1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 36 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 24 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 1 hours, 36 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 8 hours, 24 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 102 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast

Well that's news to me. Do they usually come out with the big power hitters first(like this gen's 295/4890) or do those come later?

Tamale Baby
    Groundskeeper of the House of Weave

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

seemed like to me 295's were hybrid 260's/270's smashed together.

hope this is correct since i have 2 of them expensive fucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trojin View Post
    seemed like to me 295's were hybrid 260's/270's smashed together.

hope this is correct since i have 2 of them expensive fucks.
    GTX295 is 2xGTX260 which is "2x overclocked 9800 as i said" actually GTX260 is like 10~15% faster than 8800GTX/8800Ultra only which was released at late 2006/early 2007......

they are limited by the architecture itself. there will never be huge boost till new GEN of graphic arrive which is the end of this year

Don't take my words for it, charts speak for there self

Charts, benchmarks Gaming Graphics Cards Charts 2009 (High Quality), Fallout 3

It's clear GTX295 = Overclocked 9800 GX2
    GTX260 = Overclocked 9800/8800 ultra
    9800 = overclocked 8800

you can just imagine how huge of a graphic jump was 8800 when it was launched "ahead of it's time", same going to happen with GTX 380

I'm not saying all these cards are as powerful as each other, all what I'm saying all what we are getting is like 10% boost every year, but when 8800 came, 8800 Ultra alone a single GPU were more powerful than 7950 GTX "which was strongest single card from the previous gen" by 200% now that's a huge insane graphic boost, what they do is build a tough gpu and enhance it's watt usage/size/heat etc for the next 2-3 years and maybe overclock it a little bit here and here when they reduce chips NM since it allow them to overclock it.

Quote Originally Posted by 100percentile View Post
    Well that's news to me. Do they usually come out with the big power hitters first(like this gen's 295/4890) or do those come later?
    According to nvidia they will release their powerful cards first at 2009 nov/dec and mainstream mid-range cards to follow at 2010 Q1

Freelancer

My pc died on me a few days before FFXIV was announced so~

I'm building an I7 PC ad praying that I'll be able to max out the stat on the game when its out.

(Don't disappoint me, GTX 260 core 216 SLI!)

Tamale Baby

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

oh sorry you mean 9800gx2's i thought you were saying 9800gt/gtx lol got ya

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

My understanding, which may be wrong, is that a lot of the graphics in FFXI are processed at the server. People had asked if more of that could be done on their local machines, but SE that was not possible as it went to the heart of some of the game design decisions.

So, questions:
    • Is client side graphics processing possible?
    • Is it likely in FFXIV?
    • How will that impact hardware requirements?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by McGoonagle View Post
    My understanding, which may be wrong, is that a lot of the graphics in FFXI are processed at the server. People had asked if more of that could be done on their local machines, but SE that was not possible as it went to the heart of some of the game design decisions.

So, questions:
    • Is client side graphics processing possible?
    • Is it likely in FFXIV?
    • How will that impact hardware requirements?
    This doesn't make any sense to me, all graphics should be processed client-side, in pretty much every game, ever. That is what your hardware requirements are for. It would be ridiculous for the server to process the graphics for everyone.

Pied Piper of the Homos
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Wow. So yea when is 14 supposed to be released? End of '10? Why are there so many of these threads? Why start setting yourselves up for disappointment early?

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by Milkster View Post
    Wow. So yea when is 14 supposed to be released? End of '10? Why are there so many of these threads? Why start setting yourselves up for disappointment early?
    To pre-plan possible system configurations for the purpose of preparing ourselves for the cost of building such a system. In addition to educating ourselves on current and future hardware.

At least, that is the point for myself on speculating hardware.

"A GTX295 is two overclocked 9800GTX" ?

Just shoot me now.

Again not interested in arguing here, just putting the message out there to anyone who is reading that to disregard all of this info as pretty much nothing is correct.

Or don't, it's up to you :D Anyone seeking clarification for their own benefit is welcome to PM contact.

Vuitton

Quote Originally Posted by Xello View Post
    "A GTX295 is two overclocked 9800GTX" ?

Just shoot me now.

Again not interested in arguing here, just putting the message out there to anyone who is reading that to disregard all of this info as pretty much nothing is correct.

Or don't, it's up to you :D Anyone seeking clarification for their own benefit is welcome to PM contact.
    Yeah, I agree. In regards to the bold text quoted above, I believe that may have been a misunderstanding on the part of the poster. I found a review of the GTX 295 in which it stated:

GeForce GTX 295 Performance: Previewed : Introduction - Review Tom's Hardware
    The GeForce GTX 295 is Nvidia’s answer to AMD’s Radeon HD 4870 X2, and it employs a similar construction as the company’s GeForce 9800 GX2.
    However, a more accurate and detailed explanation of what the GTX 295 is can be found on the next page of that review:

GeForce GTX 295, Dissected - Review Tom's Hardware : GeForce GTX 295 Performance: Previewed
    Initial speculation was that the GeForce GTX 295 would consist of two GT200s in a configuration that’d emulate a pair of GTX 260s. In all actuality, the card boasts a pair of full-strength GT200s with 240 processing cores each and a more GTX 260-like back-end/memory configuration.

The original GT200 was a 1.4 billion transistor behemoth manufactured using TSMC’s 65 nm node. The version of the chip GeForce GTX 295 employs is die-shrunk to 55 nm. As part of the transition, Nvidia’s Jason Paul claims the company has also made silicon timing changes to improve performance per watt, which should manifest themselves in our discussion of power consumption.

Like the GeForce GTX 280, each GPU on the GTX 295 has, as mentioned, 240 SPs and 80 texture address/filtering units. But, like the GTX 260, the same 295’s GPUs include seven ROP/framebuffer partitions to total 28 ROPs and an aggregate 448-bit path to 896 MB of GDDR3. Vital clocks are also in-line with the GeForce GTX 260. The core clock, including texture/ROPs, runs at 576 MHz. The stream processors run at 1,242 MHz. And the memory runs at 999 MHz (1,998 MHz effective). As you can see, each chip is architecturally right between Nvidia’s fastest and second-fastest ASICs.
    and

At first glance, the GeForce GTX 295 looks like it could be a 280 or 260. When you flip it onto its stomach and look at the PCB on its back side, it’s clear there is only one GPU there. Like the 9800 GX2 and 7950 GX2 that came before it, this board centers on a dual-PCB design that sandwiches a special heatsink/blower combination between two separate graphics boards linked by an SLI cable and encased in a protective shell.

Naturally, the design of the cooler must be adapted to take the pair of PCBs into account, so you’ll see holes cut in both boards for air to be sucked through. The complete card occupies two expansion slots of space, so it isn’t any wider than Nvidia’s single-chip offerings. In fact, it’s also the same length as the GeForce GTX 280 (and AMD’s Radeon HD 4870 X2).
    So, while it may appear that the GTX 295 resembles the GTX 280 and 9800 GX2, it is in fact a pair of hybrid GTX 200s with similarities to the GTX 260. I suggest anyone curious about the GTX 295 read all 11 pages of this review.

Tamale Baby

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

see that is what i have been reading even before i bought these 2
    when they first came out >< i should have waited for the 300's

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Perhaps you can answer this question for me:
    My motherboard has 2 PCIe x16 slots. Currently I have a 8800GTS in there (1), and I'm looking to upgrade to either 1 or 2 cards, depending on price.

It looks like the GT200 series are "PCIe 2.0 x16". Will those cards work in my motherboard (It's an EVGA nforce n680i)? I'm assuming no, there's no driver updates or anything like that to make PCIe 2.0 work in PCIe.
    Haven't really looked into upgrading any computer components since I built this one about 2.5 years ago, I've never seen the term PCIe 2.0 before.

Tamale Baby

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

i would say no.
    just upgrade to the 780i its what i had when i was running a 260

Vuitton

see that is what i have been reading even before i bought these 2
    when they first came out >< i should have waited for the 300's
    You still have the best card on the market, and you have two of them. So, I think you're fine. (I am assuming you have 2 GTX 295s.)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

i would say no.
    just upgrade to the 780i its what i had when i was running a 260
    Well, replacing an entire motherboard requires me to disassemble my entire computer, hmm, no thanks.
    However, after looking over some stuff, it looks like PCIe 2.0 cards will work in PCIe 1.x slots, with "select issues with 1.0a interfaces". Can't figure out if the EVGA PCIe x16 is 1.1, or 1.0a, something else...

EDIT: Also found this
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    PCI Express 2.0

PCI-SIG announced the availability of the PCI Express Base 2.0 specification on 15 January 2007.[17] PCIe 2.0 doubles the bus standard's bandwidth from 0.25 GByte/s to 0.5 GByte/s, meaning a ×32 connector can transfer data at up to 16 GByte/s for both videocards (SLI 2×, etc.). PCIe 2.0 has two 32-bit channels for each GPU (2×16), while the first version only has 1×16 and is operating at 2 GHz.

PCIe 2.0 motherboard slots are backward compatible with PCIe v1.x. PCIe 2.0 cards have good backward compatibility, new PCIe 2.0 graphics cards are compatible with PCIe 1.1 motherboards, meaning that they will run on them using the available bandwidth of PCI Express 1.1. Overall, graphic cards or motherboards designed for v 2.0 will be able to work with the other being v 1.1 or v 1.0.
    So I'm going to assume they work, can always exchange it if it doesn't.

Now to figure out if buying more RAM that is 5-5-5-18/1.8v is compatible with my existing 4-4-4-12/2.1v RAM........sigh.

Tamale Baby

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Vuitton View Post
    You still have the best card on the market, and you have two of them. So, I think you're fine. (I am assuming you have 2 GTX 295s.)
    yes i do and i still drool over them

so this thread is really about epeen pc specs? and has nothing to do with any sort of real info on ffxiv?

Tamale Baby

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

don't diss the e-peen.
    but yeah we should get back on topic.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by quannum View Post
    so this thread is really about epeen pc specs? and has nothing to do with any sort of real info on ffxiv?
    You honest expect anything else from a thread like this when "no" info about the game has been revealed aside 4 screen shots and a meshed CG/real time trailer? lol

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 102 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 58 ... LastLast