Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Haomarush

Mainspec vs Offspec rolling issue.

There seems to be a HUGE issue with the definition of mainspec and offspec in WoW after the introduction of dual specing system.

To me Mainspec for a class is the spec that THEY enjoy playing the most. Offspec is the spec they use whenever necessary.

Examples:

Main spec Prot, Off spec Holy. (Paladin)

Now let's say you're doing 25man VoA and the raid leader got 3 tanks by mistake and we're in need of healers and asks if anyone has a healing spec. The paladin who is MS Prot OS Holy says "Sure I'll swap from tanking to holy and heal" Everything goes fine and then a tanking piece drops.

The paladin rolls on it and wins. However the tank receives it because he was actually tanking. That's retarded.

I agree that you should only be able to roll on 1 set of items per run but the definition is defined by raid leaders these days which is in my opinion a huge mistake given that 90% of WoW's population is retarded 12 yr olds.

A good way to fix this in my opinion would be for blizzard to add some sort of feature that allows each player to specify their Mainspec and Offspec each time they enter an instance. This 'feature' would be visible by everyone via the raid tab.

Another thing that's come to my awareness is the fact that PvP gear has been deemed less important than PvE gear.

As you've probably figured the above happened to me I swapped to holy and won a tanking piece and was unable to receive it because I wasn't 'mainspecing' prot. I said "okay that's cool..." and we went to the 2nd boss in VoA. He dropped the deadly holy legs and when I rolled I was beaten by a ret paladin. The raid leader proceeded to give the ret pally the holy legs because "pvp is free roll" ............. Who the fuck thinks they can decide that PvP gear is < PvE gear?

As much of a rant this is I would like to see the thoughts of anyone about the mainspec offspec rolling issue.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Just say in raid "if you plan on rolling on something for a spec you are not currently doing this raid in, please say so now."

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

Sounds like you just had a fucktard as masterlooter to be honest. All you can do is specify loudly in radchat before you start killing how you think things should be, and if they disagree then leave.

YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

"only one set per run" is bullcrap as a hard fast rule, I'm all for spreading the wealth but I see no reason to lock someone out of DPS rolls just because they were the only person rolling on the tanking piece on the boss before that.

And lol @ VOA loot drama. Whoever wins lot wins the piece imo, there's not nearly enough loot to make everybody happy in that place.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Frostmane

I agree there you should be only able to roll on one spec, however it shouldn't matter if its your MS or OS. For example if you're doing Uld of something and you don't need any gear for your MS, if you could only roll for MS people wouldn't bother to raid anymore when they have what they want.

As for the feature it shouldn't be needed, unless your leaders you raid w/ are retarded, or make only rules to benefit themselves.

New Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen View Post
    Just say in raid "if you plan on rolling on something for a spec you are not currently doing this raid in, please say so now."
    this.

I've got no problem with people gearing an alternate spec as "main" as long as they are performing the task I need them to (assuming I'm leading).

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

Quote Originally Posted by Rama View Post
    this.

I've got no problem with people gearing an alternate spec as "main" as long as they are performing the task I need them to (assuming I'm leading).
    same. I don't really lead VOA pugs anymore since I got into my guild, but anytime I did I spammed in raid "If you're rolling on something that you're not specced for right now send me a whisper" or something to that effect. Then when the people are lazy and don't whisper you, it's their fault and not mine when I loot something to someone else.

But it just sounds like in your situation A. The ML was a gigantic douchebag, and B. Loot rules obviously weren't gone over in advance.

Old Lady Harem of the House of Weave
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mne Jing
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus
    WoW Realm
    Hyjal

I think its pretty much been said... but honestly, main spec is the spec you play the most. Off spec is obviously what you play otherwise.

If you were invited to a raid as a Prot pally, but suddenly the RL decides they have too many tanks and you end up going Holy, your main spec is still prot. You were invited as prot, that means you are prot. If your raid leader is a moron and invites too many people to tank, thats his own stupidity.

Realistically, if a guy does that, keep note of who he is and don't join up with him in the future. Live and learn, etc. If you are going to be USING an offspec, the best thing to do is straight up say what you are going to roll on as main spec before you even get going... if there is a problem with it, excuse yourself and save yourself the headache.

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

I think the real solution is to just start your own raid. That way you don't get screwed over and can ninja any loot you want to yourself anyway.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Paladins are the biggest lootwhores in WoW period. Every raid I attend whether it was a guild or pug raid there is always an issue or always a paladin trying to be a 3 spec'er and trying to lootwhore. It is never any other class but a paladin, utterly ridiculous.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    BG Level

Is it considered offspec if you are a straight Dps class and you are specced for one weapon but can easily switch talents and be dps with another kind of wep. ie. rogues with daggers/swords/fist/mace, they normally only use 1 type but since damage is really their spec should they be limited to only rolling on what their talents/spec currently benefit if the other kind of weapon would improve dps.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Blarg View Post
    Is it considered offspec if you are a straight Dps class and you are specced for one weapon but can easily switch talents and be dps with another kind of wep. ie. rogues with daggers/swords/fist/mace, they normally only use 1 type but since damage is really their spec should they be limited to only rolling on what their talents/spec currently benefit if the other kind of weapon would improve dps.
    Weapon upgrades are weapon upgrades, rather you have to respec to make full use of them or not.

As long as you're actually going to change specs and use the weapon as your main weapon, then no, that would be just silly.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender View Post
    Paladins are the biggest lootwhores in WoW period. Every raid I attend whether it was a guild or pug raid there is always an issue or always a paladin trying to be a 3 spec'er and trying to lootwhore. It is never any other class but a paladin, utterly ridiculous.
    Iono, out of the hybrid classes I've grouped/guilded with paladins aren't the worst offenders, but historically Shaman have wanted a similar triple set of gear for enh/resto/ele, AND they'll roll on leather and cloth as they see fit.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Shamans are the worst for sure, however I know a DK in my last guild who tried to take every 2h that dropped and said it was better for his tanking set.

Certified Enhancement Shaman
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Meph Taru
    FFXIV Server
    Diabolos

I stopped rolling on leather cause I always felt bad for the rogues, now I just fight with hunters over mail-gear. I always scream at rogues when they roll against me on mace and fist-weapons tho. stick to swords and daggers >_>

edit: and commenting on the specs. everyone have a main-spec and an "off-spec" they use from time to time, that shouldnt affect what they can roll on in a raid.
    we just use need for main, greed for off-spec when we do runs.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Considering the BiS mainhand for a rogue is a fist weapon you'll have to put up with them rolling on it over the not-so-great swords available

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Hunter in my BC guild bid DKP to get Soul Cleaver - Item - World of Warcraft

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Paladins are the worst, I don't care what anyone says. I saw 2 paladins hold up a raid for nearly 5mins once arguing over a peice of tank loot when they both were holy with a ret offspec. I had one paladin in normal ToC try to roll on the cloth shoulders from the blackknight over a warlock for his healing set.

In one of my guilds before they fell apart we had a Paladin who had 3 full sets of naxx25 gear before uld released who tried to bid on tank/holy gear as well ret before the GM got fed up with him and kicked him from the guild.

In vault every time a paladin piece of paladin loot drops there is other paladins qq'ing trying to offspec it. Just the other day a paladin QQ'ed so hard he left the 10man VoA when he was told he couldn't offspec the t9 gloves over the ret paladin. When i looked up the paladin he was main holy with a prot offspec.

Maybe its bad luck, i'm not sure but so far in my experiences I find paladin's to be lootwhores and attract lootwhores.

Ridill
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

The worst Ive seen loot whoreing was a warrior I had in a group, he rolled on everything tank and dps wise a war could equip. We started with VH and he rolled on the staff that dropped saying he wanted it since his wepaons sucked, we get to TOC and he rolls on hunter peices, a rogue/cat dps peice, and rolled on tanking sword and shoulders. I later looked and he was main spec arms using 1 handers and had no off spec.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
    The worst Ive seen loot whoreing was a warrior I had in a group, he rolled on everything tank and dps wise a war could equip. We started with VH and he rolled on the staff that dropped saying he wanted it since his wepaons sucked, we get to TOC and he rolls on hunter peices, a rogue/cat dps peice, and rolled on tanking sword and shoulders. I later looked and he was main spec arms using 1 handers and had no off spec.
    I would have kicked him for looting the staff lol, he's going to vendor that thing.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast