Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hunter and Haste     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ksandra Needs To Post Tits
    BG Level

Don't even think about gemming for ArP or going to an ArP build until you're in 25 man ulduar or better.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Odon View Post
    Don't even think about gemming for ArP or going to an ArP build until you're in 25 man ulduar or better.
    if that's the case should I just stick with the crit/agi build I've been doing?

as I said really rather not switch to SV if possible even if it means a bit of a dps loss, not sure how much of a loss I'm suffering though

Ksandra Needs To Post Tits
    BG Level

Just put 16 agi gems or epics if you want in all slots and then use a green for the meta..

The difference to switching to survival would be a pretty big DPS boost, marks isn't really viable until Ulduar gear, but I personally hate playing survival so I know where you're coming from.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

bleh hmmm question then how viable is SV doing random soloing shit. I've been using BM spec for my secondary because it's decent (though not as good as SV) for pvp and it makes soloing/questing dailies hella easy. So it's pretty dual purpose, which I <3.

I kinda still don't want to switch out my MM spec, but if SV is alright for soloing maybe I can switch my secondary spec to it to see how it goes compared to my MM.

[edit] also, how much ArP should I get before I can go back to MM?

I am far from Uldar 25 man but some of the stuff I can get from H ToC has it so at least I can start gathering bits and pieces.

BM is king of soloing, especially with 2piece T5 if you have it.

SV is probably 2nd, only because you'll pull threat from your pet a lot sooner as MM since the core of your damage is from your attacks. Same could be said about survival, but you lower cooldowns on a lot of abilities. Although, MM has Readiness so that could also work.

I guess it's just matter of preference

When you have around 500 ArP including gems. You should have a Grim Toll or a Mjollnir Runestone for the procs to take you around 1200 (someone mentioned earlier)

Otherwise, it's mediocre and probably not worth it. Survival with AGI gems until you think you have enough ArP

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I don't really see how his hunter is stacking haste, he has less than my hunter.

The World of Warcraft Armory

When I do my dailys while soloing, I explosive, then aimed, and it's usually dead right after. I have a MM spec, but i've never really enjoyed it as much. I'm just starting to stack my ArP, so once it gets a little higher I'm sure it will have its uses more.

If he's only doing 800more dps than you, it's rather sad. Seeing as how you're not at hit cap, he has about 1k more ranged attack then you, more crit, more etc.

Let's just hope that he wasn't trying, otherwise your GM hunter, with what is now the 2nd best ranged weapon in the game, is a gimp.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Thuronn View Post
    I don't really see how his hunter is stacking haste, he has less than my hunter.

The World of Warcraft Armory

When I do my dailys while soloing, I explosive, then aimed, and it's usually dead right after. I have a MM spec, but i've never really enjoyed it as much. I'm just starting to stack my ArP, so once it gets a little higher I'm sure it will have its uses more.

If he's only doing 800more dps than you, it's rather sad. Seeing as how you're not at hit cap, he has about 1k more ranged attack then you, more crit, more etc.

Let's just hope that he wasn't trying, otherwise your GM hunter, with what is now the 2nd best ranged weapon in the game, is a gimp.
    Oo I am at hit cap. well technically. I have 4% in gear then 3% in talents then I have a pocket shaman that always gives me 1% XD

I dunno about the haste thing with him as ya he doesn't have overly much, but you can see he chooses the haste scope for example and always gets excited when a haste item drops. think maybe he switches them out or something.

[edit] I switched to SV so gonna try it out today. Normally on 5 man I do around 2200-2500 on MM so hopefully SV with be above that, otherwise I'll go back to MM. XD

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    always gets excited when a haste item drops
    Good. Let him have those and you can take the useful gear.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by sb View Post
    Good. Let him have those and you can take the useful gear.
    Haste isn't bad. Just don't make it your priority over other more useful stats.

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

It'll be hard to compare MM vs surv in a 5man environment mainly because...

MM depends on melee raid debuffs on bosses/buffs on you and scales up well.
    Surv starts up high, scales poorly so.. its pretty overpowered in 5man, and then in 25man it goes up a little higher.

Like... on my hunter if I rapidfire+ trinket and mash like mad on a single target heroic boss I can do like 5000-5500 dps, in a raid on something like.. XT before his heart thing I might do 6000-7000

MM is probably like... 4000-4500 5man and in raid with 40-50% arp equal gear like the surv *but arp focus) he will probably do 6200~6500-7200~7500

(random example's)

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

hmm I'm trying sv atm in our 5 man and my dps is basically the same ><; it's a tad lower but I chalk that up to getting used to it.

this is the spec I switched to:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I'm using:

ES/BA/Sp/MS (not on boss)/SS

SV alludes me lol

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

Aimed shot should be in your boss rotation if you have the mana for it. Even without JoW, your mana should be fine on a 5man boss.
    I used this spec/glyphs as surv, but that was a couple months ago. Not a lot has changed since then I would assume: http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?hunt...4&version=9767

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

hmmm k I'll give it a shot specing aimed in.

do you guys still trap dance?

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Patty Fleur
    FFXIV Server
    Ultros
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

I did when bosses could proc frost trap

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    hmm I'm trying sv atm in our 5 man and my dps is basically the same ><; it's a tad lower but I chalk that up to getting used to it.

this is the spec I switched to:

I'm using:

ES/BA/Sp/MS (not on boss)/SS

SV alludes me lol
    This is what I use

maxout thrill of the hunt, surv is a "crit machine" having it 100% chance every crit is very good mana returns, 1-2 points into thrill of the hunt is very nice also

and 1 more point into resourcefulness gives you a little more dps boost time and frost traps are 40mana with it (nice way to sneak in a Lock n load)

oh and 4% crit explosive shot glyph is nice

oh and get the darkmoon card...! Its awesome ;P You got like 15-20 days till next darkmoon faire

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

AH HAH it was aimed shot fucking me up. I was trying to figure out wtf I was doing wrong lmao

Old Lady Harem of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mne Jing
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

tbh, I wouldn't even stress about ArP even until you start dipping in to Ulduar. Unless you have a bit of luck and a ton of time (as in, able to run every heroic every day), you're probably going to gear through heroics and then get the scrap Naxx run that might get set up during the week.

ArPs usefulness in Naxx is not nearly as good as it is in Ulduar. Realistically, stack AP/Agi, depending on how you feel (I personally prefer AP on BM and I've managed to stay at a pretty consistent 4.5k average dps), and worry about the rest as your gear gets better. Don't bother with epic gems if you're wearing blues or 200 epics, as you WILL replace them very quickly doing H ToC and heroics regularly, and it ends up being a waste of money.

Differing opinions here about haste, but unless white damage is a significant source of your overall damage (which is kind of a bad thing), its not going to help very much at all. Once steady shot is down to 1.5s, which should come naturally and easily off of Naxx10 gear, its a wasted stat, and shouldn't ever be something you're actively striving to get. Honestly, if your GM is saying haste is omgawesome, he is an omgretard. And yeah, even if he isn't trying, 800 dps over your fresh 80 that uses a spec that isn't exactly amazing without amazing gear, he is doing it completely wrong, especially if he is SV.

SV is easy-button, the rotation compared to MM/BM is mostly the same, with the signature shots being the only significant difference. If you are giving SV a try, biggest thing is to keep serpent sting up, BA whenever, Explosive Shot when its up, Arcane shot when its up, and fill in the blanks with steady shot. Generally I sit there and spam steady shot while I wait for cooldowns, hit that, go back to steady, wait for next cooldown and hit it, steady some more, rince and repeat. Hunter is about rotation, but its rotation is so very easy to get used to.

I'd focus a lot less on your DPS right now, as its not going to be stellar off a fresh ding to 80. Instead, accept that its not going to be great and work on getting the gear to make you better. Its not too hard, I did my pally from greens/quest blues to basically full 219/226 (with some 232 and 245 for good measure) in a matter of 3 weeks, and now am in top 5 dps in Ulduar25. Conquest items are freaking awesome, and if you just keep doing a lot of heroics, you'll be rewarded nicely. The gear is trivial at that point, and the biggest thing is mastering the rotation.

Bottom line: EJ good, GM bad.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

^, except arcane share CD with explosive shot