+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FCC and stuff-     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

FCC and stuff-

does this mean anything?

FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski on Improving Broadband and Mobile Communications - Brookings Institution

Upcoming Event

A Discussion with Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski
    Improving Broadband and Mobile Communications

Broadband Policy, Information Technology, Telecommunications

Event Summary
    Recognizing the need to expand the U.S. broadband network to ensure America’s infrastructure and economic development, Congress tasked the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) with developing a national broadband plan by February 17, 2010. On September 21, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski will be making some announcements on the national broadband plan and other communications issues. The event will be web cast live, starting at 10:00 a.m.
    Monday, September 21, 2009
    10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
    Where

Falk Auditorium
    The Brookings Institution
    1775 Massachusetts Ave., NW
    Washington, DC
    Map

More Related Content »
    Darrell West, Brookings vice president and director of Governance Studies will discuss his new study on what consumers in four countries, including the United States, want from mobile communications. Other panelists will participate in a discussion about broadband and mobile communications and offer ideas for improving access in the United States.

After the program, panelists will take audience questions.

Edit: http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...58H59A20090918 <-- another link.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Last I heard they wanted to lower, and have a set "requirement" for the use of the word broadband. Don't know what in particular this is about, just something I remember reading/hearing somewhere.

netz

Quote Originally Posted by Minions View Post
    Last I heard they wanted to lower, and have a set "requirement" for the use of the word broadband. Don't know what in particular this is about, just something I remember reading/hearing somewhere.
    From 2008 comes this document from the FCC, stating:

"20. Accordingly, in order to gather more detailed and therefore useful information about subscription to broadband services, we revise Form 477 to establish an increased number of transfer speed categories, applicable to both download and upload service speeds. Specifically, the reporting tiers applicable to the reporting of both download and upload transfer rates under the new Form 477 collection are: (1) greater than 200 kbps but less than 768 kbps; (2) equal to or greater than 768 kbps but less than 1.5 mbps; (3) equal to or greater than 1.5 mbps but less than 3.0 mbps; (4) equal to or greater than 3.0 mbps but less than 6.0 mbps, (5) equal to or greater than 6.0 mbps but less than 10.0 mbps; (6) equal to or greater than 10.0 mbps but less than 25.0 mbps; (7) equal to or greater than 25.0 mbps but less than 100.0 mbps; and (8) equal to or greater than 100 mbps."

Comcast proposed a simpler set of broadband measures at the end of August 2009, dividing it into three tiers with minimums of 256Kbps for first-gen, 600Kbps for current-gen, and 12Mbps for next-gen. They also suggest that the FCC look at using a "Broadband Quality Score" instead of transfer rates to evaluate who is receiving service that actually qualifies as broadband.

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/downloa...eb/Comcast.pdf

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

in a related note:
    FCC chairman to outline rules for &#39;net neutrality&#39; - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The head of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is expected to outline rules on Monday requiring Internet providers to respect "net neutrality," the principle that all Web traffic should be treated equally.

FCC chairman Julius Genachowski is to make a speech at the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based think tank, on Monday during which he will "affirm his support for a free and open Internet," the FCC said.

The regulatory body did not provide any further details about Genachowski's speech, his first major pronouncement on the hotly contested issue since taking office.

But The Wall Street Journal and other newspapers said the FCC chairman would propose rules that would prevent Internet providers from blocking or slowing bandwidth-hogging Web traffic such as streaming video or other applications that put a strain on their networks.

During his White House campaign, President Barack Obama came out strongly in favor of net neutrality, which is backed by companies such as Google and Amazon and consumer advocacy groups, but opposed by telecommunications, wireless and cable companies such as AT&T, Verizon and Comcast.

The Journal, citing "people familiar with the plan," said Genachowski is expected to propose that rules against blocking or slowing Web traffic should also apply to wireless-phone companies, which currently restrict data flow over their airwaves to prevent congestion.

It said Genachowski was expected to propose that the FCC clarify its current net neutrality principles and add on a new one which would require carriers to practice "reasonable" network management.

It said the agency would ask for guidance on how to define "reasonable."

Internet providers in the past have rejected what they see as government interference in their networks and how they manage traffic.

The US Congress has also been looking into the issue and a net neutrality bill is expected to be introduced shortly in the House of Representatives.

I think the gov just wants more control and are wording it in such a way so not to scare or upset the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by Velgadess View Post
    [Net Neutrality]

I think the gov just wants more control and are wording it in such a way so not to scare or upset the general public.
    I disagree. It seems more to me that the government is looking to create a level of equity between competing companies, and at the same time, remove the ability of Telecommunications companies to arbitrarily restrict users.

In reality, all this will do is force the companies affected to re-structure their pricing models.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

i wonder what they talked on about-

Old Merits
    BG Level

I have a bad feeling about this.

I know the intentions are good, but does anyone else see this going in the direction of the Telecommunications companies changing their pricing structure in a ridiculous manner where we get even more screwed?

Resident Moogle
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

All I care about is that broadband/hi-speed will simply not mean "faster than dial-up" anymore. I want Canada to follow suit on this.

I just hope the tiers are described with general terms though, or else all companies will just 'make up' their own to make things confusing for customers and make one sound better than the competition's terminology of the tiers.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

i had just figured this sort of thing would have caused a bit more slightly outraged internet users having rights taken away etc etc, but all i see is other stuff being prioritized on the interwebs

I suppose this just is not that bad of a bit of news compared to so many other things goin on in the world now (Which is a damn good thing)

Old Merits
    BG Level

FCC Chairman is now the Internet Overseer. Including wireless and mobile web.

The Internet's New Enforcer: The FCC chairman appoints himself top cop on the World Wide Web. - Reason Magazine

My Little Ixion
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Olorin Bustyoas
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by Arnwulf View Post
    FCC Chairman is now the Internet Overseer. Including wireless and mobile web.

The Internet's New Enforcer: The FCC chairman appoints himself top cop on the World Wide Web. - Reason Magazine
    Nice op-ed from a website run by an former RNC chairman.