1. You are currently viewing a section that predates the release of FFXIV:ARR and the information you see here is most likely outdated and/or useless.
  1. FFXIV Reset Timers
    Last daily reset was 8 hours, 41 minutes ago / Next daily reset is in 15 hours, 18 minutes
    Last weekly reset was 2 days, 1 hours, 41 minutes ago / Next weekly reset is in 4 days, 8 hours, 18 minutes
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Baelgun

Weather and Sanctuary of Zi'tah. That or goblins bombing themselves. muhahaha

even huger great swords :D

The Fucking Voice of Actually
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Cantih Hacos
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    Blog Entries

My solution for that whole issue, is something I picked up from Magic: the Gathering.

Keep NMs, salvage drop rates, 21-24 hour windows, whatever
    But any piece of gear, has to be available to be 100% obtained for a fair amount of work.
    Lets say, you can fight Wyrm for 99 KS, and maybe get a speed belt. For ~100 +-30 KS, you should be able to just straight up buy a speed belt.

But, for any speed belt that drops from KA, have it be a shiny, glowy, gold boxed, w/e, idc.
    (you could even tag it things, like 1st on server, in places like the signed box)
    Both the normal and the shiny are functionally identical.

That way, for those that want to have rare items, to satisfy them, or flaunt over others, proof they went through hell to get what they have, can have that.

For the rest of us who just want to gear right, we can get the fuck on with it.

Maybe it's just me but that sounds like a bad idea. It doesn't exactly take any amount of hard work to get a number of KS, but what's the incentive beyond "it's shiny!" to do a fight when you can just get the reward with 100% less trouble and effort?

Edit: the whole reason people go through hell to get good gear is because it's good. It's better than what someone else might have and so they flaunt it. But how much can you brag about getting an item everyone else has just because you were foolish enough to do it the long way?

Old Merits
    BG Level

IMO they should keep relic weapons, make them better, and stick 10 on every server. Make a decent PvP system where the winners of a monthly tournament have the weapon transferred to them for a month. Would be fun, IMO, and would promote more PvPing.

Little Mother
    BG Level

I think relics are fine the way they are, the way they are obtained could be tweaked some so you don't have an entire LS full of people doing Dynamis to get one person a relic, but the numbers seem to be okay. FFXI has been out for what 7 years and some servers are hitting like 100 relics now? That sounds fair.

I just don't think it's okay to put a set number of relics a server can have, especially when some servers can be way more crowded than others. The only thing that should stop you from getting a relic is the time and effort youre not willing to put in it, but that's just me.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

No offense, but making relics any harder than it's right now is just stupid. It's even more retarded to make it obtainable in PvP or have set amount. Speaking of the latter though, there should be more rewards to do PvP. Hardly anyone, if any, do Ballistia simply because the reward is a big fat joke. I used to do Ballista all day because I enjoyed it, but most people wouldn't step foot in a match where they are going to take a beating for 500 EXP.

I do hope XIV has it's own version of Relics

Quote Originally Posted by SilverBreeze View Post
    I think relics are fine the way they are, the way they are obtained could be tweaked some so you don't have an entire LS full of people doing Dynamis to get one person a relic, but the numbers seem to be okay. FFXI has been out for what 7 years and some servers are hitting like 100 relics now? That sounds fair.

I just don't think it's okay to put a set number of relics a server can have, especially when some servers can be way more crowded than others. The only thing that should stop you from getting a relic is the time and effort youre not willing to put in it, but that's just me.
    Agreed 100%. I don't really have any genius alternatives but maybe a quest line that is much more solo-centric with the final quest being solo only. Or something.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Maybe relic weapons will unlock a final class o.o;

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I just never liked that relics were almost entirely buyable, meaning any idiot with a credit card could run over to IGE and RMT his way to a relic. At least the mythic quest, though a huge cockblock to a lot of people, was a better idea for a road to obtaining an epic weapon.

Unfortunately the mythics turned out to be lolmythics, but the series of quests is a lot more epic in nature than just making it a big gil dump. I always thought obtaining relics was pretty stupid since it consisted almost entirely of spending gil, and I realize the mentality behind that but it's just kinda blah.

Little Mother
    BG Level

I think a combination of epic quest / title achievements (stuff like killing bosses for titles, I thought going and killing the beastmen lords of ToAU was a good idea for a part of a relic quest) and a combination of something like collecting items, using your weapon in certain places a certain amount and such would be a good idea. A combination of eveything I guess.

- Find Piece of Shit Weapon
    - Collect materials from around the world, from dungeons, from bosses, from crafting, to restore the weapon to it's former glory.
    - Use the weapon against powerful monsters / rare bosses / finish quests / get titles to show that you are strong enough and deserving of wielding the weapon etc.
    - Use the weapon in a certain place that is full of mystical energy that infuses your weapon with power when it's used in battle. (This is where the time sink comes in.)
    - Do epic quest line to bind the weapon to you where you inherit it's full power.

I think that obtaining a relic or a weapon of that calibur should be time consuming, the entire process should not involve money. I like the way that mythics were done, some money was required, but there was a lot of questing, teamwork and going places no one ever went before just to get the weapon made (who seriously killed ToAU kings before Mythics) and I think that's a step in the right direction.

I would love to see PvP in FF14, and as much as people complain about Ballista, it was fun if you got a REAL game of it going, and I think having it as a game or a sport like Ballista or Brenner was the best solution, it was just poorly implemented. There could be a sparring area where you could fight, but I loved the aspect of a officer showing up and saying "We're going to duke it out here" people sign up for sides and go at it in the middle of a zone.

PvP needs more rewards in my opinion. I never understood getting more XP from killing a crab than fighting another player, don't you think fighting a master warrior would give more experience than fighting a crab? I think that doing Brenner or Ballista would have been a lot more popular if they gave experience comparable to exping. (like 5-10k for an hour long game, depending on performance.) Reward people with special items, like stuff to represent their country, food, cool looking armor or badges / medallions / colors you can add to your armor. It would be awesome if you had some armor and you could like add the Royal Guard's tabard from the Sandorian armor over it or something like that. People will do things if they can get shinies out of it. Maybe if you're a high level Ballista player from like Sandy, you could put like gryphons on your shoulderplates or whatever, get cool barding for your chocobo or something. I dunno, just kinda brainstorming here.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

Quote Originally Posted by Cantih View Post
    That way, for those that want to have rare items, to satisfy them, or flaunt over others, proof they went through hell to get what they have, can have that.

For the rest of us who just want to gear right, we can get the fuck on with it.
    This is a great idea

Algoth

Problem with making something in an MMO "impossible to get", is that every person has a different concept of impossible.
    For example, if FFXIV would feature relic weapon equivalent, and the method of obtaining such weapon would be practically just a money dump, the players who like playing the economy would get the weapons rather easily, even if the cost would be insane to most players.
    On the other hand, if it required players to farm for rare drops (something close to 2% drop rate with limited spawns), players who enjoy grinding (believe it or not, people like this exist) would find the weapons easy to get. Well, not easy, but not impossible either.
    And if the weapons would require materials that are limited and exclusive (for example, currency that cannot be traded/sold, and can be obtained only once a week), it would only be a matter of patience and teamwork.
    Of course, making it a combination of all of these things would make it even more difficult, but even this wouldn't level the playing field. Some people just have more time to play than others, so if you are spending 5-12 hours a day every day playing, of course you are going to be more likely to get a relic.
    But there's a fine line between making it too easy for players spending 12 hours a day playing, and making it impossible for a player who only has two or three hours to play every day, if even that.

tldr; Impossible to get is subjective

Old Merits
    BG Level

Impossible is by definition not possible. When people say something is impossible, they're just exaggerating and actually mean "incredibly difficult."

Except when it's about AV

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Alleria

only thing we need... <call5>

i miss this so much when i'm playing other mmo's lol

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Hope they keep:
    -Original Difficulty-level CoP misions
    -NM's
    -Linkshell style chat system
    -Diverse jobs that for the most part gave everyone a specific role (few exceptions lolpup)
    -Current style of party lvling
    -Someways in which to grind exp/ap/whateever new system is

Hope they Add:
    -Job customization (add your own stats type dealy)
    -Better vit/def formulas
    -More large scale events like Dynamis
    -More endgame treatment and zones that more uses for all zones
    -Loads more quests
    -lots of zones of exploration
    -AF style armor/weapons (make the weapons useful for longer periods of time.. ie. upgradeable)
    -Faster respawns on monsters
    -Tiamat, Jorm, Vrtra style Wyrms with Good drops

Hope they remove/Do not add:
    -Campaign style battles
    -Promotions based on RL time
    -Choose your own servers on initial release
    -Campaign (added again since I hated it so badly)
    -21-24 hour pops...

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kawfee Demitasse
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Sargeras

I agree and disagree with Sephir on a lot of things:

On missions:
    I think COP missions were the best executed in the entire game (COP everything else was really hit or miss). The storyline was cohesive, you got to do it with a core of friends, it required you to be coordinated and smart rather than having amazing gear, a ton of people to help you, or random collection quests where you run all over the entire world. To me, it was the most "Final Fantasyish", with the level of puzzles and challenging fights in it.

On Endgame:
    I think Limbus was the best executed content for all of the endgame in terms of how it worked functionally. Didn't require a lot of time, a lot of people, but had unique challenges and was a lot of fun, with good rewards.

Sea HNMs are bleh. The rewards are bleh-er.
    Sky is okay, but the farming system could have been a lot better, especially with the onslaught of RMT.
    Land Kings are horrible. They should be instanced with a lockout time (ie: can only do it every 24 hours, random chance of a King version of the HNM when you enter).
    Einherjar seems fun, but the rewards seemed meh, and was too much like Dynamis.
    Dynamis required way too much time, too monotonous, and too many people.
    Salvage is fun, but the rewards take waaaay too long to get.

On Large Scale Events:
    Where I agree/disagree on Dynamis with Sephir is:
    Dynamis IS fun - but it is very difficult to 1. Schedule it; 2. Organize once everyone is there; 3. Complete it in a short amount of time.
    Besieged is a similar scale but does it much better, as the organization is much easier (people just show up), items are distributed automatically, and it only lasts 30-60 minutes (or so).

Progress based on RL time commitment:
    Agree, this sucks. Having rank ups depending on how often you play should never be a design element.

I could post more but it's already a giant wall of text.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

One thing I hope they do is make a lot of events (end-game or not) have an alternate "currency" based system to get rewards. Limbus, or Einherjar come to mind. Except for a few key items in Limbus and possibly Einherjar, most items you could get with the "currency" were lackluster. Salvage, although a cool event, really can burn you out if you constantly have bad luck on drops. It can be really demoralizing. Having you earn "points" each run that you knew you could exchange for gear would really help I think.

So... yeah... earn some form of "points" when completing events, so the time vs. reward ratio for each completion is relatively the same.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by sephir View Post
    Hope they remove/Do not add:
    -Campaign style battles
    -Promotions based on RL time
    -Choose your own servers on initial release
    -Campaign (added again since I hated it so badly)
    -21-24 hour pops...
    wtf if i play ff14 i would want to choose my own server. how else my friends and i gonna play together. create chars until it give me the right server? no fucking way

Formerly BGTemp // TERA Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    wtf if i play ff14 i would want to choose my own server. how else my friends and i gonna play together. create chars until it give me the right server? no fucking way
    qtf