+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

Can't call it as "sexual misconduct on the President's part."

DECORUM IN THE HOUSE AND IN COMMITTEES

Under section 370 of the House Rules and Manual it has been held that a Member could:

* refer to the government as “something hated, something oppressive.”
    * refer to the President as “using legislative or judicial pork.”
    * refer to a Presidential message as a “disgrace to the country.”
    * refer to unnamed officials as “our half-baked nitwits handling foreign affairs.”

Likewise, it has been held that a member could not:

* call the President a “liar.”
    * call the President a “hypocrite.”
    * describe the President’s veto of a bill as “cowardly.”
    * charge that the President has been “intellectually dishonest.”
    * refer to the President as “giving aid and comfort to the enemy.”
    * refer to alleged “sexual misconduct on the President’s part.”
    Is this a joke? I don't agree with what Joe Wilson said. He apologized that night, he can disagree but he apologized. Now congress is going to go into this? Such arrogance.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by eunhye View Post

Is this a joke? I don't agree with what Joe Wilson said. He apologized that night, he can disagree but he apologized. Now congress is going to go into this? Such arrogance.
    Yes. His fucking apology wasn't an apology. His apology went along the lines of "I was told to apologize by the head of the GOP so I'm apologizing."

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

this is the sort of thing that makes me loathe politics. he already apologized, let it fucking go already. and for the record (if it wasn't clear from my posts in this forum) I'm pretty liberal, so I'm not siding with my party or anything.

goddamn stupid petty worthless waste of time that only makes the democrats look like a bunch of whiny bitches.

Queen of the Pity Party
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    Yes. His fucking apology wasn't an apology. His apology went along the lines of "I was told to apologize by the head of the GOP so I'm apologizing."
    wait... what?

I take back my earlier post if this is true, I had no idea. what I read made it sound like he called the President of his own free will and apologized.

I still think it would be better just to let it go, as far as the court of public opinion goes. but I guess if this is true they're technically in the right.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Wilson said a resolution would show that Democrats simply wanted to play politics and divert attention from a health care overhaul that is lagging in Congress.
    Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

"I am not going to apologize again. I apologized to the president on Wednesday night. I was advised then that, 'Thank you, now let's get on to a civil discussion of the issues,'" Wilson said. "I've apologized one time. The apology was accepted by the president, by the vice president, who I know. I am not apologizing again."
    Just bias from rhinox.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Bob Inglis of South Carolina on Tuesday became the first Republican lawmaker to make a public appeal to Rep. Joe Wilson to apologize to his colleagues in the House of Representatives for yelling "You lie!" at President Barack Obama last week as he addressed Congress.

Inglis, who represents the conservative upstate section of South Carolina, said Wilson's apology to Obama immediately after his speech wasn't enough.

"Joe also broke House rules," Inglis said. "That problem could easily be fixed by an apology to the House. In the absence of an apology, the House could choose to police itself through a resolution of disapproval."
    Is this reason enough so congress can go create more "house rules"? Clearly a distraction even Obama addresses to which he'd rather focus on healthcare and not Joe Wilson.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

I can't find it where I heard it I'll keep on looking. But he is a douche and if you did research on his background you would see how much of a bigot and racist he really is.

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Regardless of whether or not he was told to do it by the House Minority Leadership, Wilson apologized directly to the President and that should have been the end of it. By going ahead with a semi-formal reprimand (it's not full formal - that would be a censure or worse) it just keeps an issue not related to legislating alive in the eyes of the public longer, makes the Dems in Congress look worse (at least it will have that effect in the potential swing districts) and just makes the gap between the parties that much wider, and makes Obama's clear efforts to close that gap more difficult.

By the way it looks like those rules were put into place in 1909, and I imagine there was a reason for it then. Maybe somewhere along the line in this country's history it was mutually decided that we try to be more civil than the British House of Commons. It's also clear that since at least 1992 that mutual decision has been ditched.

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

I just leave this right here.

Joe Wilson Voted to Provide Taxpayer Money for Illegal Immigrants' Healthcare - Blog - OpenCongress

Maybe he was looking in the mirror when he screamed "you lie"

Bring on the Revolution
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Olo401 View Post
    Regardless of whether or not he was told to do it by the House Minority Leadership, Wilson apologized directly to the President and that should have been the end of it. By going ahead with a semi-formal reprimand (it's not full formal - that would be a censure or worse) it just keeps an issue not related to legislating alive in the eyes of the public longer, makes the Dems in Congress look worse (at least it will have that effect in the potential swing districts) and just makes the gap between the parties that much wider, and makes Obama's clear efforts to close that gap more difficult.

By the way it looks like those rules were put into place in 1909, and I imagine there was a reason for it then. Maybe somewhere along the line it was mutually decided that we try to be more civil than the British House of Commons.
    Probably somewhat stemed from this Burr–Hamilton duel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia although it happen much later.

although I wouldn't be totally opposed to Joe biden shooting Joe wilson at this point

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinox View Post
    I just leave this right here.

Joe Wilson Voted to Provide Taxpayer Money for Illegal Immigrants' Healthcare - Blog - OpenCongress

Maybe he was looking in the mirror when he screamed "you lie"
    Erm, that would actually make him more of a hypocrite on the issue than a bigot or racist. Of course, he could be all three. You never know with Rs.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan
    WoW Realm
    Proudmoore

Any comment towards anyone in that chamber during that speech is just pointless. Did anyone else watch that shit? Anytime the camera panned to congress i saw the same behavior i would expect to see at a 2nd grade school assembly. Congressmen and women, the people we elected to represent us cant behave any better than 6 year olds. I saw grown men and women playing with their hair, texting, talking to their buddy, picking their nose. It was fucking embarrassing. If this ass has to apologize for his outburst, everyone else should apologize for being entirely unprofessional.

Ive sucked 27 dicks, in a row.
    BG Level

If he was really sorry, he'd have no problem apologizing to the same group that he disrespected by breaking decorum. A private apology to the President is half of what's required - he disrespected every one of his peers in that room when he opened his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by bigrougabagel View Post
    Any comment towards anyone in that chamber during that speech is just pointless. Did anyone else watch that shit? Anytime the camera panned to congress i saw the same behavior i would expect to see at a 2nd grade school assembly. Congressmen and women, the people we elected to represent us cant behave any better than 6 year olds. I saw grown men and women playing with their hair, texting, talking to their buddy, picking their nose. It was fucking embarrassing. If this ass has to apologize for his outburst, everyone else should apologize for being entirely unprofessional.
    Unfortunately, acting professionally has never been a requirement for *ANYTHING* involving politicians. The lack of such requirement, however, should not prevent enforcement of the few rules regarding acceptable behavior that they *DO* have.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Zosi View Post
    Unfortunately, acting professionally has never been a requirement for *ANYTHING* involving politicians. The lack of such requirement, however, should not prevent enforcement of the few rules regarding acceptable behavior that they *DO* have.
    You mean like this?

YouTube - Rep. Pete Stark (D-CA) Outrageous Remarks on House Floor

First of all, I’m just amazed that they can’t figure out– the Republicans are worried that we can’t pay for insuring an additional ten million children. They sure don’t care about finding $200 billion to fight the illegal war in Iraq. Where are you gonna get that money? You gonna tell us lies, like you’re telling us today? Is that how you’re going to fund the war? You don’t have the money to fund the war or children, but you’re going to spend it to blow up innocent people, if we could get enough kids to grow old enough for you to send to Iraq to get their heads blown off for the President’s amusement.

Demosthenes11

wow this isn't a complete waste of time or anything

mommy he was mean QQ make him apologize

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Sirrobin raped my children and kindnapped my mother.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

I'm sorry.

Demosthenes11

they were asking for it and you know it

Banned.

BG Level

He had floor time to speak he didn't rudely interrupt the presidents speech. Stop acting like a fucking crybaby because your team is losing validity so badly they have to have temper tantrums in public to be noticed.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Finesse View Post
    He had floor time to speak he didn't rudely interrupt the presidents speech. Stop acting like a fucking crybaby because your team is losing validity so badly they have to have temper tantrums in public to be noticed.
    Get Obama's dick out of your mouth once in a while.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast