1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 18 hours, 30 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 5 hours, 29 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 1 days, 11 hours, 30 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 22 hours, 29 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 102 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast

Hm hm..

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I've got a miscellaneous question: I'm trying to figure out what kind of psu I'll need and I'm having trouble with the gpu. I want to start with a gtx 470 and upgrade to an SLI setup sometime in the future, so I want a psu that will support two cards. ibuypower.com and "extreme power supply calculator" (http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine) recommend 850 watts at most, but various reviews say that the 470 alone uses over 400 watts. Should I still believe those psu requirement calculators? I don't see how two 400+ watt gpus plus the rest of my system could add up to 850 watts.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

I will sell my one of my kidneys if a single GTX 470 can really pull 400w by itself.

For a SLI set up, especially with the Fermis 470 and 480 models, 850w minimum. Not at most, minimum.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by bluefan View Post
    I will sell my one of my kidneys if a single GTX 470 can really pull 400w by itself.

For a SLI set up, especially with the Fermis 470 and 480 models, 850w minimum. Not at most, minimum.
    Thanks, I was aiming for a 1000 watt, so I'm just glad I don't have to bump it up to a 1200 watt. As for the 400 watt thing, there were a couple reviews that claimed that the 470 used around 400 watts at full load, and there's a video on the page here:http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...0_sli_review/7

I guess I'm missing something?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Metafox View Post
    I've got a miscellaneous question: I'm trying to figure out what kind of psu I'll need and I'm having trouble with the gpu. I want to start with a gtx 470 and upgrade to an SLI setup sometime in the future, so I want a psu that will support two cards. ibuypower.com and "extreme power supply calculator" (http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine) recommend 850 watts at most, but various reviews say that the 470 alone uses over 400 watts. Should I still believe those psu requirement calculators? I don't see how two 400+ watt gpus plus the rest of my system could add up to 850 watts.
    Spoiler: show
    From the pics I found, 470 uses 2x 8 pins.

8 pin = 150W, so 2x8= 300W + PCie port 75W = 375W per card, x2 = 750W + 100-120W for CPU + 2W per HDD + 2.5W per USB and apply a 20% factor for heat loss (if taking a 80+ PSU, which you should) = what you need roughly.

Though I'm not even sure it's ever gonna draw that much. 8 pins is only 2 more ground cables over a 6 pin, and 6 pin is limited to 75W... so yeah.

Edit: or not, 6 pins x2, blurry pics can go die.

75Wx2=150W+75W=225W per card, x2= 450W + 120W for CPU= 680W + let's say 20W for random shits= 700W x20% = 840W minimum on a 80+

PS: I watched that video, it's taken at the wall which includes everything else in the PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Gokulo View Post
    Doesn't matter where it's located. You need to have at least 12GB free on the partition with My Documents.
    Well there is more than enough space then. The hell is wrong, lol. I checked the XIV site and I meet all the requirements to run the game, have the space, etc etc.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro View Post
    Anyone else getting the installation error? Can't even INSTALL the game because apparently I don't have enough free disk space (which I do many times over).
    Are you running Windows XP 64-bit? Because if you are that's a known installation issue, and there's no way around it except installing on a different OS or machine and copying the files over(IIRC).

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Metafox View Post
    Thanks, I was aiming for a 1000 watt, so I'm just glad I don't have to bump it up to a 1200 watt. As for the 400 watt thing, there were a couple reviews that claimed that the 470 used around 400 watts at full load, and there's a video on the page here:http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/...0_sli_review/7

I guess I'm missing something?
    HardOCP always fails to mention they measure from the wall socket. It's one thing I and many others have always told them to clarify, cause a lot of their reviews causes a bit of confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by darkblade77 View Post
    Are you running Windows XP 64-bit? Because if you are that's a known installation issue, and there's no way around it except installing on a different OS or machine and copying the files over(IIRC).
    Goddamnit. ;_;

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by xerodok View Post
    Yesterday my beta ran like shit;

Q6600 Quad @ 2.4 (Dell BIOS)
    4GB RAM
    ATI Radeon HD 5750

Got a 2800 on the benchmark, ran like shit when I was playing yesterday, definitely seemed like video lag.

Any opinions? I don't really have many upgrade options that I'm aware of.
    With a 5750 can't say I'm surprised. The 5770 is pretty synonymous with my 4870 (which stutters pretty good with a lot of people around, can't hit the 30 fps cap out solo), and the 50 is going to be a bit under that. No one seems to want to believe the game requires beefy vidya powa if you want to run well.

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

ATI cards had a stutter issue in the last beta run. I know the official beta forums are littered with crap, but they do have topics that are worth a read. Nvidia cards also had a slight stutter issue and also suffered from invisible characters, both NPC and PC.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

So Im presently running intel core 2 duo @ 2.33, XP, nvidea 8600 at 256mb(sucks) and 3 gigs of ram. Benchmarks brings me in at 500. I played beta, choppy but it ran.

Question is will bringing in a better video card hold me off till ps3 release, this would be my lowest cost fix, next step up would be a new build.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgie View Post
    So Im presently running intel core 2 duo @ 2.33, XP, nvidea 8600 at 256mb(sucks) and 3 gigs of ram. Benchmarks brings me in at 500. I played beta, choppy but it ran.

Question is will bringing in a better video card hold me off till ps3 release, this would be my lowest cost fix, next step up would be a new build.
    A friend of mine with AMD x3/3GB ram/9800GT ran it with no issues, so I guess a 9800GT(also called GTS250) card for around 100$ should do.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer View Post
    A friend of mine with AMD x3/3GB ram/9800GT ran it with no issues, so I guess a 9800GT(also called GTS250) card for around 100$ should do.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125277

what about this card 45$ after rebate.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I'd get at least a HD 4850. They aren't too pricey anymore at all.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

About finished building a computer, need to pick a card. How's the GTX 460? I hear it's great on OCing.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno McDohl View Post
    About finished building a computer, need to pick a card. How's the GTX 460? I hear it's great on OCing.
    Get the 1GB version. Details: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3809/n...the-200-king/8 for $230
    Or, get a GTX470 for $270 (sale ends today), from Newegg; possibly cheaper to get it from Tigerdirect (by a bit, also depends which state you're in and which of those retailers will charge you tax). Full details on the deals are in the official benchmark thread, the last few pages of it.
    ATI 5850 is slightly better than the 460, but still priced at $300 (can expect that to fall in the near future).

Nikkei's Hoe
    Worse than her at uno

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Eanae Hikari
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

My dual 2.4 (E2220) and Radeon 4850 was completely unplayable in game. The amount of lag I had once I hit the first town and leveling field was unbearable. The benchmark for the high and the low came out to about the same score (1200) which seemed unusual. I just ordered a GTX 460 which is at my house and ready for me to install when I get back from vacation tomorrow. Anyone been playing with a dual 2.4 and a good GPU have any in game (not benchmark) experience? I don't mind meh settings as long as the game is actually playable.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I'm playing with a macbook pro from early 2008. intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz, geforce 8600m gt, 4gb memory... i have all the settings to low and the buffer to 3/4th. it doesn't look good, but it makes it playable with some stuttering.

the benchmark gave me like a 520.

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Eanae View Post
    My dual 2.4 (E2220) and Radeon 4850 was completely unplayable in game. The amount of lag I had once I hit the first town and leveling field was unbearable. The benchmark for the high and the low came out to about the same score (1200) which seemed unusual. I just ordered a GTX 460 which is at my house and ready for me to install when I get back from vacation tomorrow. Anyone been playing with a dual 2.4 and a good GPU have any in game (not benchmark) experience? I don't mind meh settings as long as the game is actually playable.

My second build with E6550 (2.6) and GTX260 ran alpha pretty decently (definitly playable), I just reinstalled it so I haven't tested beta yet.

Benchmark gives me like 2500 on low