Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    BEES OH GOD BEES
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

BlizzCon - Discussion Thread

Making these threads now to avoid having all info posted in separate threads.

All discussion concerning info posted in the http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/80460...ml#post3006275 thread goes here.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

"New character progression: Path of the Titans"

wut?

Chances are instead of getting exp and grinding, you'll take part in some crazy epic quests much akin to the Battle of Undercity to gain levels.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I wonder what they are going to do with places like Ratchet, Everlook and all the other goblin towns. Will they still be neutral or horde only? Will be kinda lame if Worgen counterparts pop up in those areas lol.

I suppose they could also just have been totally destroyed.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I would guess it will be a new goblin faction that joins the horde. The Cartel would always remain neutral, but there are other gob's around (even outside Netherstorm) who are allianced w/random other factions that you can't gain rep w/.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

World of the Goddess?

Wings of Warcraft?

*yawn*

I guess the golden rule of MMO's is that when you are working on a new MMO you just start recycling your old MMO content so you don't have to come up with new stuff for your old game.

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    World of the Goddess?

Wings of Warcraft?

*yawn*

I guess the golden rule of MMO's is that when you are working on a new MMO you just start recycling your old MMO content so you don't have to come up with new stuff for your old game.
    I don't really understand your post. Are you implying that you believe the new expansion will involve time travel of some sort? Because from my impression they're just changing the current Azeroth, completely replacing it.

i think he means the burden of re-design something already there is less than that of creating new content from zero. aside from it being due to time travel or a cataclysm, we're still talking of old zones revamped / reskinned / remodelled.

oh and poor Horde : the design and visual appeal of worgens is outstanding

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ringthree View Post
    New Troll Here.
    Cool story bro.

BEES OH GOD BEES
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

If they remove the old raids I'll be fucking pissed -.- Me and a friend were gonna skip guild stuff and just duo old content for fun while in uni. They better allow those without the expansion to do stuff like MC.

i think he means the burden of re-design something already there is less than that of creating new content from zero. aside from it being due to time travel or a cataclysm, we're still talking of old zones revamped / reskinned / remodelled.

I can see how one can say that, but if they're not scrapping the old zones altogether it would actually be more difficult to build new stuff on top of the old stuff. Azeroth wasn't designed for a lot of things, flight included, so it's a mess in between zones. They can't just come up with things - they have to work around limitations already in place to recreate the old zones.

An example would be Zul'gurub. There's an uninstanced version of the raid that's accessible above the raid portal, but it currently requires some fancy maneuvering to get into. If we can fly we can just drop into it. There's a lot of examples like this that would make changing things more difficult then just creating brand new zones. Unless they just completely scrap the old zones and redesign them all from the ground up - but it doesn't appear that way at all.

This doesn't look like WotG where some things are just in different places or there's a fort where there wasn't one before, it looks like some of the zones may look entirely different with a few familiar things in place.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

so fucking psyched to play a Worgen :D

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

chris metzen is a tool

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
    chris metzen is a tool
    Most very wealthy and influential alpha dog types are.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

MECHA-ORG

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Azuremyst

yknow people bitch about blizzard, but they really understand what people want.

they mentioned the underwater zones wont be a pain in the ass to move through, which was a concern, and just now they're revamping old world rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    Cool story bro.
    You da boss.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

I don't think blizz will fail like SE at revamping old content.

It's speculated that "Path of the Titans" is like FFXI Merit points or EQ's Alternate Advancement system.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Arelian View Post
    I can see how one can say that, but if they're not scrapping the old zones altogether it would actually be more difficult to build new stuff on top of the old stuff. Azeroth wasn't designed for a lot of things, flight included, so it's a mess in between zones. They can't just come up with things - they have to work around limitations already in place to recreate the old zones.

An example would be Zul'gurub. There's an uninstanced version of the raid that's accessible above the raid portal, but it currently requires some fancy maneuvering to get into. If we can fly we can just drop into it. There's a lot of examples like this that would make changing things more difficult then just creating brand new zones. Unless they just completely scrap the old zones and redesign them all from the ground up - but it doesn't appear that way at all.

This doesn't look like WotG where some things are just in different places or there's a fort where there wasn't one before, it looks like some of the zones may look entirely different with a few familiar things in place.
    It's no doubt that they are doing more than SE did with Wings, but in the end the concept is the same. Do less work because you already have something to work with. Blizzard has a much bigger operation than SE with WoW, but in the end more resources can be diverted else where when you aren't starting with a blank page, and instead are just enhancing things that already exist for the most part.

I don't doubt that it will be better than Wings in it's reworkings and I don't doubt that if SE had really tried they could have done a lot more with Wings, but in the end it is the same effect. Blizzard just has more money to spend on their corner cutting. Ironic but true.

It makes a lot of sense financially and resource-wise because it plays on the nerd-core of the game, the lore. But at the same time it kind of feels like they are doing a Crisis on Infinite Earths (NERD ALERT! NERD ALERT!) so that they don't have to really come up with consistent lore or worrying about retconning for a new continent. I don't doubt that Blizzard will execute it more successfully than SE did (again more resources to do more), but ultimately it's not new, it's not original and it's kind of like "been there, done that" for people that have experience outside of WoW.

There were entirely new zones in Wings, and I am sure there will be ones in Cata. There also likely will be zones that are only slightly tweaked to make flying capable, and maybe a new quest hub here or there.

This really reminds me of that commenter that said that WoW is now being run by the "B" team because the "A" is working on the new MMO. I thought the guy was dead wrong at the time. I thought Blizzard could do no wrong. Now... I don't know. Ghostcrawler has kind of demystified the nature of the WoW development team. This new expansion is a good concept on paper and for conserving resources, but is it going to work? Recycled content. Recycled races. No new classes.

It definitely can work, Blizzard is filled with capable people "B" team or no, but it is a little disconcerting that they would choose to take the same route that SE took, and likely for the same reasons.

I am very curious how this is going to effect old content and the leveling experience (which Blizzard basically doesn't care about at all), but that is just from a kind of nerdy kind of perspective. Things may change as more information is released too, but these are just my first, cynical, impressions.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast