), I would only be paying $1650, and I could really drop that even lower by just cutting out the sound card and SSD, which would make it $1350. I might just cut out the sound card anyway, but I def. want the SSD. Maybe I'll get the 40gb version for half the price, with that and the soundcard dropped I'd save $200.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

If you've got the money to burn, I guess more power to you.
    My thoughts:
    • Personally I'd ditch the SSD and save myself $220, from my understanding you're saving mere seconds on boot time, negligible performance boost in game load times, and there's a possibility of hardware deterioration from over use as SSD technology isn't quite there for constant HD use yet.
    • You can get an i7-930 for $199, saving $100 (here: http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0331303).
    • I'd ask yourself if the performance of a $400 video card is really worth having 50-60 FPS in a DX11 game vs. the 40-50 FPS a $230 card could get you (the GTX260, example here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/n...the-200-king/8).
    • I'd ditch the soundcard as your motherboard already has 8-channel audio with 6 different port outputs including digital coax and fiber optic surround sound (are you even hooking it up to surround sound?).
    • I don't really understand the benefit of the $350 case you selected over a $100 antec 900 case, aside from maybe weight and usb 3.0 on the front ports (meh).
    • You can get that same memory at microcenter (http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0301254) when you get the i7-930 for only $130.

I realize your selections are enthusiast selections, and I'm not knocking them. I'm just saying, take a minute to walk away from FFXIV mania for a few, and decide if the 10% performance gain (in HD and Video and ...case? while technically I gave you a CPU upgrade, actually) is worth the $800 you'd save buying the stuff I just listed.

If it's worth it to you and you have the cash to blow, feel free.

SPOONY BeARD
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Dakin Reyes
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Been looking at parts to build a rig the past few weeks, got a q about CPU.

core i3 530 vs phenom ii x4 955

Will I be disappointed in the i3 (it's $45 cheaper)? I know the phenom ii x4 is faster stock, but I plan to OC the i3.

GPU is XFX radeon 5770 HD, g.skill ddr3 1600 ram.

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by Kawfee View Post
    If you've got the money to burn, I guess more power to you.
    My thoughts:
    • Personally I'd ditch the SSD and save myself $220, from my understanding you're saving mere seconds on boot time, negligible performance boost in game load times, and there's a possibility of hardware deterioration from over use as SSD technology isn't quite there for constant HD use yet.
    • You can get an i7-930 for $199, saving $100 (here: http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0331303).
    • I'd ask yourself if the performance of a $400 video card is really worth having 50-60 FPS in a DX11 game vs. the 40-50 FPS a $230 card could get you (the GTX260, example here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/n...the-200-king/8).
    • I'd ditch the soundcard as your motherboard already has 8-channel audio with 6 different port outputs including digital coax and fiber optic surround sound (are you even hooking it up to surround sound?).
    • I don't really understand the benefit of the $350 case you selected over a $100 antec 900 case, aside from maybe weight and usb 3.0 on the front ports (meh).
    • You can get that same memory at microcenter (http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0301254) when you get the i7-930 for only $130.

I realize your selections are enthusiast selections, and I'm not knocking them. I'm just saying, take a minute to walk away from FFXIV mania for a few, and decide if the 10% performance gain (in HD and Video and ...case? while technically I gave you a CPU upgrade, actually) is worth the $800 you'd save buying the stuff I just listed.

If it's worth it to you and you have the cash to blow, feel free.
    That microcenter site is sweet. I didn't see that on price watch when I looked up those items. That is way cheaper for the cpu/ram. Thanks! The mobo is still $10 cheaper at newegg, and it didn't look like I had to buy them all together at microcenter.

As for the case, ssd, and graphics card, the system is not just for FFXIV. The case is extremely nice quality (tool-less, aluminum, spacious, stylish, black), and I want it for future system builds. I think its pretty classic looking and will age well (not look tacky later). So its an investment for sure.

The SSD I just want for booting and for basic apps like firefox, adobe, winamp, vlc, ect. I am going to get the 40gb instead since that should hold windows 7 and apps. Saves me $120.

I'll cut out the sound card saving me $80, and I just through it on there because I was already at 1,900 so I was like fuck it $80 more. I didn't know onboard sound was that good on x58.

So you've saved me $300 (cpu/ram/soundcard/ssd). You're awesome!

(video card i am torn on because i dont want to replace it for a while but i know i'll have to eventually)

edit:

lame, microcenter is pick-up only for the CPU and no stores in Oregon.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Regalis View Post
    This is my setup according to xfire. My rig is over 2 years old and I was wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to play XIV. I have a budget of few hundred dollars. Trying to see if its worth it to upgrade a few parts, get a new PC/Laptop/Custom Desktop or even a PS3. I'd prefer staying on PC tho.

I run FFXI at 1440x900 resolution. And I am happy with it thus far.

Currently, my benchmark is around 800 on low settings. I wasn't able to see the score on high settings due to the window being bigger than my monitor. I'd assume its around 500 or less on high settings.

-Is it worth it to upgrade the CPU? Low End, Middle End, and High End CPU?
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why you can't just upgrade from a really slow processor to a pretty slow processor. The motherboard should support up to Athlon 64 X2 4800+, according to gigabyte's website. That being said, I can't seem to find any 4800s at a reasonable price, as they seem to have been discontinued. You can still find some 4400+s for around $40 if you google shop search the model: ADO4400IAA5DU

It's only 2.3 ghz, but that SHOULD be enough to barely run ffxiv. And you'd only have to pay $40-45.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Ok so i'm not that good with PC's and i'm about to order parts, i'm pretty sure this setup will get me at least medium graphics, total cost is around $750

3.1GHz AMD Phenom II X2 550
    6MB L3 Cache
    6GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    Radeon 5750

What do you guys think?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by person2007 View Post
    Ok so i'm not that good with PC's and i'm about to order parts, i'm pretty sure this setup will get me at least medium graphics, total cost is around $750

3.1GHz AMD Phenom II X2 550
    6MB L3 Cache
    6GB RAM
    1TB HDD
    Radeon 5750

What do you guys think?
    Have you seen this thread:

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95844

I'm not sure where your prices or his prices came from, but if you check the guy's more finalized configuration towards the end, he quotes a better system at just under $600.

FFXIV System Requirements

Hey whats up guys new to the website but i have a queston for u all and hope u could help me out. Im not great with computers in fact i know little about them but i want to know if my computer will be able to handle the new FF and what changes i will have to make. Bought it off a friend for $500.

System Information.

Windows XP Pro. ver 5.1.2006

System Type- X86 Based PC

Processor- AMD Sempron 3100+ (1808 Mhz not sure what this is?)

Graphics Card- NiVidia Ge Force 7900 GS

Total Virtual Mem- 2.00 GB

Available Physical mem- 336.73 GB

Also not sure how to find Disck space Available please if anyone can help get this stuff sorted out it would be a huge help thanks, Kevin.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Metafox View Post
    Have you seen this thread:

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95844

I'm not sure where your prices or his prices came from, but if you check the guy's more finalized configuration towards the end, he quotes a better system at just under $600.
    Thanks i'll give it a read. Sucks being on a budget, just wish i could make myself a monster PC haha

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Pluged View Post
    Hey whats up guys new to the website but i have a queston for u all and hope u could help me out. Im not great with computers in fact i know little about them but i want to know if my computer will be able to handle the new FF and what changes i will have to make. Bought it off a friend for $500.

System Information.

Windows XP Pro. ver 5.1.2006

System Type- X86 Based PC

Processor- AMD Sempron 3100+ (1808 Mhz not sure what this is?)

Graphics Card- NiVidia Ge Force 7900 GS

Total Virtual Mem- 2.00 GB

Available Physical mem- 336.73 GB

Also not sure how to find Disck space Available please if anyone can help get this stuff sorted out it would be a huge help thanks, Kevin.
    Short answer: No way. Also I hope you bought it for 500$ 6 years ago cause you can get a better computer then that for 500$ today.

1) The processor is a single core running at 1.8Ghz, FFXIV minimum requirements state 2.0GHz dual core. (missing a core + at least .2GHz)

2) Graphics card is listed as 256MB of v.ram FFXIV requires 512 Minimum, not to mention the card is very old and chances are wont support the game even if you had the GTX version. (too old chances are drivers wont support the game, missing at least 256MB)

3) Virtual Memory = Ram is 2GB just barely hits the minimum requirements (more is better)

4) Physical Memory = HDD 336.7GB is more then enough to install FFXIV though it will never run. (only thing that really passes fine.)

Edit: For your sake I hope you're trolling.

Edit2: I was just at frys today checking out laptops, i found a few that hit the minimum requirements for about 850-1200$ Desktops you can find cheaper.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

You sure it's a friend? Cause that computer is well, how to put it, shit.

Yea thats messed up i thought he was a friend known him since i was like 4. But geez now i gotta invest like 500 more just to get it compatable or wait till the ps3 version comes out not going to be as good obv. Oh and one more thing would it be wiser of me to keep this computer replacing the processor and graphics card and wat not. or going out and buying a whole new computer. kinda feel like breaking his windows too if ya know what i mean lol.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Thinking of going with Gainwards Goes like Hell GTX 460. Looks to be a beast of card, and priced reasonably well.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by Pluged View Post
    Yea thats messed up i thought he was a friend known him since i was like 4. But geez now i gotta invest like 500 more just to get it compatable or wait till the ps3 version comes out not going to be as good obv. Oh and one more thing would it be wiser of me to keep this computer replacing the processor and graphics card and wat not. or going out and buying a whole new computer. kinda feel like breaking his windows too if ya know what i mean lol.
    Get a new computer from the ground up. You will have to replace everything anyways. I would get your money back and get a nice set up for 800-1000. Being at the minimum requirements is not really the best thing. Aim for a little more on everything to be safe.

Aight I hear ya. prolly gonna sell my ps3 and this shit computer then put forth some. but u know any good websites that got good deals. Im currently looking at iBuyPower.com and it looks like they got some good gaming computers on sale. not sure if its in my best interest tho to buy a gaming computer or a regular destktop that fits a more wide range aspects. like online stuff and watever. And still support games. well hoping to hear back from ya. Thanks and like i said i dont really know shit about computers so all the adive ur giving helps.

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by Metafox View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see why you can't just upgrade from a really slow processor to a pretty slow processor. The motherboard should support up to Athlon 64 X2 4800+, according to gigabyte's website. That being said, I can't seem to find any 4800s at a reasonable price, as they seem to have been discontinued. You can still find some 4400+s for around $40 if you google shop search the model: ADO4400IAA5DU

It's only 2.3 ghz, but that SHOULD be enough to barely run ffxiv. And you'd only have to pay $40-45.
    Funny. I was actually trying to explain earlier to a friend that I can't just upgrade my CPU. Most of the newer CPUs are completely different sockets. Mine is 939. And as you pointed out, it seems they are discontinued. And I'm taking your word for it on the Athlon 64 X2. I tried to look for them as well on Newegg and was unsuccessful. I'll try and search for it as you suggested but I am a little skeptical. Especially if it's a "should work".

I did stumble across this on newegg, however its way out of my price range. Apparently I can't post links yet. (gogoforumnoob) It's the below combo.
    1. Intel BX80601960: $569.99
    2. EVGA 132-GT-E768-KR: $249.99
    Combo Discount: -$24.99
    Combo Price: $794.99

I was wondering if any of the CPU/Mobo combos around $200-400 would successfully run XIV. I'd assume so. But I'd like to know if I'm not missing out too much by going $400 cheaper. I have been out of the loop as far as computer technology goes so I don't know what I'm looking at exactly. I can only really speculate.

Also I'd like to add that it doesn't include my RAM which I believe are all 1G DDR2 PC3200 x4. I'd assume that these can run UP TO DDR3, so that includes everything below it? I don't know for sure tho. Or am I screwed and need to just replace those as well?

Thanks for the input Metafox. Much Appriciated.