Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hunter and Haste     submit to reddit submit to twitter

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Hunter and Haste

Wanted to get some good info on this.

Back story:

Our GM is a hunter that's been playing for a bit. He's obsessed with haste on his hunter gear. Note: he's SV spec and I am MM spec. He's constantly mocking me because I don't stack haste at all. His DPS is way higher, but his gear is way ass better than mine (I did my first 10man today whereas he's been farming 25 man with another group for months). He's constantly insisting that my dps is lower because I need to stack haste. Part of me really feels though if we were on the same tier of gear I could maybe out dps him lol. Everything I have read (including elitistjerks) seems to say the same thing: haste is the last stat to worry about.

So ya, is haste important to Hunter in your experience? How much do you stack normally? Which spec were/are you in when you stacked haste? How did you reach your conclusion about it too for that matter?

Our guild is pretty much dead so my static group have been trying really hard to de-gimp ourselves so we can find an active raid guild, so any advice is appreciated. XD

EJ is usually pretty spot-on.. then again, their theorycrafting assumes ideal raid composition, and some things change pretty drastically depending on your raid composition / which fight you're on, etc. I usually paid attention to EJ moreso than random people and always seemed to perform higher than others. Keep on keepin' on.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

33% raid-buffed haste is the cap for steady shot, however realize that you get 15% from quiver, so the amount of haste you need on your gear is actually not that large. Stacking haste is a bad idea regardless, especially if you might be beast mastery.

I am no Hunter, so hear my voice lightly.

I think the drastic difference in DPS may be your spec in combination with gear. I'm not saying that SV is drastically superior to MM, but to my knowledge, MM relies heavily on gear, particularly in the armor penetration stat. Haste is a nice stat for Hunters, even more so than it is for Paladins and Death Knights, but I wouldn't say it's something you would gear for.

As MM, do your best at stacking/gemming for armor pen., and try for the Grim Toll trinket in Naxx25.

Again, I don't know much about hunter, but I've obviously overheard some discussion here and there. I hope this helps.

( check out elitistjerks.com )

Ksandra Needs To Post Tits
    BG Level

The only haste you need as a hunter is enough to get steady shot down to a 1.5 cast. Period.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

just stack all agi until you get your hands on ulduar gears.

Armor Penetration cap is around 1200~

one clue on when to start gemming for armor penetration is, when you have around 270~ armor pen from gears alone and total of 550~ armor pen gemmed.

the rest of ArP is provided by

Grim Toll: 612 ArP
    (Random boss off Naxx25)

or

Mjolnir Runestone: 665 ArP
    (Thorim Hard Mode)

once you hit that 1200~ ArP, start gemming for AGI.

keep in mind that the first and foremost stat that you need to cap is hit rating, 263 hit rating or 8% hit. (adjust with focused aim talent)

priority for MM: Hit>ArP>Agi

don't even worry about haste, if you got the gears for those ArP set up, chances are they already have alot of haste in many of the gears.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

hmmm that's an intersting point samanosuke. I have some armor penetration gear, but ya it probably makes more sense to stack that haste.

As for steady shot, it's the last on rotation for MM and I have 4 (outside of serpent sting/kill shot) that I rotate on throughout the fight, and basically steady shot doesn't get used as often than for sure BM, and possibly SV. Which further made me think haste wasn't as important.

Is it more important for SV per chance? maybe that's why he's so adamant about it...really kinda makes me feel newbish the way he talks about it sometimes lmao

He sound more like an ass than anything lol.

Really though, EJ is a pretty solid source for info. Next time he's a douche, own him with some math.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Steady Shot is basically "All my other shots are on cooldown"

SV has Explosive, Black Arrow, stings, and possibly Aimed to keep up with, you're still not going to be hitting steady all that often afaik.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Ksandra View Post
    hmmm that's an intersting point samanosuke. I have some armor penetration gear, but ya it probably makes more sense to stack that haste.

As for steady shot, it's the last on rotation for MM and I have 4 (outside of serpent sting/kill shot) that I rotate on throughout the fight, and basically steady shot doesn't get used as often than for sure BM, and possibly SV. Which further made me think haste wasn't as important.

Is it more important for SV per chance? maybe that's why he's so adamant about it...really kinda makes me feel newbish the way he talks about it sometimes lmao
    not really, hunter is one of the classes that get less benefit from haste because all our shots are instant cast and the only one with casting bar is steady shot. it benefit caster classes more for sure. dunno whats ur gm smoking, but no way stacking haste is better than stacking agi.

where did u parse this btw? if it's like lolnaxx25, there's a REMOTE POSSIBILITY that haste maybe better if you're @ulduar gear w/ 25man buffs. but on ulduar or higher, no way.

my gear is far from perfect, but this is roughly what a non-ArP stacking hunter gemming/enchant look like.

The World of Warcraft Armory

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    not really, hunter is one of the classes that get less benefit from haste because all our shots are instant cast and the only one with casting bar is steady shot. it benefit caster classes more for sure. dunno whats ur gm smoking, but no way stacking haste is better than stacking agi.

where did u parse this btw? if it's like lolnaxx25, there's a REMOTE POSSIBILITY that haste maybe better if you're @ulduar gear w/ 25man buffs. but on ulduar or higher, no way.

my gear is far from perfect, but this is roughly what a non-ArP stacking hunter gemming/enchant look like.

well he's been helping us with our 5 man heroics but today we did OS 10 man the first time and he did about 800 dps more. XD but to get an aidea this is what I'm up against:

and this is me:

again I just hit 80 like last week XD

so for sure he's got way better gear than me, but he likes to say I am so far behind because of the lack of haste

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

lol he only outdps's you by 800? hes doing it wrong

BG Level

Yes I know what steady shot is, I also play a marks Hunter.

Your rotation should be Serpent > Chim > Aimed > Arcane > Steady > Steady > Steady repeat.

1.5 steady shots are what keep that rotation in check.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Odon View Post
    Yes I know what steady shot is, I also play a marks Hunter.

Your rotation should be Serpent > Chim > Aimed > Arcane > Steady > Steady > Steady repeat.

1.5 steady shots are what keep that rotation in check.
    XD sorry didn't mean it like that, just like explaining why I wouldn't think it's that important. sowwie XD

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Boyiee View Post
    lol he only outdps's you by 800? hes doing it wrong
    He stacks haste.

BG Level

XD sorry didn't mean it like that, just like explaining why I wouldn't think it's that important. sowwie XD
    S'all good was just sayin'.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

it's just shear gear differences between you 2, while it's true that your gear is lacking in haste, you'd make bigger improvement w/ stacking agi. haste comes later.

only 800 dps difference? lol i'd be bawling if i were him/her (no offense lol). with those gears id put out at least 1.5k more. just shows how much skill(and/or latency) plays a big role in DPS.

spam those heroics for emblem, and reg-TOC H-TOC. the gears from H-TOC are great and you get them with very little effort.

since you're wearing ebon blade tabard, yeah i assume you already know about head enchant. get shoulder enchant too after.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SamanosukeShiva View Post
    it's just shear gear differences between you 2, while it's true that your gear is lacking in haste, you'd make bigger improvement w/ stacking agi. haste comes later.

only 800 dps difference? lol i'd be bawling if i were him/her (no offense lol). with those gears id put out at least 1.5k more. just shows how much skill(and/or latency) plays a big role in DPS.

spam those heroics for emblem, and reg-TOC H-TOC. the gears from H-TOC are great and you get them with very little effort.

since you're wearing ebon blade tabard, yeah i assume you already know about head enchant. get shoulder enchant too after.
    haha ya almost can get the enchant and we been spamming toc which is good, just wanted to make sure I was on the right track XD

Mithra Ero-Sensei
    Sex Manthra

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Erosensei Gulkeeva
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Magtheridon

Well... looking at the 2's stats...

http://www.quickarmory.com/?n=Lirim&r=Kil%27jaeden

Needs less hate, more crit
    Haste is virtually useless on explosive shot, which is like 50%+ of surv hunter dps

the more explosive crits the better!

imo surv is basically an all crit build, and then armor pen/haste

http://www.quickarmory.com/?n=Ksandra&r=Kil%27jaeden
    Needs ALOT looooootttt more armor pen to be effective, will most likely do more dps as surv

MM is a armor pen -> crit/haste type build (I'd go more crit though as the chimera/sting proc is pretty dam low if it doesn't crit anyway)
    (at around 30-40% switching to it from surv is good)

oh and if he's only doing 800 dps over you with his gear.. he's doing it wrong ;/ (he'd probably do less dps then you or about the same if he switched to MM even if he had much better gear)

oh and.. if ya got time, honor farm the weekly WG for an easy 9K+ honor, daily bg... quick n easy epic gems!

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

hmm you think it worth to switch out the current agi gems for armor pen or should I suck it up and wait for better gear to start gemming it?

I really <3 MM so don't want to have to switch to SV if possible. XD

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast