+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Michigan Cop Confiscates Pot, Makes Brownies, "Overdoses", Calls 911

Michigan Cop Busted in Marijuana Brownie Overdose Call to 911 Avoids Charges

Michigan Cop Busted in Marijuana Brownie Overdose Call to 911 Avoids Charges
    May 18, 2007
    Salem-News

DEARBORN, Mich. - Mixed messages abound in a story about a 28-year old Dearborn, Michigan police officer named Edward Sanchez, who called 911 and said he and his wife were dying, from a marijuana brownie overdose. It turns out the weed was stolen from criminal suspects, and that is when this sadly comical story just starts to get traction.

It all began just over a year ago, on April 21st, 2006, when Edward Sanchez placed a phone call to 911 call from his home. During the 5-minute tape of the call, obtained by the Free Press, Sanchez tells an emergency dispatcher that he is convinced that he and his wife were overdosing on marijuana.

The 911 call has been all over TV and the Internet in the past few days, and we have it posted below, courtesy of YouTube and ignorancedenied.com.

"I think we're dying," he said. "We made brownies and I think we're dead, I really do."

The call is not overly graphic in nature, but it is fairly incredible that an officer of the law would risk his career in such a way. Private information like the officer's address has been bleeped out.

Some regard the ultimate lack of prosecution or seeming accountability in the case, as a sad testimony to the life with "the privilege of a few in blue."
    Others call it a story about a bad apple, which most organizations have at least one of, and the fact that he is a police officer is the only thing that makes it sensational and publicized. It does amount to the same treatment that a celebrity receives for simple offenses like drunk driving. Either way, the word on this one is out, and most people still seem to believe that police officers should be held to a higher standard.

For many, the 911 call is nothing less than a blatant testimony about the lack of education that exists between marijuana use, and its relationship to a person's health. Marijuana is something that countless millions of Americans use with some degree of regularity. But laws stemming back to the 1930's that are still in effect on a federal level, have made marijuana a silent subject that most users do not dare to ask questions about.
    The thing is, you expect the story to go like this... "The officer was relieved of his position and charged with stealing criminal evidence and disorderly conduct. He was also faces a charge of possession of marijuana."

But instead, The AP reports that Sanchez managed to avoid criminal prosecution, even though he admitted taking the marijuana and, with his wife, baking it into brownies.

He told the dispatcher over the telephone that they used "A quarter ounce" of marijuana when they made the brownies and added that they ate them all.

His wife, 26-year old Stacy Sanchez, voluntarily told police investigators that on another occasion, she removed cocaine from her husband's police cruiser that was part of the department's drug dog training program. She then went on a reported three-week coke binge. Stacy Sanchez has not been charged criminally either.

The Dearborn Police department's choice to not pursue a case against former Cpl. Edward Sanchez led to an outcry from several notable people in Michigan, including Dearborn City Councilman Doug Thomas.

He told a reporter that he will investigate, citing the conflict between being a police officer who arrests people for drug offenses, and confiscating it to keep for yourself.

Wayne State University criminal law professor David A. Moran described Sanchez's behavior as problematic, and he applied the same assessment of the Police Department's decision not to charge him.

"It is not as unusual as it should be for the police to look the other way when an officer commits an infraction, but this is a lot worse than the average police officer speeding a little bit," Moran told The AP.

WDIV-TV Local 4 in Dearborn reports that Dearborn Police Cmdr. Jeff Geisinger left a phone message with them, relaying that Sanchez resigned during an internal investigation. Geisinger then failed to return subsequent calls to the TV station.

It is fair to say that many people who face similar circumstances in this country see a substantially different outcome, including arrest, court, prosecution, fines, jail and prison time. Then there is always probation, and private corporations offering counseling that a person is mandated to attend and pay for.

Sanchez resigned last year from the police department in this suburb of Detroit. He declined comment Wednesday to the Detroit Free Press. It is also reported that Police Cmdr. Jeff Geisinger failed to reply to additional calls seeking comment.

Sanchez offered two versions of how they came into contact with the marijuana; at one point he said that his wife took the marijuana out of his police vehicle while he was sleeping. In a subsequent interview, he admitted he got the marijuana out of the car himself and put it in the brownie mix, police said.

Hopefully in the future, Dearborn, Michigan Police will show the public that they are an organization with accountability. In spite of legal medical marijuana, there is an example that needs to be made and carried out by all of us, but particularly police officers, elected officials, public representatives and members of the clergy and education. You have to pass a drug screening exam by urinating in a bottle to get a job at Wal-Mart, but to this day members of Congress are exempt from any such scrutiny.

Indeed, fairness and logic seems all too often in short supply these days, and people like Edward Sanchez need to talk the talk and walk the walk if he is enforcing the law.

You can hear the entire 911 call by clicking here
    Video of news story covering this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1kTZRcKZ6Y

I'm really trying to be outraged by the fact that the cop isn't getting in trouble, but I'm laughing to damn hard to care.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

Race?

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

Cops need some pot brownies. They have a difficult time dealing with the low lives of this world.

Brown Recluse
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

lolMichigan

Electric Six groupie
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jayne Barsala
    FFXIV Server
    Lamia

This was all over my morning radio......2 years ago. I don't like saying "Old", but seriously.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

Overdose on pot lols. How many fucking brownies he eat, 2 tonnes?

YOU BLACK, MIDNIGHT, EVIL MOTHERFUCKERS!!! BLACK MAGIC, DARKNESS!!! YOU RAW, DARKNESS!!! YOU, FUCKING, DELIRIOUS MOTHERFUCKER!
    You were cold as ice.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sho Ryuuken
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Cream Soda View Post
    Race?
    Edward Sanchez

Just making a subtle inference, lol.

I'm more gentle than I look.
    Mr. Feathers AKA Mr. Striations
    All hail Lord Yamcha

BG Level

xD

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    This was all over my morning radio......2 years ago. I don't like saying "Old", but seriously.
    Yeah just noticed the dates. Why are we posting shit from a couple years ago?

Hey did you hear about the Hindenburg?

http://ecotality.com/life/wp-content...hindenburg.gif

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Pot is such an easy and pretty harmless drug to use and these idiots manage to screw it up. Wrap it. Smoke it. These greedy bastards had to bake it. There is no justice.

Sponsored by Orton
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Quote Originally Posted by Dimmauk View Post

http://ecotality.com/life/wp-content...hindenburg.gif
    I'm clearly also laughing too hard to pay attention to dates. I just saw it pop up from a friend and couldn't stop laughing my ass off, so here you go. You can laugh at the story and me failing. Win/win.

Gunitsoldier

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybar View Post
    this. srsly did you like JUST discover the internet or something?

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...atee-20192.jpg

The manatee was allright though yeah? YEAH?!

Banned.

BG Level

This is olde.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

new content is coming by really really really slow and i think it might by dying

Brown Recluse

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

We need a weird news thread so people can just shit up one thread?

Like this,

Man sues BofA for "1,784 billion, trillion dollars"
    Reuters

By Joe Rauch Joe Rauch – Fri Sep 25, 1:21 pm ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Dalton Chiscolm is unhappy about Bank of America's customer service -- really, really unhappy.

Chiscolm in August sued the largest U.S. bank and its board, demanding that "1,784 billion, trillion dollars" be deposited into his account the next day. He also demanded an additional $200,164,000, court papers show.

Attempts to reach Chiscolm were unsuccessful. A Bank of America spokesman declined to comment.

I slept through a Marilyn Manson concert after eating 2 pot brownies.

</coolstory>

Ridill
    BG Level

Pretty sure this was posted here when it happened.

http://ecotality.com/life/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/hindenburg.gif
    http://7.media.bustedtees.com/busted...a56d0bd007.gif

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Ardreul Galawen
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Plow View Post
    Pretty sure this was posted here when it happened.
    It was.