+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

Can I go get birth control for my girlfriend?

Do I have to take her with me or no? We don't have health insurance, so doctor visits aren't going to be happening no matter what. Not sure if she needs to get one of them pap smear things or not. I know she got them last time she was on birth control, then we kind of just stopped getting it, both people working 50+hrs a week makes it difficult to get there.

She wants Yaz, do you know if plan parenthood carries it? Suppose to help with break outs and bitchiness so I approve.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Does she have a prescription?

Edit: my reading comprehension fails. No, you can't. To get it at planned Parenthood it will cost upward of $25 a fill (28 days), and they will require an evaluation beforehand, which is $50. You can get generic at Target for $9 a month with a prescription, so after a doctor visit. It will pay for itself to visit a doctor.

In before the crowd gets here and turns this into a politics/religion thread.

But, in all seriousness, I thought it was something you kinda were supposed to see a doctor for? Looking at the Planned Parenthood site it seems you can get a prescription from them, but still not sure what the cost is going to be on your end. However, I think most of them are going to want an exam done...

Use the basal body temperature method!

Ridill
    BG Level

Planned parenthood will pretty much hook you up free or absolutely as close as possible if you can show you need them to.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Damn they have to make stuff so complicated. From what I am seeing planned parenthood does pap smears? I have no idea about this stuff, and she's sleeping I woke her up to ask her what she had to do last time, but she is half asleep. Before she was living with her Mom still, so I really didn't have to deal with it, that was 4 years ago now.

So hopefully they're open on weekends I guess, that's the only time we can both get there.

It can't turn into a religion/politics argument because she wants it for treating moderate acne. Contraceptive is just a bonus, condoms are too damn exspensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Alishe View Post
    It can't turn into a religion/politics argument because she wants it for treating moderate acne. Contraceptive is just a bonus, condoms are too damn exspensive.

Oh yea of little faith.

Good luck though, at least.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Condoms are only expensive if you buy them in small packs or from pacles like convenience stores. Well... maybe if you are buying the fancy ones too... My local Costco carries boxes of 40 (Trojans) for about $12. 30 cents a condom is not expensive at all. Birth control pills are expensive in comparison, especially with need for a prescription. In comparison, the local gas stations are about $5 for a box of 3, more for the fancy ones.

Also, apparently Planned Parenthood will just give you free condoms. That's how cheap the things are in bulk.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

oh jeez who needs silly birth control just do what our parents did........ pull out

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jicent View Post
    oh jeez who needs silly birth control just do what our parents did........ anal
    ftfy

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle
    WoW Realm
    Trollbane

falcon punch and save money

Packin more heat than spicy
    8=====>

BG Level

Some clinics are open on Saturdays now at least in my area. You'll have to check the site. As stated, no you can't get pills or whatever for her. I was typically able to get birth control while saying I would schedule an exam at a later date, and then never scheduling that shit. Tell her to say she's on her period so they won't want to pry her vag apart to swab it. I've never tried that, but I'm sure it would work.

Planned parenthoods usually have most forms of pills so that prob have yas or whatever. Just make an appointment cuz if you walk in, you'll prob be sitting there for 3 hours. (if its anything like my area)

Silly Hat Connoisseur
    BG Level

Wow @ tying pap smears to birth control accessibility... that's ridiculous!

Good luck

The Mizzle Fizzle of Nikkei's Haremizzle

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Alishe View Post
    . Not sure if she needs to get one of them pap smear things or not.
    Ahhh blissful ignorance. Oh how I miss the days of not knowing how a snatch worked.

{Refresh} {Cat}
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Emirii Mei
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

I JUST went through all this. You need a regular yearly exam to make sure everything is alright so yes she needs to see an OB/GYN first. Planned parenthood clinics wont see you unless you have these as well (With them or other clinics). Also yes you can get the pill most cases (with exam) but they are expensive at planned parenthood places and without insurance. I got Implanon (a small rod that sticks in your arm up to 3 years) with my insurance, only costed me 20$ (10% of cost) so i assume if you get it w/o insurance it would be about ~250$ + exam fee, but it lasts 3 years and almost 100% effective.

If your trying to avoid doctors completely, condoms, spermicides, etc. would probably be the best but those have horrible birth control rates compared to hormonal treatments

pap smears are to make sure its in good health with bacteria/diseases/etc. but not necessary during an exam.

I find this helpful for all questions:
    http://community.livejournal.com/vaginapagina/
    on the left there is a list of every question subject you might think of, asked by real people and answered by real people.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Condoms? Expensive?

Holy shit. Come on now. Know where to buy them or don't buy them at all.

As far as getting birth control for her, no. She has to get them herself. The reason for this is that many people are hesitant to give out birth control pills to people other than the girls because they might turn around and sell them (which is illegal).

Plus, if she's a minor, many places have 1 of 2 options - anonymity (where parents don't find out) and consent (where parents have to be called).

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

why not go to the dermatologist if she just wants acne treatment?

Member since 2006 and still can't think of a title.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Acanis Lindri
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Depending on how bad the acne is, birth control can be some of the best acne preventive medicine out there for young women.

BG Medical's Student of Medicine
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle View Post
    why not go to the dermatologist if she just wants acne treatment?
    Because the dude wants to be able to fuck her without a condom. Even if birth control is the best acne suppressant, if that was all they wanted it for then it wouldn't be a problem for her to go get it herself.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast