Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Better?     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Currently working on gear sets for Paladin, and its pretty brand new in terms of tanking. I just recently got it to 75, and have only tanked Fafnir/Nidhogg, and did pretty well.

When it comes to tanking, I've tanked a decent amount of HNMs as NIN/DRK, and still consider that as my main... though its too early to tell since I lack a ton of experience on PLD.

In terms of gear sets, what should I focus on? Currently I have...
    - Idle
    - Haste
    - Shield for ichi cast
    - Enmity

I'm still working on an HP build. I'll post screenshots as soon as possible.

EDIT: In terms of gear, I'm pretty much lacking homam. I currently use Askar hands/feet, and swap in Dusk feet for my haste build. Currently full-timing Askar Hands.

Also... not sure if this is the appropriate thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerull View Post
    She/he only has 113 INT in that current setup, 120 with food. Dropping the DH+1 for relic would make it 114, 109 if not nuking with Ice (like say for Tiamat or Kirin). That's not enough INT for even Tiamat or Khimaira, much less higher INT mobs like Jorm or Kirin. Goliard feet will be giving 4 INT and 6 magic acc, which I'll generally take over Nashira's 7 magic acc.
    So what ? There is no "needed int" for any NM. 2 INT either adds +2 or +1. Goliard gives at best 6 magic acc and nashira gives always 7..

Quote Originally Posted by Nerull View Post
    Not with only 109 INT they aren't.
    I see, at which point would they become +4? At dINT=+10?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Despain View Post
    I'm still working on an HP build.
    Forget that, and go for Cure cheat build.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Currently working on gear sets for Paladin, and its pretty brand new in terms of tanking. I just recently got it to 75, and have only tanked Fafnir/Nidhogg, and did pretty well.

When it comes to tanking, I've tanked a decent amount of HNMs as NIN/DRK, and still consider that as my main... though its too early to tell since I lack a ton of experience on PLD.

In terms of gear sets, what should I focus on? Currently I have...
    - Idle
    - Haste
    - Shield for ichi cast
    - Enmity

I'm still working on an HP build. I'll post screenshots as soon as possible.

EDIT: In terms of gear, I'm pretty much lacking homam. I currently use Askar hands/feet, and swap in Dusk feet for my haste build. Currently full-timing Askar Hands.

Also... not sure if this is the appropriate thread.
    MDT set would be next on the list I think.

But it depends on the events you do and the mobs you camp.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Quote Originally Posted by Argettio View Post
    MDT set would be next on the list I think.

But it depends on the events you do and the mobs you camp.
    I have some pieces of equipment for a magic resist build already, but not worthy of mentioning because their so minor (merman's earrings, rings, resentment cape, and NQ laman kaman -.-.

I'm spamming campaign to at least get the body and legs for the iron ram set, and currently saving up gil to HQ my laman kaman, and buy other AH-able gear, such as Cerb mantle, and hades' earrings.

@wop; thats what I meant by HP gear, guess I should have clarified. I've got a few pieces already, such as BQR and intruder earring (which only works in certain areas). Going to eventually camp Bloodsucker, and purchase a cassie earring.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

MDT build is lame.
    Waste of space. Don't tell me you are going to macro in MDT gear when you see every move like Dreadstorm or Lava Spit.

JoL yes...but not worth all the trouble for just ONE mob in game, unless you're in a sea specific LS. Ultima? people still stuck in 2006?

Go for Cure cheat build before you even start thinking of MDT.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Quote Originally Posted by wop View Post
    MDT build is lame.
    Waste of space. Don't tell me you are going to macro in MDT gear when you see every move like Dreadstorm or Lava Spit.

JoL yes...but not worth all the trouble for just ONE mob in game, unless you're in a sea specific LS. Ultima? people still stuck in 2006?

Go for Cure cheat build before you even start thinking of MDT.
    Well alright.

Question about the gear I idle in, though. What should I be focusing on? For instance, the one piece I change out from my enmity set is to my Parade Gorget to get that extra refresh tick.

Atonement set(s) questions:

Here are my two atonement idle sets; one with refresh, one without. Pretty basic:

Set 1 (w/ Refresh):

Joy|Koenig|Kaman+1|
    ???|Parade|Brutal|Ethereal
    Ares|Homam|???|???
    Cuch|Swift|Homam|Homam

Set 2 (w/o Refresh):

Joy|Koenig|Kaman+1|
    ???|PCC|Brutal|Ethereal
    Homam|Homam|???|???
    Cuch|Swift|Homam|Homam

First the ring slots: I have Ulthalam's, Rajas, Woodsman available right now, and can get an Iota in the very near future. I know Toreador/Sniper+1 would be best, but I'm looking for other (cheaper) alternatives at the moment. Of the rings I listed (including Iota), which would be best?

Now for the head: Right now I use Turban for the head slot in both sets, but I am curious if Ares head would be better there under certain circumstances, like if I had 2x march + haste perhaps. I don't have Ares mask yet, but I'm wondering how it would fare in these sets or if it's mostly useless to me. If the latter is true, it will help me rearrange my priorities a bit. XD

For both questions, assume I'm using them for higher level (H)NMs and such.

Thanks!

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

It really depends.
    Do you have optimal support? Ghorn brd giving u ballad2 and madrigral, while nq brd march x2?
    Against what mobs? Do you have other refresh gear like Ares body?
    When I tanked, I even used Ancient Torque most of the time, switching to Parade only if I see my MP is low-ish.

There's no such thing as a specific build for all situations.
    But if you want one, here's a generic PLD build.
    Baha Mask
    Ares Body
    Valor Cape
    Swift
    Homam x3
    That, IMO is a generic PLD.

TSwiftie
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Thanks for the replies~ I don't have Goilard feet, but I can farm up a pair~ I do well with my setup, I always parse 2nd/3rd in damage, but well below our top nuker who has better gear to choose from(namely, Morri stuffs). When I compared our sets, I was missing a lot INT comparably, so I wasn't sure if the best solution was to invest in more INT gear(and sacrificing Elemental/Acc) or get Elemental/Acc(and sacrifice INT) to compensate~

Since it wasn't mentioned, what do people feel about replacing earrings /w INT+2/Ele Skill+3? Is this considered unneeded?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

If only you could change your toon to a real taru in your avatar....

and INT5 instead of STR5 of course lol, you'll definitely be top parser.

There is no generic pld build, and ignore people that tell you that. Gear swap or stop playing the job.

Turban will outperform Ares mask in almost every situation, and especially when you have haste/marches.

Pick the rings that give the most acc.

Ares body vs. Homam is just based on the situation.

Parade vs. PCC is the same.

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Gurubashi

Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post
    There is no generic pld build, and ignore people that tell you that. Gear swap or stop playing the job.

Turban will outperform Ares mask in almost every situation, and especially when you have haste/marches.

Still working on atonement, so right now I'm still stuck in the past in terms of PLD/NIN tanking :/ probably why I still prefer NIN/DRK for most situations.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra View Post

That's what I just said. There's no one specific build that can cater for all situations But the generic set I listed above are norm for most situations if you were to have one set.

Cardiac Cat
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airlea Ocelot
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Aegwynn

Still working on atonement, so right now I'm still stuck in the past in terms of PLD/NIN tanking :/ probably why I still prefer NIN/DRK for most situations.
    Then just stick to NIN/DRK till you do really.

If you take the time to tweak out your idle sets for different scenarios and shit now, it's not going to matter once you get atonement and you'll end up just changing everything again.

Nerull

Quote Originally Posted by Starr View Post
    I see, at which point would they become +4? At dINT=+10?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    So what ? There is no "needed int" for any NM. 2 INT either adds +2 or +1. Goliard gives at best 6 magic acc and nashira gives always 7..
    I'm saying that they don't have enough INT to surpass said mobs' INT+10, so they will still be getting the full benefit from INT=Magic acc. Not that there's a "needed int".

4 INT will outdamage 1 magic accuracy over time.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Need a bit of help, and can't seem to find it through searching. There seems to be conflicting opinions about evasion and evasion skill dependent on with whom I am speaking. 2 glaring examples that were recently posted on another site and seem to very well illustrate two sides are:

anonymous user 1 - "Every evasion skill point is evasion +2"

anonymous user 2 - "1 Evasion skill = .9 evasion after 200, just as 1 Combat skill = .9 accuracy after 200."

In user 1's opinion skill far outweighs that of straight evasion whereas user 2 would argue that straight evasion has a slight advantage and is obviously not superior.
    Does anyone have any numbers to back either up, or a thread that already answered this question?

As a point of reference, I am a 75thf with the intention of putting together the best evasion build I can.

Thank you in advance^^

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Chen View Post
    ok, without h8n too much on my gear.

working on self cure macro for hate, atm i have 370hp cured, 371 swapped off, using the following:
    macua+1/koenig/lamian+1/---
    aegishjalmer/ritter/etheral/cassie
    ACPpldstandard/homam/herc/BQR
    luitentants(40hp)/warwolf/af2/homam

would 40hp<-> cerb mantle be wise?
    etheral<->loq?

any other obvious suggestions? i'm willing to drop a couple of mil for noticeable improvements (i'm thinking hospiterler earring + gigant mantle...)
    i tried for a self cure build while back but gave up since i couldnt give up the inv space... if you can handle lossing a few hundred HP. get a berserker's torque.

best situation ive made use of this at kirin when we straight tank w/ 2hrs down. swap it in n out when needed for hate n sleepga

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Aresfury View Post
    Need a bit of help, and can't seem to find it through searching. There seems to be conflicting opinions about evasion and evasion skill dependent on with whom I am speaking. 2 glaring examples that were recently posted on another site and seem to very well illustrate two sides are:

anonymous user 1 - "Every evasion skill point is evasion +2"

anonymous user 2 - "1 Evasion skill = .9 evasion after 200, just as 1 Combat skill = .9 accuracy after 200."

In user 1's opinion skill far outweighs that of straight evasion whereas user 2 would argue that straight evasion has a slight advantage and is obviously not superior.
    Does anyone have any numbers to back either up, or a thread that already answered this question?

As a point of reference, I am a 75thf with the intention of putting together the best evasion build I can.

Thank you in advance^^
    1. I think the first person is confusing evasion skill with the meritable evasion skill improvements which give 2 skill per step.

2. This has been suggested but not proven because there really is no way to know for sure. It makes sense but there are other skill stats that do not scale in the same manner.

I would suggest that even if that were the case, evasion skill may have some effect on level correction or other aspects of accuracy that evasion itself would not effect. This would mean that the more skill you have would mean that you have a better chance to evade a mob with a higher level than you while evasion would have diminishing returns on mobs that are higher level than you. In other words, it could mean that for accuracy corrections the game looks at skill vs. skill to determine what the correction is before determining whether the hit will land or not.

I have no proof of this assertion at all, it's just what I always theorized as to why evasion skill seemed to improve the ability to avoid attacks more than straight evasion.

Take those ideas for what you will... /shrug

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 74 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 ... LastLast