+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hoarders     submit to reddit submit to twitter

I cringe, because that was family at one point. (Dead family, now.)

Thankfully, not to the "leaving piles of rotting food/diapers everywhere" stage, but every closet and bare space available was piled with stuff, stuff, and more stuff. Cleaning out the junkfest took a month- and part of the worst of it was finding a dozen credit cards in the whole mess, neatly hidden. She'd been having stuff shipped in from QVC and shop-at-home networks and was using one card to pay off other cards, and so on...if she hadn't died suddenly, she'd have been bankrupt in short order anyway. Or crushed under her own junk piles.

Quote Originally Posted by Zetanio View Post
    I want to find these people and just torch their house. Problem solved!
    Actually, that is often my thoughts after seeing these places. Purge it with fire, cause I've had to CLEAN one of those shitholes up.

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

it makes me wonder, how badly do people on bg "hoard"? I think most people are hoarders to some degree they just don't realize it. And if you notice most of the people on the show are older, and for a lot of them it just got out of control over time.

My mom is a good example. she's not even close to show-worthy, but she used to have in their closest like 70+ pairs of shoes lying on the bottom. They were all worn out but she had a hard time throwing them away thinking "I might want to wear them someday". We used to have tons of coats in our coat closet too cause she always loved buying a new coat every other winter, but didn't want to throw the old ones away.

After pestering for awhile I got her to clean them out. But ya...

ontop of that, their garage is completely full of random crap. They love to go to yard sales, but they end up putting everything in the garage. My uncle was going to immigrate to America to get the medicine he needs so my parents kept buying more and more furniture n' stuff for when he moved here. Sadly, he passed away about 2 months ago. but they can't bring themselves to get rid of all the stuff they bought.

Luckily, their house is spotless, but the garage is going to burst at the seems eventually. I don't know what they'll do with stuff once they can't put things in there anymore.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

I wouldn't say I'm a hoarder, so much as I can be a bit lazy and generally cba to give a shit until it becomes pretty messy. I tend to go in waves too, like clean, messy, messier, clean it, messy again etc.

okay guy I guess
    BG Level

and obv. nowhere approaching 'messy' relative to the show lol

generally hoarders feel a lot of shame about it, or are in complete denial. So if someone on a BG was a hoarder they'd either never admit it, or just call themself a collector because they're unwilling to admit (to themselves) that the problem is that bad

Most of the people on the show are only on there because their family or the city/county forces them to, it seems

Sea Torques
    BG Level

oh my god this is fucking horrible (not the show itself but, the state of the families cause of the hoarders) ; ;

You wouldn't know that though because you've demonstrably never picked up a book nor educated yourself on the matter. Let me guess, overweight housewife?
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Allyra Arianos
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    WoW Realm
    Windrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Atreides View Post
    So if someone on a BG was a hoarder they'd either never admit it, or just call themself a collector because they're unwilling to admit (to themselves)
    oh I wouldn't expect anyone to be that bad, or at least admit they are. I just meant to what extent. Hoarding doesn't necessarily mean living in your own shit. As I said, i think everyone is a hoarder to some degree. Just you may not realize all the things you're keeping that you don't need.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Lex Luger
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl
    WoW Realm
    Demon Soul

I loved how they had a Lazy-Boy recliner covered in kitty litter and cat shit, and the lady was actually sifting through it with her hands like... you're going to keep that chair? Just take the whole chair and throw it out. Then the crew lists like 70 items to see what they can discard and she OK's one fucking item.

oh my god

tonight's episode was ridiculous

yknow every time I see a particularly bad house (specifically the ones that are covered in cat/human feces) I think "wow, they'll never find one worse than this" and sure enough, this week was worse

I like to eat food
    BG Level

13 dead cats and years of cat piss/shit. Yeah that was horrible. I can't believe that woman wanted to go through the bags that say bio hazard on them saying she can wash them. She was definitely the worst. The other woman wasn't that bad. I was actually impressed that for the most part her house/apartment was clean, it was just really cluttered.