• Navigation
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

My new AT&T DSL is retardedly slow. Advice?

Seriously it took forever just to load the speedtest site.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/534866610.png
    Just hooked it up - does it tend to get faster after being on a few days? Test was run probably 15 minutes after hookup.

This is dreadful

I'm paying for the fastest service offered in my building, which is just 1.5MB down, 384 kbps up.

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Try calling AT&T and telling them your speed is shit.

You live in Hollywood though don't you? Crowded as hell. The more people using a DSL connection in a neighborhood, the shittier it is. Get cable (or optimally fiber) if calling AT&T doesn't help you out.

Also don't forget that the 1.5Mb connection is likely advertised as megabit, not megabyte. Meaning your 1.5mbit connection is actually around 187 KB/s.

BG Level

I'm actually in Koreatown now (like 3 blocks from Hollywood). AT&T DSL is my only option, can't get cable TV or Internet (have satellite) - no FiOS either.

This is really fucking terrible.

It's this: AT&T High Speed Internet Express

Downstream Speed: Up to 1.5 Mbps
    Upstream Speed: Up to 384 Kbps
    IP Address: 1 Dynamic
    - that should be megabytes right?

Pandemonium
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

It should be, but almost every ISP advertises in megabits and not megabytes. Just sayin. AT&T doesn't seem to say which one it is.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I'm having extremely bad lag on my AT&T DSL right now, started at about the same time you posted this thread. I'm about an hour north of Hollywood. Here's what my SpeedTest gives me. >< Maybe it's just AT&T?
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/534888574.png

Edit: Seemed to clear itself up just now after posting this. But the last 30 minutes something was definitely not working as intended.

True skill only comes from macro switching all your e-peen gear thru 10 pages
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

No that's not megabytes. In terminology when they use the lower case "b" it represents bits. Capital "B" would represent Bytes. You can see this in storage (HDDs) 500GB 256MB etc. I'm pretty sure all ISPs (if not they should) advertise in bits per second not bytes.

Also, I've had AT&T/SBC/PacificBell w/e you wanna call it and was quite satisfied with their speed/reliability (except for that one day their service was down) but maybe that was cause I live a block away from their central office which maybe is your problem. IIRC DSL speeds are affected by distance to CO and Cable is affected by amount of users sharing resources in your area ?_?

Could be AT&T, might want to call them and see if they're having problems...

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I just know that whenever someone else in my house is using the internet while I'm on FFXI, I can tell. If they start downloading something I'm lagged out too much to enjoy playing until they're finished. It's terrible, I can tell when someone else is loading a new web page and when it's finished loading everything goes back to normal. I'm not exactly sure what speed it's supposed to be running at but my parents seem to think I'm the only one experiencing it. They said it must be because my ethernet cable got crunched in my door and it makes me lag sometimes. Can't seem to convince them that it's just a slow connection that isn't meant to handle more than one user at a time and needs to be upgraded after 5 years.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Cephius View Post
    Try calling AT&T and telling them your speed is shit.

You live in Hollywood though don't you? Crowded as hell. The more people using a DSL connection in a neighborhood, the shittier it is. Get cable (or optimally fiber) if calling AT&T doesn't help you out.

Also don't forget that the 1.5Mb connection is likely advertised as megabit, not megabyte. Meaning your 1.5mbit connection is actually around 187 KB/s.
    You've got it backwards. Cable is the connection you share with everyone on the trunk. DSL is a direct line and you get the full speed all the time. If you connect without a router, cable modem lets you see the computers of everyone in your area that also doesn't have a router. DSL doesn't do this. Cable just tends to offer faster possible speeds, but you are sharing with the entire area and thus don't get that speed during peak hours.

BG Level

I tried resetting the modem before I went to work (just flashing the power) and it wouldn't even give me green lights in the 10 minutes I let it churn. Shit had better be on and fast when I get home or I'm throwing chairs and punching Korean people.

Seriously, I have a year lease, and they are the -only- ISP. I can't handle shit internet for a year...

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Your best bet is to contact ATT and request for a meetpoint or pair change. Sounds like you are getting severe crosstalk... That screams shitty copper to me. In other words, call ATT and state you are getting a Lbr issue... And you want a sup- Stat!

Rylis

1.5Mbps is megabits per second. 1.5 MBps would be megabytes. 1 megabit is 128 KB (8 megabits to a megabyte), so it would actually take 12mbps to get 1.5MBps.. Capitalization matters, and I'd wager you're likely paying for the 1.5mbps and not the 1.5MBps, as it would more likely have been advertised as 12mbps.

As for the speed, DSL takes around 24 hours to get the speed you're supposed to, and the modem should remain running with an active connection during that time. If, after that period, you don't have the speed you're supposed to, then there's a problem.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Here are my speeds from when I had AT&T:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...speedtest1.jpg

And what I got when using Opera browser >.>:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...t_lolopera.jpg

I live in the SFV

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

@ Rylis- it does not take 24 hours to attain max speeds. You should receive package or within tolerance the *second after you attain sync*. Source? My job.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    Here are my speeds from when I had AT&T:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...speedtest1.jpg

And what I got when using Opera browser >.>:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...t_lolopera.jpg

I live in the SFV
    Which plan are you paying for?

BG Level

Also, the speedtest is saying megabits, right? So I'm getting .24 Mbps when I supposedly can cap at 1.5 Mbps - 1/6th of the potential yes?

Sigi - when you say shitty copper, do you mean the wiring in my actual building? It's an old-as-fuck shitty K-town apartment building. My entire studio apt only has 3 electrical outlets, the phone plug looks like it was installed in 1960 or some shit. Or do you mean the wiring in my neighborhood?

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane View Post
    Also, the speedtest is saying megabits, right? So I'm getting .24 Mbps when I supposedly can cap at 1.5 Mbps - 1/6th of the potential yes?
    yes, that's right. My test show 1330kbps or 1.3mbps and I had the exact same plan you have lol different name back then I think but same speeds

Sigi - when you say shitty copper, do you mean the wiring in my actual building? It's an old-as-fuck shitty K-town apartment building. My entire studio apt only has 3 electrical outlets, the phone plug looks like it was installed in 1960 or some shit. Or do you mean the wiring in my neighborhood?
    He's talking about AT&T's lines in your area which they're responsible for. AT&T is responsible for everything till the demarcation point (a specific area in your building).

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

*UPDATE

I don't think it's you at all. AT&T must be having issues right now. I just remembered a neighbor of mine has SBC so I leeched off of the connection right now (unsecured) and it's running slower than usual. Usually his connection runs at 1.6~1.7mbps. I ran the test a few times for the past hour. Here's the average:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...oji/sbcnew.jpg

I had att dsl back in the day. I remember being disappointed by the speed during the first week, but then it got to expected speeds. Make sure you keep the modem on for 1+ week.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Omniyoji View Post
    *UPDATE

I don't think it's you at all. AT&T must be having issues right now. I just remembered a neighbor of mine has SBC so I leeched off of the connection right now (unsecured) and it's running slower than usual. Usually his connection runs at 1.6~1.7mbps. I ran the test a few times for the past hour. Here's the average:

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...oji/sbcnew.jpg
    Cool, hopefully that's the case (and hopefully the lights are at least green when I get home - seriously)

Cake Mix
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cakey Yama
    FFXIV Server
    Leviathan
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

http://www.speedtest.net/result/535008109.png

Here's mine for AT&T/Bellsouth down in Alabama. D: Might just be that particular service provider out there or something.