1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 19 hours, 12 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 4 hours, 47 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 12 hours, 12 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 3 days, 21 hours, 47 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 102 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 ... LastLast

I took your guys advice and built a new Comp. Put some money into the thing but heres what it looks like i should be good for a while...

CoolMaster HAF 932

Gigabyte x58aud3r
    Intel i7 930
    3x2GB Rip Jaws DDR3
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 TB 1.5 SATA
    Radeon 5770 Jupiter XT

anything outa place havent put it together yet waiting for PSU
    oh and are the people from BETA gonna be able to keep their charecter and stats or will they have to start agien once the official game comes out??

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I've read a few of these pages but rather than read through the rest I'm just looking for a "Yeah, your good" or a "No, wtf are you thinking" response to my build. Here it is:

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-930 quad-core [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
    • 9GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [5 DIMMs] from 8GB
    • 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 750GB
    • 2GB ATI Radeon HD 5570 [DVI,HDMI, DP, VGA adapter]

Thanks in advance.
    (Audria (Retired) from Bahamut)

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I've read a few of these pages but rather than read through the rest I'm just looking for a "Yeah, your good" or a "No, wtf are you thinking" response to my build. Here it is:

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-930 quad-core [2.8GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache]
    • 9GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [5 DIMMs] from 8GB
    • 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 750GB
    • 2GB ATI Radeon HD 5570 [DVI,HDMI, DP, VGA adapter]

Thanks in advance.
    (Audria (Retired) from Bahamut)
    Everything looks fine except for the graphics card. THe 5570 is pretty much equivalent to 8800 GTS. So you're just hovering around the minimum specs with that card. if your going to get that build try to upgrate the graphics card to to 5770/5850/5870 or GTX 460/470/480 if your Mobo and PSU support it.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Soap View Post
    Everything looks fine except for the graphics card. THe 5570 is pretty much equivalent to 8800 GTS. So you're just hovering around the minimum specs with that card. if your going to get that build try to upgrate the graphics card to to 5770/5850/5870 or GTX 460/470/480 if your Mobo and PSU support it.
    Thanks for the response. The video card I selected was the highest available for the custom build. I'll have to buy it separate I guess if I have to go that route.

Unique and/or Creative Phrase
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Thanks for the response. The video card I selected was the highest available for the custom build. I'll have to buy it separate I guess if I have to go that route.
    Why don't you just buy all your parts off of newegg? You'll probably save some money, and learn how to put together a comp/upgrade it in the process.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Chaossamurai View Post
    Why don't you just buy all your parts off of newegg? You'll probably save some money, and learn how to put together a comp/upgrade it in the process.
    I was going to do it myself but since I work for a credit union at the moment, I get an employee discount plus the loan is interest free so I just went that route. It ended up being cheaper than buying everything separate.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

This is the build I've come up with for XIV. Any criticism is welcome.

Asus P6T SE Mobo
    i7 920 (OC'd to 4Ghz)
    12GB (6x2GB) Corsair XMS3
    EVGA GTX480

Going to use Windows 7 Ultimate x64, will use my VelociRaptor from my current machine until I can afford some decent SSD's in RAID0.

Also from what I've read the 480's produce a lot of heat on stock, so I'll most likely invest in an after market fan.

P.S I'm going to be using the Noctua NH-D14 heatsink for the 920.

You can save some money by dropping that 12 GB of ram down to 6. Shouldn't need more than that unless you're looking to do some video editting and/or use other memory intensive programs. Besides XIV what do you plan on using the PC for?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nours Sruon
    FFXIV Server
    Moogle
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

What he said, very solid build otherwise.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Myth View Post
    You can save some money by dropping that 12 GB of ram down to 6. Shouldn't need more than that unless you're looking to do some video editting and/or use other memory intensive programs. Besides XIV what do you plan on using the PC for?
    SW:ToR, Photoshop/Illustrator (CS5) and music production with the likes of Cubase 5.1.

Oh, most likely other games too, the new Medal of Honor etc

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Panacea View Post
    Also from what I've read the 480's produce a lot of heat on stock, so I'll most likely invest in an after market fan.
    Do they make aftermarket gpu fans for a 470 or 480? I was trying to find one before, but everything out there seemed to be a few years old (and therefore didn't claim to support anything in the 400 series). I did find a manufacturer that got excellent reviews by making a custom-cooled 470, but they don't make an equivalent 480.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Metafox View Post
    Do they make aftermarket gpu fans for a 470 or 480? I was trying to find one before, but everything out there seemed to be a few years old (and therefore didn't claim to support anything in the 400 series). I did find a manufacturer that got excellent reviews by making a custom-cooled 470, but they don't make an equivalent 480.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxWVgYRv-M

I think there are a few more too, there isn't that many but they have slowly started getting released.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Which one is better for ffxiv?
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-930 quad-core [2.8GHz with gtx 460
    or
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE with hd 5850

i won't be overclocking
    Thanks

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Purrrfect Lee
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Pretty even I think.

F5 Like A Boss.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuroki Kaze
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Twisting Nether

Even with all the software you're going to be running; you wont need 12GB, Panacea. DDR3 Tri Channel kits are still stupid overpriced at the moment. Save that cash and put towards other things, ya?

Strongly recommend to drop that down to 6GB. I guarantee you're never gonna be in a situation where you'll say "Fuck I need more RAM."

So i walk into Best Buy to look at computers with my wife. We get to the Desktop isle and not a goddamn single unit there could run FF14. So i did some checking (we live in a town with about 35,000 people) and there wasn't a single store that was selling anything powerful enough to run the game.

Im not sure what my point is besides the need to bitch, but isan't it pretty ridiculous that the specs needed to run this game are so far above and beyond the normal family computer?

FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FOR FUCKS' SAKE !!!
    FUCK FUCK FUCK

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Faxanadu View Post
    So i walk into Best Buy to look at computers with my wife. We get to the Desktop isle and not a goddamn single unit there could run FF14. So i did some checking (we live in a town with about 35,000 people) and there wasn't a single store that was selling anything powerful enough to run the game.

Im not sure what my point is besides the need to bitch, but isan't it pretty ridiculous that the specs needed to run this game are so far above and beyond the normal family computer?
    Not really. They probably even can't run the latest PC games all that well either. The minimum specs are actually pretty lenient IMO.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I do think it's bad how current generation games are trending toward mostly high-specs PCs onry, and leaving the 'casual' PCs behind in the dust. I guess it's their way of staying corporate and forcing people to shell out even more money.

Quote Originally Posted by bahumat2jz View Post
    Which one is better for ffxiv?
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-930 quad-core [2.8GHz with gtx 460
    or
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE with hd 5850

i won't be overclocking
    Thanks
    At stock clocks the 5850 should beat the 460. but with some overclocking the 460 is one heck of a deal.

Feel free to correct me.

That aside... I'm an intel fanboy, I'd go with an i5 and 5850 over PII x4/5850.

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

460 really, really shouldn't be compared to the 5850 I feel. It's meant to compete with the 5830, really.