+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

BG Legal: Foreclosure question

So my friend is getting married soon and he is currently living at his fiancee's house. He stopped paying on his place and plans on defaulting on his mortgage. Supposedly he doesn't care what it does to his credit since he doesn't plan on moving any time soon. (I know, he better hope that his marriage works out.)

Anyway, here is where I come in. We gotta get him moved out by the end of the month before the bank forecloses. He doesn't really care about all his crap. In fact, he wants to trash, donate, give away, or yard sale all of it. He already moved out the stuff he wants to keep, like his TV. I say, instead of me busting my ass helping him move, why not just leave that stuff in the house and let the bank deal with it?

BG Legal, what are the ramifications of him leaving all his junk at the house so that someone else can dispose of it?

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Nothing, it'll be auctioned off.

His name will be attached to all of the fees required to dispose of it as long as the property is in his name when the disposing takes place. If the garbage violates any county or city trash ordinances, he will be fined if it is his responsibility at the time of the citation. If he does not care though, sounds like he is being careless and deserves to learn about what that means.

Any way...
    He might be able to qualify for low income housing support due to recent laws passed. Major banks have information on their pages now regarding these fed/govt programs, attempting to help low income homeowners avoid losing their mortgages. Also for his new wife, shared credit is in the future, he might want to at least consider her.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I fucking hate people like your friend.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

Sounds like a terrible idea (the abandonment of property, potential detriment to his credit, and the marriage).

He should just stick the stuff he wants in storage for the first few months while he sorts out his marriage and makes sure that's where he wants to be. Worst thing that can happen is he realizes she's a horrible bitch, she leaves him, and then he's got no woman, nowhere to live, no TV, and no couch to watch it on. Best case scenario she now owns his house, his TV, and he needs to ask permission to sit on the couch.

Oh but uh... He'll definitely be responsible for fees associated with liquidation, as posted above.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

You keep some pretty shitty bums for company there, wyrmtung.

Sandpaper Demon
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Snowman Emperor
    FFXIV Server
    Exodus
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Tell that idiot to get a job and grow up, if he just leaves all of his shit there he'll probably end up owing wayyy more than he even realizes already.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Why doesn't he just rent the place out and cover the rest of the mortgage?

EDIT: and his bad credit will affect her* since they are married

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

My roomate did this to an old apartment awhile back when I left for D.C. Came back and he let them basically throw everything out. Nearly 3 grand in cleaning charges in the apartment alone.

My mother defaulted on her house and had some crap left in there. The city threw everything away, didn't charge her a dime, and auctioned the house (Ironically at a price she could've afforded)

Its not worth the risk, that kind of stuff can chase your ass forever.

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

the "liquidation" doesn't typically cost banks anything. If the guy is leaving behind anything that can fetch cash, an auction company will auction the items off. Personally, I love it when people do shit like your friend is doing. It's a cheap way to get lawnmowers, outbuildings, golf clubs, and anything else you could possibly imagine.

If he's just leaving behind trash and junk, I have no idea. I'd assume the above is correct.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

I really hate how people think that trashing a place after they're getting foreclosed on/evicted is the right answer. Seriously, how immature do you have to be? It's hard to care when you're going bankrupt or whatever, I get that, but still. I saw a house where people smashed the toilet and put huge holes in all the walls, just because they couldn't afford to pay the bills on the place anymore and they were getting kicked out.

You wouldn't do that to your mom's house if she kicked you out. People need to learn how to grow up and accept responsibility for their actions, including consequences when their actions are not correct.

If you think you can manage to get him to not trash the place, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aksannyi View Post
    I really hate how people think that trashing a place after they're getting foreclosed on/evicted is the right answer. Seriously, how immature do you have to be? It's hard to care when you're going bankrupt or whatever, I get that, but still. I saw a house where people smashed the toilet and put huge holes in all the walls, just because they couldn't afford to pay the bills on the place anymore and they were getting kicked out.

You wouldn't do that to your mom's house if she kicked you out. People need to learn how to grow up and accept responsibility for their actions, including consequences when their actions are not correct.

If you think you can manage to get him to not trash the place, go for it.
    I'm pretty sure that the OP didn't say anywhere that his friend was going to trash the place. His friend just doesn't care if his shit that's still in the house gets trashed/auctioned/donated.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I recently purchased a foreclosure and it was in relatively good shape, however; I saw some where the common thing around here was people dumping concrete mix into the toilets. That is seriously pisses me off how people can ruin an entire house like that.

The 69th Donor
    Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kil'jaeden

Quote Originally Posted by CalaisDL View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the OP didn't say anywhere that his friend was going to trash the place. His friend just doesn't care if his shit that's still in the house gets trashed/auctioned/donated.
    I guess I misread it partially then, but it still fits within the topic of the thread since someone did bring it up.

uncompromising cuntnificence
    buh buh buh browsssssssss

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Fuck, if any of his shit is worth anything at all, take all his shit and list it on craigslist, take the money for yourself. You've got like 2 weeks; I think you'd be surprised what people will give you money for. Worst case scenario, nobody buys it and your friend picks up the tab for disposal/removal/etc. He really is a major asshole for trashing his future cash cow's credit though.

Canada
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mlle Skjie
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Madoran

Hope he doesn't get into an accident and need to buy a new car in a hurry or need to get a loan to cover surgery or anything.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

Have a redneck barbeque, burn all his shit in the front yard and cook sausages on it. Shazam, problem solved.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

My first job (I was 16) was during the summer of 98, cleaning up foreclosured homes, and many of them, were in a pretty deplorable state, much like what your friend is trying to pull here. This one house stood out because it had over 2 tons of crap we had to throw out. Yes, two tons. My boss/supervisor would pay the landfills by weight, so you can only imagine how that went. It was all in Tampa, and I happened to live in Miami at the time, but I would have all my expenses paid (food, housing, transportation), and I'm sure the bank/company (I think it was called Hud Homes) would not pay out of pocket, so those fees kind of add up.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Correction View Post
    You keep some pretty shitty bums for company there, wyrmtung.
    Well, most of my friends are upstanding citizens. I was kind of surprised when I found out that he was going this route. I didn't feel like digging further on his reasons why. I don't even know if he even tried putting the place on the market.

Anyway, it looks like most people think that they bank will bill him for the clean up. Sounds kind of fruitless to me. If someone isn't paying their mortgage then I doubt their going to pay their disposal bill.

I went to his house today to check out what kind of work is involved and there's not much. And there's definitely nothing there that I would want. He's got shitty taste. lol

And, no, he did not trash the house. He just has a lot of random stuff lying around. And some of it is furniture, like a kitchen table, sofa, and desk for example.

Is there an organization like Goodwill that will come over to pick up furniture donations?

Jellysaurus Rex
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

usually goodwill won't pick up, and there's a limit to how much you can donate to goodwill per day iirc

smaller thrift stores sometimes do pick up though, here in RIC the Diversity Thrift Store will pick up, but the SA and Goodwill won't.