Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    YOU ARE SEARED
    Dungeon Master of the House of Weave

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I realize I'm in the minority on this, but I rather like the feral rotation, it keeps me thinking >_>

The only time that it's a pain in the ass is on something like Hodir where you have to move in and out constantly.

E. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Arathor

JOOOOOOOOOOOOOHN FUUUUUUUUCKINH MAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDDEEEEEENNNNNNNNNN

Chram
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Xerlic Jilrak
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Wow, a lot of good replies. Thanks for the advice. Druid sounds like a good class to play. My friend actually recommended druid to me from the get-go since I love RDM from FFXI, but I wanted to play Horde and I think Taurens look like ass.

What exactly is meant by routines?

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic View Post
    Wow, a lot of good replies. Thanks for the advice. Druid sounds like a good class to play. My friend actually recommended druid to me from the get-go since I love RDM from FFXI, but I wanted to play Horde and I think Taurens look like ass.

I believe you mean rotations.

Threat in WoW is not like it is in FFXI. Tanks have good enough threat that the job of dps is to get the most damage they possibly can while not standing in the fire.

The best way to explain it to someone from FFXI would be a lot like rdm-- refresh > haste > refresh > haste > phalanx2 > haste > refresh > blah blah, in an organized order.

I haven't been playing other classes lately and paladin is hard to explain, but when I was playing mage my rotation was basically:

Arcane blast x3 > Arcane missiles if missile barrage procs, Arcane barrage if not > rinse and repeat.

Paladin dps meanwhile works on a "First come first serve" rotation, meaning we have a set of moves from which we will use whichever one comes available as soon as it does. And then there's a priority system for which we'll use if 2 come up at the same time.

Campaign
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Heart Underblade
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Quote Originally Posted by Xerlic View Post

I started off as a hunter because they level so damn fast, but thinking about it now, I should've leveled druid because they're so damn versatile endgame and relatively easy to gear (oh what the heck, they're too easy to gear).

ie. a mediorce geared feral DPS druid can easily match other DPS with way higher gear.

druid can tank/heal/dps, you can do everything with just 1 class.

and lastly alliance ftw! go roll night elf

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

WoW is a hard game.

Druid is a very nice class to have as a main right now, instant flight form makes gathering professions simply delightful and you can play ANY role currently in the game as well as any other class can. Physical DPS, Tank, Magical DPS, Healer. Moonkin is the only spec that is really "mediocre" and even then they still out-dps shadow priests and shamans in simulations. Cat(Phys DPS) and Tree(Healing) are both easily in competition for the title of "Best".

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME
    Coolest Monkey In The Jungle

BG Level

First 20 or so levels of druid sucks balls though imo. Ugh. I guess if it's your first class you won't really know the difference, but I always found druid one of the hardest classes for me to get into leveling. Starts out pretty slow compared to a melee class or something like mage that is all DPS.

My suggestion to OP is to play a couple classes to 10-15 or so and see how you feel about them.

Ridill
    BG Level

First 10-15 levels don't tell you anything about like any class.

My advice is to either go through this process here or with someone else you trust:

"Do you want to be a tank, dps, or heal?"

If tank:

"Do you want to be able to dps when needed, or heal when needed, or either one?"

If dps:

"Ranged or melee? Pet or straight up? Crazy goofy turkey dude or pew pew mage?"

If heals:

Same question as tank, plus

"Do you want to be a big heals on tank style healer or a hot and heal everyone role?"

And then of course a few more specific questions.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

You're right you learn nothing about the class mechanics in the first 15 levels....

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Day View Post
    First 20 or so levels of druid sucks balls though imo. Ugh. I guess if it's your first class you won't really know the difference, but I always found druid one of the hardest classes for me to get into leveling. Starts out pretty slow compared to a melee class or something like mage that is all DPS.

My suggestion to OP is to play a couple classes to 10-15 or so and see how you feel about them.
    If druid is your first class and you are coming from FFXI, you will still thinks its faster then all hell. Better to do this first(and maybe the first 30 levels of priest) before you start anything else so you have nothing to compair it too.

And regarding druid leveling, from 50+ it was by a long shot the fastest and easiest to level of the 5 eighties (mage/hunter/lock/druid/rogue) I have and most of the ones I chose are EZ mode. (well pre BG XP changes at least, my priest is leveling faster than any of them now and he just raid heals AV's).

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

You're right you learn nothing about the class mechanics in the first 15 levels....
    I'm hoping that's not sarcasm because it's a pretty true statement; every class I've played doesn't come into their own element until at least their 20s. Warrior is charge in and afk until your white hits kill it, Rogue is a warrior without armor, Mage is frostbolt spam, Hunter is press buttons 1 and 2 until dead, etc.

They simply don't give you enough of your abilities to really get a feel for how the class is supposed to play, and then you hit 20something and are given just the right ability that things just click. Rogue gets Distract and Cheap Shot, Warrior gets Improved Overpower by this point in talents and Cleave, Hunters get Freezing Trap to make group kills a breeze, etc.

These are all class staples and to say "I get how this class works" without them is dumb.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

Yeah I think you get the point though. You know how a fucking mage playability is at 15 vs a warrior. Whatevs though you guys know it all apparently.

Yeah I think you get the point though. You know how a fucking mage playability is at 15 vs a warrior. Whatevs though you guys know it all apparently.
    Lol? Mage at level 15 is nothing like Mage at level 80, not sure what you're trying to say to be honest, leveling any amount of classes to level 15 is useless as you're not going to know whether you'll like them for endgame.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

No shit? I'm not trying to say you know what it feels like at 80. What game on earth is like that? The guy has never played the game before... it's just my opinion that it would be a good idea to take a couple different classes to 15 or so... take it or leave it I really don't care.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I have to agree with Day on this one. There's no harm in trying out a couple classes to the 15-20 range to get a feel for them if someone wants to. Granted, as people have said, a lot of classes don't come into their full or near full functionality until 20+, but it's still a good basis.

The argument that's being made (You can't figure out a class that quick) is asinine, just because you can't use 51 talent abilities and have a full set of spells doesn't mean you can't get a feel for a class. Saying that it's not a good grasp of the classes full functionality at 15-20 is true though. Except Druid.

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I think we crossed paths in making our points, mine wasn't that you can't get a feel for a class early but more specifically that 15 is a bad point to judge it by, and every class needs to get to around 20 to really get a feel for it. Rogue absolutely sucks balls at 15, and becomes a killing machine at 22...Warrior's killing speed doubles when you get Cleave and Imp Overpower...Mages get Blizzard and Evocation at 20, reducing the frequency with which they have to stop to drink and the ability to start doing aoe packs if they want...Hunters get AotV for keeping their mana up...Warlocks get their Succubus...I could go on.

20 is obviously a turning point for virtually every class, and many of the gripes people can come up with from early levels of any given one are generally addressed at this point.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

OK OP level every class to 80 and play what feels best.

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

I'm butthurt and so will take every counterpoint to an irrational extreme.

IMPERIAL CONCUBINE OF ME

BG Level

Actually I had a big post typed up with rational thoughts but it's clear that's not getting through.

I didn't shit all over everyone else's suggestions to help so I don't see what the big deal is over my suggestion to try out a few different classes instead of taking everyone's word for it and just leveling what someone tells you to.

YOU ARE SEARED

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Where did I say trying out a few classes was bad? I was trying to add some precision to your suggestion, in that levels 10-15 show you very little, while every class gets a fundamental facelift at ~20.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast