Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Secret World: Legends     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Red flags should have been waving when they're this close to release and they come out and say that most of the animations are placeholders.

I'll be giving this game a try this weekend but i have very little expectations.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Trying out the beta and damn the animations are horrible and stiff. The animations for just about every move is the same thing. However, on the plus side, I do like the setting and the story so far. Also, the voice acting is actually surprisingly good. Also, not every quest is about "kill 10 rats", lots of puzzle solving and investigation. Which is fun. Just finished a quest where I had to get my Solid Snake on and avoid being blown up. But, the bread and butter, the combat, is pretty bad. This isn't even close to competing with GW2.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rysan Wulfric
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

The combat is really nothing to write home about. Its ok, but after playing GW2, not being able to dodge things manually really is a downer. The best part is the atmosphere, the story, and the puzzle quests. There are so many homages to horror writers (Edgar Allan Poe, Stephen King, HP Lovecraft, etc), and the devs really did a good job on the puzzle quests. It kinda makes you feel a little bit like a detective. There are a few puzzle quests I have come across that give you almost zero direction on how to go about finishing them. They even have a web browser in game to help solve some of the puzzles. For example, for one quest I had to get some confidential files from a doctor, but his computer was password protected. There was a picture in his office that alluded to a song by his favorite composer, and the computer gave you a hint or two as well. With those clues, you could Google them and come up with the correct password: Vivaldi. If this ever goes F2P, I could see myself playing it quite a bit, but for a P2P game, I'm kinda iffy about it.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Holy shit shit at how terrible the character creator is. I was expecting APB and got something from 10 years ago. Also, there are no attractive females in this world, they all look like men with wigs.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Taisaijin
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

The character creator, the combat, pretty much all the character animations fall really short for me. It really is a shame because I think the story/concept is really awesome and it has a really cool atmosphere to it.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

That game has so much potential! When you log in, you have this feeling, i dont know how to explain. They really start out great, too bad it all goes to shit when you actually play. As it was said before: stiffy animations, shitty special effects, repetitive combat. Its like a bad GW2 copy. You get a katana f.e. learn 2 skills right away and keep hacking away until you get the rest of the skills. If it wouldnt be just 2 swings with the sword over and over, and these swings are stiffy as hell. Magic isnt any different. Graphic sucks. Those blocky cars when you enter london, god damn.

I was really hyped for this game. Yay, no classes, no levels, apocalyptic setting on our planet. I am dissapointed.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

This game is intense. FUNCOM went out of their way and made a special... a very special video game. First video shows some extreme snapshots and what not. The second video shows you how the Real Secret World looks like.

Amazing...

Wow I cannot believe they allowed this into beta phase.

Clever and witty, all together the ladies love the Nekura
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

If it were a real beta it'd be okay, but this close to release? lol.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Airewen Moonflower
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Yeah we are pretty close to release.

One of the classes is bugged. You can't even select it in the training room. The graphics are decent, but you can tell in some parts that they cut some major corners.

As others have stated here (and especially in mmorpg.com): the animation is pretty bad, the fighting/combat is bad/sluggish. The music is extremely repetitive. Special effects is also sub par. The monsters just stand there for the most part, you have to get in pretty close range to get aggro. The character creator is very restrictive/simplistic. The choices are so limited that it reminds me of MMORPGs from a decade ago. Most of the emotes don't work at all. There are tons of clipping and movement issues where you see yourself moving, but no animation. You can clip large buildings and most objects like I showed above.

The one, and only one thing they got right was: Questing. The voice overs behind them are very well done and a few of the quests are quite interesting, but that is about it. The problem is that you have 1/10th the amount of the quests and voice overs compared to lets say SWTOR.

In the starting area you only have a dozen or so NPCs you can interact with and talk to, and half of them bug out when you talk to them. You can't make other selections unless you log out or talk to another NPC and go back to them. The town is pretty big but feels lifeless, when you have over 100 NPCs either standing there or going in circles without any possible interaction at all.

The premise behind the game seems pretty awesome (hell even making a movie out of it). But the execution of it falls short in every area except for the very limited NPC interaction and voice overs. Oh and you have walls that disappear allowing you to see the empty background. At least the intro movie is pretty cool!

O: FUNCOM... putting the COM in FUN!!@@##

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Shuichi Shadowstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Yeah. I feel like the game is such wasted potential. I love those investigation quests. For me, they were the highlight of the beta weekend.

BG Staff
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Delayed till July 3rd

Honestly, it probably needs delayed longer than that. They really need to take some time and work on the actual gameplay. Combat is extremely boring and I feel like they took a huge step back from AoC. At least in AoC the combat felt more fluid and action oriented.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Taisaijin
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

The release from Funcom says it's for a better launch window.

it places The Secret World in a more positive launch window which will benefit the launch of the game
    I just can't see this game being successful. Really, the only thing that worked for me in that game was the concept of the world. Almost everything else in the game would need to be reworked/replaced.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by blindSharingan View Post
    The release from Funcom says it's for a better launch window.

I just can't see this game being successful. Really, the only thing that worked for me in that game was the concept of the world. Almost everything else in the game would need to be reworked/replaced.
    fixed that for you. But yeah, I see this game completely tanking super fast. Looks terrible outside of the world and overall concept. Concept looks terrible, animations looks terrible. And there is 0 publicity for the game

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trent Taisaijin
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    fixed that for you.
    Thanks lol. I actually do that alot...

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Beta key give away, just got mine so it's still active.

http://www.incgamers.com/2012/06/the...-key-giveaway/

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Grey Jorildyn
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion

I have two spare keys for all beta weekends if people want them. Just send me a PM.

make that three spare keys...

I don't care, make something up!
    BG Level

The game definitely has flaws and bugs (ran across numerous through the beta) but the general concept/story is great. I felt the dungeon's were really well done, minimal trash, including only the parts you want; bosses. Sample run a guild/community friend recorded of the second dungeon. I was tanking, he was healing (his pov).

I also really like the art/atmosphere of the game. Not many in our community are going to play TSW but myself and Maylei(Yumiya) in the video are going to until GW2 releases so anyone else from BG are welcome to join us.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...0-54-29-09.jpg

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

animations look so so so bad. I can't believe they are releasing such an ugly game. Figured they would have learned after AoC combat looked ugly as hell